OSU-COM Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1) Sit on your butt this summer and enjoy it, I'd skip that whole histo summer stuff. 2) On the housing issues, I lived in westport my first year (single man) and it was "okay" no real issues, though I knew people who had things broken into. Back in May I bought a house on northside of owasso, I take State Highway 75 south to school and even in the peak morning hours of traffic I still can go the speed limit or more and make it in 20 or so minutes. I think that is an advantage over places like Broken arrow which that drive can get congested in a hurry. The prices of housing while they were going up were cheaper than a comparable house in a place like jenks. Also, i have come to like the drive, it kinda of allows you time to decompress before you get home from school (you'll need it after an afternoon in the anatomy and histo labs ). With brand new shopping centers and good school district I would definitely keep Owasso in mind.
Finally, Congratulations to you all! You'll really like it at OSU!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I got accepted a few weeks ago. Just checking out some of the classmates and very excited to be in Tulsa this fall. OSUCOM was by far my first choice so I'm one happy dude.
Yeah, thought about that summer class but won't be able to do it. Prob a good thing. But I do wish that I had taken a histo class.

Hey everyone. I got accepted a few weeks ago. Just checking out some of the classmates and very excited to be in Tulsa this fall. OSUCOM was by far my first choice so I'm one happy dude.
Yeah, thought about that summer class but won't be able to do it. Prob a good thing. But I do wish that I had taken a histo class.

Congratulations on joining the crew! Are you going to the Admitted Student's day in June? I would highly recommend it...it was alot of fun meeting the classmates when I went in March.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good news ... just got an email from Dr. Fernandes so I figured I'd share:

I am thrilled to be able to share with you that the new graduate school rankings are out – we have climbed to 30th in primary care and 14th in rural health. Our US News and World Report rankings are a direct reflection of our quality students, talented faculty and dedicated staff. Thanks to all of you for making OSU Medicine the state's top-ranked medical school.

America's Best Graduate Schools 2008 from US News and World Report

does anyone have an idea about how much books will cost for the first year?

Congratulations on joining the crew! Are you going to the Admitted Student's day in June? I would highly recommend it...it was alot of fun meeting the classmates when I went in March.

Thanks a lot. Yeah, I'm really going to try and make it. Right now I'm driving truck until august, but hopefully I can take off.

so i was just curious if any of you knew anyone doing the DO/PhD program. more specifically what they thought of the programs strengths/weaknesses...
by the way im an incoming (2011) DO only student. Oh and whats up with these admitted student days? i haven't received any email about them:(

Congratulations to the new OSUCOM class. I'm a third year and will be moving from Tulsa in July. Our rent house will be available Aug. 1 and the landlord said he would prefer another student family. private message me if you are interested. Here are the specs: 3 bed, 1 bath, one car garage and big back yard. 31st and Harvard (30th st. exactly). 10 min from school and hospital. It's $695/mo now, but I don't know if they are going up with the rent.

Hello, my fellow OSU students!!

Ok, I have a question. I wasn't able to attend the admitted student day in March, so I'll be going to the one in June. But in the meantime, I was checking out tablet PC prices and whatnot. I wanted to ask if anyone knew of any requirements or anything like that about buying one. I'm sure any questions I have will be answered when I go, but I just wanted to price some things beforehand. If there aren't any requirements from the school, does anyone have any recommendations?

Ok, I have a question. I wasn't able to attend the admitted student day in March, so I'll be going to the one in June. But in the meantime, I was checking out tablet PC prices and whatnot. I wanted to ask if anyone knew of any requirements or anything like that about buying one. I'm sure any questions I have will be answered when I go, but I just wanted to price some things beforehand. If there aren't any requirements from the school, does anyone have any recommendations?

Hey Hollsky,

You can log on to the OSU student website. Message me for the info, but I will post what we have found out. Here is what we have so far, (this is on our facebook group site.)
1. Fujitsu T4210 – Negotiated Price $1,690
• Specs:
- Intel Duo Processor T2300 @ 1.66 MHz
- 1 GB RAM (2 x 512MB)
- Dual Layer DVD Writer
- 80 GB Hard Drive (400 RPM SATA)
- 12.1” XGA screen (1024 x 768)
- ~ 4.5 hours battery life
- Approximately 4 lbs
• Best price from Fujitsu without negotiated deal: $1,999

2. Gateway M285 – Negotiated Price $1,349 (with recommended options)
• Specs:
- Intel Duo Processor T2300 @ 1.66 MHz
- 1 GB RAM (1 x 1024 MB)
- Dual Layer DVD Writer
- 80 GB Hard Drive (400 RPM SATA)
- 14.0” WXGA screen (Widscreen 1280 x 768)
- ~ 3 hours battery life
- Approximately 8 lbs
- Laser engraving of 'OSU-CHS' Logo
• Best price from Gateway without negotiated deal: $1,770

As far as I know this is what has been posted on the facebook page. Here is the info from out student site, from Chad and he has not mentioned anything about the Gateway computer. The above may be last years negotiated prices and computers.

"I have encouraged the selection of a second option to choose from, but the current negotiated deal that OSUCOM has worked out so far is for the Fujitsu LifeBook T4215 Tablet PC with the following specs:

- Intel 2GHz Core 2 Duo processor (T7200)
- Windows Vista Business Edition
- Integrated Fingerprint Sensor
- Dual Layer DVD Writer
- 1GB DDR2 RAM
- 80GB Hard Drive
- 12.1" SXGA+ TFT display
- Dual Mic Array microphone"

Justin has discovered a comparable HP that is actually a little cheaper. Here is the link for that.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...ooks&series_name=tx1000z_series&brand_name=hp

That is what has been presented to us so far. If you haven't done so, check out and join our facebook page also. The group is OSUCOM Class of 2011.

