OSU-COM Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I plan heeding that advice well!!:laugh: I am planning on taking a lot of time off this summer from work and doing all things (well most of the things) I haven't got to do over the last 5 years of school and work!:thumbup: No studying for me until August!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I want to back up fraggle on that one. DO NOT spend your free time now trying to prepare for any aspect of med school. You'll blow a bunch of free time and find out in August that what you worked on really doesn't get you anywhere because the volume is so significant.

Your med school profs will teach you well, so no need to prepare in advance.

Now go do something fun :)

Yeah, but I got here by being an overachiever!!! :rolleyes: It's hard to sit and wait for the storm without thinking that I could be doing "something" to prepare a little. It's so hard to just wait! Something fun, what's that??? :laugh: Just kidding. I am taking my kids (and hubby) on a family vacation this summer, relaxing by the pool, jumping on the trampoline, etc. So, with all that fun, can't I please squeeze in a little something??? :laugh: I get your point though, and will try to heed your advice!!

Where is everyone? I know we are not the only ones accepted.:laugh: I guess we are the only ones that ever post on here for our class it appears. I guess noone else uses the site.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, but I got here by being an overachiever!!! :rolleyes: It's hard to sit and wait for the storm without thinking that I could be doing "something" to prepare a little. It's so hard to just wait!

You'll just have to take my word for it that there is nothing you can do to "prepare" for med school. ;)

I got an e-mail today about addmitted students day on March 3. Who else is going?

I am planning to attend on Mar. 3. :thumbup: Congrats on getting accepted!!

Thank you and Congrats to you also. I think we interviewed the same day(btw).

Yes, we all interviewed on the 14th of November. See you guys there.:)

How did they notify you that you were off the waitlist?

So who's taken over my personal barstool at Kilkenny's?

So who's taken over my personal barstool at Kilkenny's?

Not I, I'm more of a McNellie's kinda guy myself. I like more than Guiness and K's doesn't have the sweet tater fries. I do hear a smoking hot blond moved into my old apartment across from yours right after you left. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
How did they notify you that you were off the waitlist?

I received a phone call from OSU wanting to verify my address just prior to receiving my package via UPS.

Hey guys congratulations on the acceptances! If you are still waiting, just be patient...your time will come : ) We just found out this week we are building a workout center at the school!! I guess my class was the last one to be able to use the excuse that med school makes you fat. : )

Thanks RPW and Medic. I guess i'll have to keep cheaking the mailbox multiple times a day. Hopefully I'll be with you guys in the spring.

Thanks RPW and Medic. I guess i'll have to keep cheaking the mailbox multiple times a day. Hopefully I'll be with you guys in the spring.

I understand how frustrating waiting is and RPW I'm sure fully understands since he had to wait longer that I did. Don't worry, if it's where you are supposed to be then the offer will come. In the mean time, check and see if there is anything else you may need to do. Did you write a letter of intent explaining why OSU is your choice? I know a lot of people that have done that as I did myself also. I don't know that helped a lot, but it does let the adcom know you are serious about attending. If you don't here anything by the end of March, call and set up a tour and see if you can meet with someone involved in the admissions process and ask questions about what you can do to improve your status, or what can be done for next year if (sorry got to throw this in) you do not get accepted this year. Sara can help you with that I'm sure. Keep your head up!!:thumbup:

Hey guys congratulations on the acceptances! If you are still waiting, just be patient...your time will come : ) We just found out this week we are building a workout center at the school!! I guess my class was the last one to be able to use the excuse that med school makes you fat. : )

Thanks, I need all the help I can get in getting off my rear and working out!!:laugh:

speaking of that, would you care to elaborate? I had heard that some of the current students were voicing concern against it so I was relieved to learn that all of the prior classes that requested it had set a precedence for it! :) (although using OSU-Tulsa is nice, I'm sure the new center won't be as big as OSU-Tulsa ... so whether that is good or bad, who knows!)

Are they removing the cafe? And what exactly will it entail? Also do you know when they are starting work on the forensics bldg or has that gone to the wayside?

We just found out this week we are building a workout center at the school!! I guess my class was the last one to be able to use the excuse that med school makes you fat. : )

Yea!!! :D :D I was so disappointed that there wasn't one on campus, so that's great news for me! It's a great way to relieve stress, and I haven't worked out in over a year. When will it be built, do you know?

By the beginning of next semester. I am very excited too!

:confused:

Does anyone know why things seem to be going SOOOO slowly at OSU this year? It just seems that they are taking a long time. I know they interview through March, but I recently got an email saying, "The class is a little more than half full at this point."

Are most people being put on the waiting list? Does anyone know how many applicants are going to be interviewed or how many have been for that matter? Am I the only one who finds it odd that they are only just over half full by now?

i got a surprise interview from osucom today. surprise mostly because it has been EIGHT MONTHS after I filed my secondary application and lors. i was wondering if it was because osu takes mostly in-state. does anyone know this?

Part of the slow going may be due to multiple weather problems since November with ice and snow. That may (and has) slowed the process some. I know that half, or around, the admitting class come off of the waiting list. Each round of interviews the adcom reviews all of the applicants up to that point at the same time, waiting list and those interviewed that round and some are pulled off along with acceptances from the interview groups and offered a slot. As to how many they will interview, no clue. Last years was around 250 or so and most admits are from in-state. I know this has been rehashed a couple of times but hopefully it helps some.

**Disclaimer** My information comes from many who have attended OSU-COM and what I have gleaned from speaking with them.

Good luck to all of you.:luck:

Part of the slow going may be due to multiple weather problems since November with ice and snow. That may (and has) slowed the process some. I know that half, or around, the admitting class come off of the waiting list. Each round of interviews the adcom reviews all of the applicants up to that point at the same time, waiting list and those interviewed that round and some are pulled off along with acceptances from the interview groups and offered a slot. As to how many they will interview, no clue. Last years was around 250 or so and most admits are from in-state. I know this has been rehashed a couple of times but hopefully it helps some.

**Disclaimer** My information comes from many who have attended OSU-COM and what I have gleaned from speaking with them.

Good luck to all of you.:luck:

Thank you for the update.

I just spoke with Sarah and was encouraged by what she had to say.

T

Thank you for the update.

I just spoke with Sarah and was encouraged by what she had to say.

T

That's great, and isn't Sara great?:thumbup: :laugh: She's always so nice to speak with.

Congratulations to everyone just getting your acceptances!! :clap:

If you're still waiting, keep your chin up....we're all pulling for you!!

is anyone going to the open house in norman next wednesday?

are you sure you have the correct thread?

Ha ha!! I read that post and scratched my head, too.

I can't wait to be at OSU this fall!! Anyone else been getting stuck with the dreaded vaccination needles for the upcoming fall semester? I have. Not fun. I thought it would get better from when I was 4, but it truly hasn't. Oh well, I will hopefully be a walking immune fortress.

Oh, and I wanted to pass this info along: I'm not going to be able to make it to admitted student day on March 3, but Sarah told me they are having another one sometime in June. So anyone who can't go, don't fret! But you can probably all go and I'll be completely alone in June, listening to the financial aid lecture :rolleyes: .

I can't wait to be at OSU this fall!! Anyone else been getting stuck with the dreaded vaccination needles for the upcoming fall semester? I have. Not fun. I thought it would get better from when I was 4, but it truly hasn't. Oh well, I will hopefully be a walking immune fortress.