I hope this answers what you were looking for.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, Medic! That does help quite a bit. I have been to the facebook site, I just haven't joined. I tend to be a bit anti-social sometimes :rolleyes: . Anyway, thank you very much for the info!

Oh, and by the way I believe I interviewed with you - I was the other girl, not Lori! Congrats on getting in, it's exciting!

Thank you, Medic! That does help quite a bit. I have been to the facebook site, I just haven't joined. I tend to be a bit anti-social sometimes :rolleyes: . Anyway, thank you very much for the info!

Oh, and by the way I believe I interviewed with you - I was the other girl, not Lori! Congrats on getting in, it's exciting!

I thought that was you. All of us that interviewed that day have been accepted and are attending as far as I know. I believe the guy from Utah also accepted and is attending, so all 8 of us from that day will be there. You should join the facebook group. You don't have to be social, but there is information that pops up from time to time on there that may be beneficial.:D And you may want to get over the antisocial sometime:laugh: ! If you need anything else let me know.:cool:

Hey Hollsky,

There have been updates to the computer thing. The tablet they have worked a deal on is the Fujitsu T4215 for a price of $1865.00. According to the letter that is being mailed out to all incoming students we have to have them by Aug. 9th for orientation week. Other computers with similar configurations will be accepted but you're on you own for tech help. The school will have tech help or possible loaners or replacements for the Fujitsu tablets. Let me know if you need anything else. The letter should be mailed out soon. :D

:laugh: tech help from the school? Save it. Trust me ;) j/k, they are ok, but some of them really don't have much of a clue. But if they have that deal, that sounds pretty sweet!

:laugh: tech help from the school? Save it. Trust me ;) j/k, they are ok, but some of them really don't have much of a clue. But if they have that deal, that sounds pretty sweet!

Thanks msh. I'm not real thrilled, that's a lot of money. I know it's included in the loan, but also I can get a bit more computer for less through HP without a deal. I also plan to check at my work and see if our IT guy can get one cheaper with the same requirements. As long as we meet the requirements then we should be good.:thumbup:

I'm part of the incoming class. Do you guys think that the on-line pre-histo course is worth it? Thanks in advance.

I'm part of the incoming class. Do you guys think that the on-line pre-histo course is worth it? Thanks in advance.

I'm conflicted on this one. most of me wants to say don't do a thing before you start your first year, but on the other hand, 50% of my class failed Dr Meeks first histo exam.......

eh...again, I'm gonna have to throw in a vote for slacking off, but having just finished first year, I'm currently in rare slacker form. The pre-histo class covers 1st test material (I think?), and yeah, half our class bombed the first test, too, but we pulled through OK. The tests actually do get a little easier as the semester goes on.
slack, slack, slack while you can!! :thumbup: :sleep:

its definitely an advantage to take the class it helped on the 1st test for alot of my classmates i felt i was behind at first but you can catch up quick..you can do well on the 1st test without it so don't stress about that too much enjoy the summer

eh...again, I'm gonna have to throw in a vote for slacking off, but having just finished first year, I'm currently in rare slacker form. The pre-histo class covers 1st test material (I think?), and yeah, half our class bombed the first test, too, but we pulled through OK. The tests actually do get a little easier as the semester goes on.
slack, slack, slack while you can!! :thumbup: :sleep:

Hey Fraggle, what are you doing this summer if you don't mind me asking? I noticed you're an MS-2, so this is your last true summer. I was just wondering if you were taking time off and traveling or anything like that, or if you decided to work somewhere. I'm already trying to decided what to occupy my time with that summer. I was wondering if it was beneficial to try and get in some early experience, or if it even matters.

Hey Fraggle, what are you doing this summer if you don't mind me asking? I noticed you're an MS-2, so this is your last true summer. I was just wondering if you were taking time off and traveling or anything like that, or if you decided to work somewhere. I'm already trying to decided what to occupy my time with that summer. I was wondering if it was beneficial to try and get in some early experience, or if it even matters.

I did some light work study and took a backpacking trip through Europe. I'd recommend enjoying the summer between MS1-MS2.

I am spending a bunch of time with my kiddo, my fam, boyfriend, etc., going to visit some out of state friends, lots of sleeping... basically enjoying my last break ever. If you choose to work or do research over the summer, there are lots of opportunities to do so thru the school.

I am a 4th year surgical resident and alumn of OSU. I saw Dr Meek's picture and it made me laugh. Guys let me tell you the time goes by sooooo fast enjoy it, it is an experience and believe it or not you will miss it when its over. A little hint for Histo: Get all the bonus points you can get they took me from a "B" to an "A" on many occasions. Unfortunately you guys wont get the experience of Dr Taylor in gross anatomy, he was a real character and a great guy. Have fun guys, enjoy your time off, and if i can help with anything leave a post for me.

For the MS1/2/3/4s out there, I just wanted to ask if you have experiened particularly significant benefit to having a Tablet PC in medical school versus a traditional notebook. I assume there must be some sort of benefit due to the encouragement/requirement for all of you to have one. Thanks for your help!

For the MS1/2/3/4s out there, I just wanted to ask if you have experiened particularly significant benefit to having a Tablet PC in medical school versus a traditional notebook. I assume there must be some sort of benefit due to the encouragement/requirement for all of you to have one. Thanks for your help!

I missed the requirement by a year or so, but I see no reason to have a Tablet PC as they cost more and offer no benefit which I can discern. And the tablet PCs they use in the clinics are never used as tablets.