Hey girl!! Yes, I've been doing the needle-sticks too! They haven't been as bad as I remembered, but I don't like them nonetheless!! I still have to get my tuberculosis skin test done, and get my titers. Hopefully won't have to have the varicella since I had chicken pox when I was 5. ;) Sorry that we'll have to miss your company on March 3. The reply email Sarah sent to me to request names of guests was CC'd to several students, but definitely not the entire class. All that to say, I don't think you'll be alone in June!! :D

Hey girl!! Yes, I've been doing the needle-sticks too! They haven't been as bad as I remembered, but I don't like them nonetheless!! I still have to get my tuberculosis skin test done, and get my titers. Hopefully won't have to have the varicella since I had chicken pox when I was 5. ;) Sorry that we'll have to miss your company on March 3. The reply email Sarah sent to me to request names of guests was CC'd to several students, but definitely not the entire class. All that to say, I don't think you'll be alone in June!! :D

Hey!! I had c-pox when I was 5, too, so I'm hoping to not need it - or the titer. I gave about half my body weight in blood for MMR titers because I forgot my shot record (ha, I know it's ridiculous). Also, I'm from OKC and they don't require a Hep B (or is it A that they require in Tulsa?) at my high school, so I had to get that one. They hurt! I'm going back for the second in my series next week, so that should be fun.

I'll miss seeing you at the event this weekend! Let me know how it all goes!

ya i called the office today, and they said something about an OSU open house for OU undergrad students that are going to OSU next year. its wednesday

Can someone tell me what's suposed to happen at the shindig this weekend? I've rsvped but am thinking I may not go now since it's a 4 hour drive one way for me and my sister is on the verge of having her baby 2 months early.

Can someone tell me what's suposed to happen at the shindig this weekend? I've rsvped but am thinking I may not go now since it's a 4 hour drive one way for me and my sister is on the verge of having her baby 2 months early.

I believe it's just an opportunity for students to bring family and show them around the school, as well talk about financial aid. I'm not sure of much else, but they are having another one in June.

If any of you are looking to buy a house, I know a house going up for sale RIGHT across from the school. Its a nice house with big fenced in yard.

I think there'll be 2nd admitted student day. The one for our class was in June, I think?

I hope everyone that attended admitted student day had a great time!!!!! P.S. fraggle, you should be studying

I hope everyone that attended admitted student day had a great time!!!!! P.S. fraggle, you should be studying

I did have a great time!! I loved all the current students I met....I'm a little more at ease about starting medical school now. Before this weekend, I was very scared, and now I am still nervous, but more excited than nervous! (if that makes any sense) Thanks to everyone that helped out there. :thumbup: I enjoyed getting to meet some of my new classmates too. Now I can't wait to get started! My husband and I were talking afterward and he said something to the effect of, "Well, they are all a part of our family now". It is so encouraging to think of it that way, and for him to understand it that way as well. It's just a testament to the way things are run at OSU, and just reconfirms my decision to attend here! Getting fitted for my white coat was exciting as well; it made me feel like I am actually going to medical school!! :D

Congrats medic for being accepted to OSUCOM. You guys are all debating about when you will move. I have to move the farthest. From Southern Utah, to Tulsa, I think it almost 4000 + miles. Better start packing now :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Using the pythogorean theorem, Tulsa is northeast of southern utah. So I haved to pursue north then due east to make my destination. Your right the amount of miles is probably 2000 miles+. I was just being exaggerating:laugh: :laugh:

Congrats medic for being accepted to OSUCOM. You guys are all debating about when you will move. I have to move the farthest. From Southern Utah, to Tulsa, I think it almost 4000 + miles. Better start packing now :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey thanks medicineman! I'm glad you finally made your choice on your school. :thumbup: And I see you will be joining us! Congrats and we'll see you in August!:D

any thoughts on the summer class? im thinking about doing it, since i didnt take histo or anatomy in undergrad

any thoughts on the summer class? im thinking about doing it, since i didnt take histo or anatomy in undergrad

"Not gonna do it, not at this juncture!!" George Bush :laugh:
Drinking a lot of beer, fishing, golfing, playing with my kids, chillin', etc., etc. Last opportunity for a while. I wouldn't be able to concentrate anyways!:laugh: