OSU-COM Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Watch out for midtown pricing though. Completely overpriced for a 1000 sq ft house. If you want to buy, do not buy IN midtown. Just a warning ;) Sand springs is growing like wildfire and broken arrow has some good houses left if you want to own a house with a yard but most of the good ones in tulsa will cost you at least $100-150K. The ones any less won't get you much unless you find a hidden gem and have a VERY good real estate agent. There are plenty of condos/splithomes around but I'd watch their HOA dues as most of them are pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Plus the areas of some of them (for what you are buying) is pretty wack.

I know of a few places to rent near the school if anyone is interested. Esp a house which the owner will only rent to med students. I would not suggest moving next to the school if you have kids though as the school district is one of the poorest in tulsa. But the convienence factor is bar-none compared to other areas. Face it, you are going to be living at the school anyways ;) So for the first 2-3 years its not a bad deal ...

Members don't see this ad.

Watch out for midtown pricing though. Completely overpriced for a 1000 sq ft house. If you want to buy, do not buy IN midtown. Just a warning ;) Sand springs is growing like wildfire and broken arrow has some good houses left if you want to own a house with a yard but most of the good ones in tulsa will cost you at least $100-150K. The ones any less won't get you much unless you find a hidden gem and have a VERY good real estate agent. There are plenty of condos/splithomes around but I'd watch their HOA dues as most of them are pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Plus the areas of some of them (for what you are buying) is pretty wack.

I know of a few places to rent near the school if anyone is interested. Esp a house which the owner will only rent to med students. I would not suggest moving next to the school if you have kids though as the school district is one of the poorest in tulsa. But the convienence factor is bar-none compared to other areas. Face it, you are going to be living at the school anyways ;) So for the first 2-3 years its not a bad deal ...

She is absolutely correct. You will do better, and probably get more house for you money if you buy in the burbs. Broken Arrow is a bit of a drive to school, but not too bad. Sand Springs about 15 minutes, Jenks, Glenpool the same about 15 minutes. Bixby a little further. Owasso has a lot of houses, but they are starting to get pricey also.

I live in a new development in Sapulpa. It takes me around 20 minutes to go from my driveway to the school. It is Hickory South/Hickory Place and the developer is Rausch Coleman. I looked around Tulsa, Glenpool, and Jenks and this is by far the best deal we could find. My wife and I couldn't be happier. In Hickory South the houses are around 1400 sq ft, 3BR/2Baths, 2 Car Garage. They run around 115K give or take. In Hickory Place, the only difference is that the houses are a little smaller, and typically have a few less amenities. They are around 1100 sq ft, and run about 95K. We enjoy it, as everything we have to have is in Sapulpa and very convenient. If we need something from Tulsa, it's just 20 minutes away. They can build you a house, or you can pick out one of their open houses, which they always try to keep a few on hand. We signed our contract at the beginning of April, and were in our house by the end of July, so construction time is very quick. If you have any questions, you can email me as I rarely get on SDN anymore.

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in a new development in Sapulpa. It takes me around 20 minutes to go from my driveway to the school. It is Hickory South/Hickory Place and the developer is Rausch Coleman. I looked around Tulsa, Glenpool, and Jenks and this is by far the best deal we could find. My wife and I couldn't be happier. In Hickory South the houses are around 1400 sq ft, 3BR/2Baths, 2 Car Garage. They run around 115K give or take. In Hickory Place, the only difference is that the houses are a little smaller, and typically have a few less amenities. They are around 1100 sq ft, and run about 95K. We enjoy it, as everything we have to have is in Sapulpa and very convenient. If we need something from Tulsa, it's just 20 minutes away. They can build you a house, or you can pick out one of their open houses, which they always try to keep a few on hand. We signed our contract at the beginning of April, and were in our house by the end of July, so construction time is very quick. If you have any questions, you can email me as I rarely get on SDN anymore.

[email protected]
Uhhhh... What about for broke med students? I'm not making the big bucks yet, got a few years before that happens.

Uhhhh... What about for broke med students? I'm not making the big bucks yet, got a few years before that happens.
Unless you buy a condo or duplex that's what the housing is going to run. Condos are $40K-$70K around Tulsa. Most people don't know how to manuever mortgages and the such and just end up renting. Also not many people have the downpayment or just get parents to cosign for the mortgage ...

If you can get a mortgage, your payment, property tax, and home owner's insurance will be cheaper than renting. A 3/2 house will rent for over $800/month almost anywhere in Tulsa.

Jk I'll rent you my garage space, a little cool in the winter and warm in the summer, but....:laugh: :smuggrin: Just kidding. BobBarker is right, anything in a decent area (or not so decent) is gonna run $700.00 up. I'm not sure about the burbs and how the renting is there.

I agree with the above posters, I personally think buying is a great idea but also it might not be so great. Ownership is alot of work (all the fixing up) and a good house will be decent moolah. (trust me, been through it and for a tight budget, it was a hard bargain!)

I know alot of happy renters throughout tulsa, but the mortgage would be slightly cheaper ... but some of the HOA fees for condos might make it a little more expensive so do your homework. ;)

Does anyone know when classes begin? I looked all over the OSU website and couldn't find it. Also, on the agreement to enroll, page 1, it mentions a "mandatory enrollment and orientation session." Does anyone know when that is?

Does anyone know when classes begin? I looked all over the OSU website and couldn't find it. Also, on the agreement to enroll, page 1, it mentions a "mandatory enrollment and orientation session." Does anyone know when that is?

Usually early-mid August. Orientation is the week before classes begin.

I was hoping someone knew the exact days. I have to plan a 180 mile move on a shoestring budget. :D

They probably don't have the exact dates yet if they are not on the website. They will probably have them around the middle to end of this semester.

I was hoping someone knew the exact days. I have to plan a 180 mile move on a shoestring budget. :D

We will have to wait a bit longer to see when they are starting. I have not been able to find out anything other than early to mid-august. I would plan a move in July. LOL!:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
We will have to wait a bit longer to see when they are starting. I have not been able to find out anything other than early to mid-august. I would plan a move in July. LOL!:laugh:

It's going to be razor thin for me. :scared: I might not graduate until August, so I am not sure if I will come back up for commencement, or just wait to move after that.

It's going to be razor thin for me. :scared: I might not graduate until August, so I am not sure if I will come back up for commencement, or just wait to move after that.

:eek: WOW! You are gonna cut it close that's for sure.:laugh:

heck, someone in my class didn't get his acceptance until 1 day before orientation started. he moved a much farther distance & was here the next day. I'm sure you can work things out with this much advance notice (although general info at this point) :)

heck, someone in my class didn't get his acceptance until 1 day before orientation started. he moved a much farther distance & was here the next day. I'm sure you can work things out with this much advance notice (although general info at this point) :)

Oh, I'll do it, but I'll be complaining the whole way. :laugh: The things I'll do for med school...

Anyone suffer any damage from the ice/snow storm?? I was lucky and only lost most of my tree in my front yard to the ice. We still have power (as of yet, but more rain forecasted for today :eek: ). The ice really wreaks havoc on power lines and trees. How's everything looking in Tulsa???

It hasn't been too bad. But I was out all weekend. We were busy at EMSA and were planning for the worst. It didn't seem as bad this time as it was in the Nov snow storm. Everything is icy and slick, but I don't believe we had too many without power. That was a huge blessing. But overall it wasn't too bad, except very, very cold.:laugh:

Pardon me for intruding, but I may be able to contribute. Click on my avatar if you want to know more about me.

mshheaddoc--is that really you in the picture, and if so, where have you been all my life? (also I've never seen anybody with even a quarter of yours and DrMom's posts--you OSU folks are lucky to have some bona fide SDN experts here).

any idea where you all are going to live next year? for me personally, im looking midtown/brookside area since its close to school and a developing area.

I'll point out that I'm not actually an OSU student, but I did work for Tulsa Regional (now OSU Medical?) a couple of years back. I'm assuming that the med school is still just south of the hospital across the river. It seems like there was some talk about moving it across downtown to the OSU-Tulsa area so please correct me if I'm wrong.

My reason for posting is that I used to live in an apartment complex sandwiched between OSU-COM and the river. I think that it was called Westport or something like that. There were a lot of OSU students in the complex.

At the time (2002-2003), an efficiency was $410, probably a little bit inflated because the complex knows about medical student loans (we have the same issue where I live now). Most would say that it's not the best neighborhood, but I never felt in danger (granted, I'm a 200-lb. male). There was one night when a police chase ended in a fatal shooting at the gate, however, no residents were involved and nobody got past the gate. It was probably just a function of location. I was in the fitness area on the elliptical at the time.

The management was good, and there are three pools. They have a jogging track around the river, and I frequently walked to work when it was nice out. It's probably not the best place if you hate insects (to be expected right on the river), though they did go to some effort to install pest control devices in the ground.

If you like to live near a Wal-Mart or a business district, then this might not be the best choice.

I have plenty of friends who live in Broken Arrow or Jenks. These are definitely great choices, but I personally don't like driving that much. Along with Union, these are probably the best school districts in the entire state for those with families. I'm planning to move back to T-Town in 1.5 years, though I'm likely going to try for something in the Union school district though more toward the center of town.

Tulsa is a great city!

It seems like there was some talk about moving it across downtown to the OSU-Tulsa area so please correct me if I'm wrong.

There was, but that was nixed, They've just spent a ton of money upgrading the old lecture halls, and it seems that they're now using that for the 1st years.

At the time (2002-2003), an efficiency was $410, probably a little bit inflated because the complex knows about medical student loans (we have the same issue where I live now).

They are high, but in line with other comparable apartments in Tulsa, what pissed me off was the first years contract could be negotiated to a decent price, but then they jacked up the cost/month ever year.

Most would say that it's not the best neighborhood, but I never felt in danger (granted, I'm a 200-lb. male). There was one night when a police chase ended in a fatal shooting at the gate, however, no residents were involved and nobody got past the gate. It was probably just a function of location.

It's not in the best location, but I never felt in danger either. Many of my classmates had cars broken into, and there was 1 other shooting incident since the one you mentioned. It involved the police however.

I was in the fitness area on the elliptical at the time.

They now claim they have the largest gym in any apartment complex in Tulsa, still not that great unless you like ellipticals and bikes.

The management was good, and there are three pools.

Which channel 2 showed had a chlorine level of 12, 3 times the normal limit. :laugh:

They have a jogging track around the river, and I frequently walked to work when it was nice out. It's probably not the best place if you hate insects (to be expected right on the river), though they did go to some effort to install pest control devices in the ground.

brown recluses were always a transient problem, you could tell when they sprayed on a rotating bases as they'd be there bad for a few weeks, then they'd move on when they came to spray your apartment.

Tulsa is a great city!

agreed, I like tulsa.

In the 1st year class, several students cars have been broken into at Westport, some multiple times. One student's motorcycle and another's car were stolen. Another had his tailgate stolen. I wouldn't recommend anyone live there.

There was one night when a police chase ended in a fatal shooting at the gate, however, no residents were involved and nobody got past the gate.

Gosh, I remember that. I was at the school that night & they locked it down. Wasn't really a big deal as far as safety for us, but it gave us a diversion from studying for a while. :)

I agree with the others that there are better options of where to live than Westport unless you've just gotta live within walking distance of the school. ;) There are a lot of apartment complexes in the same rice range as Westport within 15-20 minutes drive of the school. Other good areas to look are in Jenks, Owasso, Sand Springs, and Sapulpa. Broken Arrow & Bixby are do-able, but sometimes have traffic issues driving into Tulsa.

If you've got school aged kids, I'd probably stick to apartments/houses in the Jenks, Union, Owasso, Broken Arrow, and Bixby school districts.

DrMom and mshheaddoc,

Why did your post numbers drop from 32K to 23K and 15K?

Also, the MCW 2010er's had their thread closed because it had 4K posts. Should we start a new one then, too? Ours is over 1K right now.

Why thank you for the flattering comment of my avatar, I will send your regards to Jennifer Garner (aka Syndey Bristow on Alias) ;)

There have been modifications to SDN where some of the older and larger conversational threads have been deleted so the post counts took a major hit to those of us who have been chatty. Any threads over 1K should really be started a new one so if you want to close that thread just report the thread that its over 1K and that you've already started another thread. I know some mods don't want to be rude about just closing all threads but if you notice one is pretty big just let them know. I don't think they will be deleting many threads on the regular forums ... just more likely the lounge ;)

As for living, westport has gone downhill but I've heard more bad from one side of the complex than the other side. So live on the side closer to the school! I also know of students who live across the street in some of the renting housing with no issues in the neighborhood so I think some of it is the apt complex itself. But security at the school is really good and if you want someone to walk you to your car (if you can find them, they monitor the parking lots alot though!) they're willing to help. As in every city, there is petty crime and the buddy system is best. Don't leave valuables in your car! There are plenty of other great areas to live in Tulsa other than right next to the school but don't think its a huge security issue. Many students do choose to live there for convienence and the stores you need are only 15-20 mins away (closest grocery store is about 8 mins from the school).

I agree with the others about those with families and will reiterate what I said in previous posts ... if you have kids, don't live near the school.

Okay I am really getting sick and tired of ICE!!:( I have been at work for the last 9 straight days because of this.:eek:

As for living, westport has gone downhill but I've heard more bad from one side of the complex than the other side. So live on the side closer to the school! I also know of students who live across the street in some of the renting housing with no issues in the neighborhood so I think some of it is the apt complex itself. But security at the school is really good and if you want someone to walk you to your car (if you can find them, they monitor the parking lots alot though!) they're willing to help. As in every city, there is petty crime and the buddy system is best. Don't leave valuables in your car! There are plenty of other great areas to live in Tulsa other than right next to the school but don't think its a huge security issue. Many students do choose to live there for convienence and the stores you need are only 15-20 mins away (closest grocery store is about 8 mins from the school).

I agree with the others about those with families and will reiterate what I said in previous posts ... if you have kids, don't live near the school.
Are the schools really THAT bad in the area? Can you give me some specifics? I am considering trying to find a house near the school, but I have kids.

Okay I am really getting sick and tired of ICE!!:( I have been at work for the last 9 straight days because of this.:eek:

I hear you. I don't think there is a tree in Springfield that hasn't been at least halfway ripped apart. There are power lines down in my back yard. I work the weekend option at a hospital here, and last weekend we were unable to discharge most patients because the city had like 90% without power. Fortunately, I was without power for only 12 hours and I have a fireplace, so I didn't need to leave home for one of the hotels that were filling up fast. Unfortunately, we filled up quickly and had more patients coming in. We had to "discharge" patients to one of our less acute facilities and let them stay there for a few days. We were also having to accomodate nursing home residents and storage of perishable items such as drugs. All of this while we were short staffed in many departments, and trying to send as many home as we could to avoid travel in the next round of storms. I have a four wheel drive, so I made it and did everything I could to help. It was a mess. Now I get home and the first week of classes are called off at the universities here, and public schools are closed for the whole week. We had gas outages city wide on Monday, and people were selling generators out of the backs of semi trailers. It was surreal, and pure madness. I'm just sitting at home with nothing to do but post on SDN.

Are the schools really THAT bad in the area? Can you give me some specifics? I am considering trying to find a house near the school, but I have kids.

Its one of the poorest districts in tulsa and the elementary school is one of the poorest in tulsa with 99% qualifying for free lunch program at Eugene Fields Elementary School. Its not the worst neighborhood but you would be best in getting your child's education outside of the webster high schoool feeder area. Here are some of the testing scores for the elementary local immediately in the OSU-CHS area ...

If you go across the river you are fine but immediately in the area of the school in between the two refineries use Eugene Fields. Remember there is plenty of good housing within 15-20 mins of CHS.

If you are looking to stay close to the school and are looking for good schools for the kiddies, i'd suggest the Berryhill school district. It is about 4-6 miles west of the campus and is a very good school district. Its a good community (virtually no crime) and usually has 2-3 bedroom houses available for rent.

as Mushy said, absolutely don't live right by the school if you have kids that'll be in school at any point during your time at OSU. I posted nearby good school districts somewhere earlier in the thread.

I’m a second year at OSU and plan on renting out my house in Aug. It’s in Jenks, just 12 min from school, and is located in an excellent school district. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Like other have said, I definitely wouldn't recommend living in the area around the school if you have kids, because it is pretty scary. However, if you do plan on living in an area within the Tulsa Public School district, you have the oppurtunity to transfer your kids to one of the "better" TPS schools; you don't necessarily have to send them to the district you're living in. There are actually some really good schools -- Elliot and Lee are a couple that I can think of (my daughter's going to Elliot next year). There are also magnet schools like Eisenhower and Mayo, but I think you basically have to start them there when they're in kindergarten.

does anyone know much about the DO/MBA program? i couldn't find much about it on the website

What do you want to know about it? I know two students who have gone through it. Its through OSU-Tulsa and OSU-Stillwater's campus. And the past two students have done it after 2nd year starting that summer and running through the following summer.

so you don't take mba classes simultaneously? you basically take 1 year between class and rotations and only take the mba courses

Yes, so you graduate within 5 years instead of 4. I don't think you'd be able to do the program simultaneously since some classes you will most likely have to go to stillwater for during the day. Not all but probably one or two. I think they are working on that though.

Well it's completely official, I have paid my deposit and turned in all my paperwork. I have been to my physician for my physical and to have all my blood drawn! I'm still in a little disbelief about going to medical school, but I'm excited none the less! :laugh:

Yes, so you graduate within 5 years instead of 4. I don't think you'd be able to do the program simultaneously since some classes you will most likely have to go to stillwater for during the day. Not all but probably one or two. I think they are working on that though.

As an aside, there is a bus that runs back and forth between OSU-Tulsa and Stillwater. It's an alright deal if you don't like driving (and when I last used it, they were giving a free soda per trip).

As an aside, there is a bus that runs back and forth between OSU-Tulsa and Stillwater. It's an alright deal if you don't like driving (and when I last used it, they were giving a free soda per trip).
No free soda anymore and they just upped the price last year (hopefully they won't have to do it this year as gas prices fell - they've risen it $2/one way in the past year - two separate increases). But the BOB (as its called - Big Orange Bus) is a great resource that many people use in commuting from Tulsa to Stillwater. Right now it runs $7 for students one way (1 hr and 15 min ride) and they have .

Link for more information for BOB is here. I've even heard of people commuting to OSU-CHS from Stillwater via the bus, although I only have heard one person who did this.

Well it's completely official, I have paid my deposit and turned in all my paperwork. I have been to my physician for my physical and to have all my blood drawn! I'm still in a little disbelief about going to medical school, but I'm excited none the less! :laugh:

I feel the same way as you!! You already did your physical? I thought it was supposed to be within 6 months of class, so I was waiting until after February. Does it matter???

I feel the same way as you!! You already did your physical? I thought it was supposed to be within 6 months of class, so I was waiting until after February. Does it matter???

I didn't see anything about within six months, all it said was that it needed to be completed and to the admissions office by Aug 1, 2007. The sooner the better, and I don't have to wait for that. I had to have my blood drawn because I can't find my shot records, so I didn't know exactly how long getting all of the results back from that would take. As it turns out, they were able to do all of the tests and it only took like two or three days.:laugh: Ah well, it's done and out of the way. All I have left now is my transcripts and financial aid paperwork.:thumbup:

I didn't see anything about within six months, all it said was that it needed to be completed and to the admissions office by Aug 1, 2007. The sooner the better, and I don't have to wait for that. I had to have my blood drawn because I can't find my shot records, so I didn't know exactly how long getting all of the results back from that would take. As it turns out, they were able to do all of the tests and it only took like two or three days.:laugh: Ah well, it's done and out of the way. All I have left now is my transcripts and financial aid paperwork.:thumbup:

Good for you!!:thumbup: I'm still working on getting all the vaccinations, and blood tests for them when I finish! Some day all the hoops will be worth the trouble....right?? ;)

Good for you!!:thumbup: I'm still working on getting all the vaccinations, and blood tests for them when I finish! Some day all the hoops will be worth the trouble....right?? ;)

You know all the hoop jumping is worth it! These are the easy hoops now!:laugh: We've been through the hard hoop jumping...well until the semester starts.:smuggrin:

You know all the hoop jumping is worth it! These are the easy hoops now!:laugh: We've been through the hard hoop jumping...well until the semester starts.:smuggrin:

:laugh:

If only the MCAT and application cycle were the hard hoops. ;)

Don't worry, though...you guys are more than capable of jumping through all of the hoops ahead of you. :)

:laugh:

If only the MCAT and application cycle were the hard hoops. ;)

Don't worry, though...you guys are more than capable of jumping through all of the hoops ahead of you. :)

Every hoop prepares us for the next one! That's the way I'm trying to approach it. It will definitely be worth it someday, I was just kidding. ;)

For those of you that have just come through it, what are the main topics in anatomy that are covered? Just wanting to brush up a little because my anatomy class wasn't the greatest, and I didn't focus on it as much as I'd like to have. :( I don't want to be remedial before I even get started!! :laugh:

Every hoop prepares us for the next one! That's the way I'm trying to approach it. It will definitely be worth it someday, I was just kidding. ;)

For those of you that have just come through it, what are the main topics in anatomy that are covered? Just wanting to brush up a little because my anatomy class wasn't the greatest, and I didn't focus on it as much as I'd like to have. :( I don't want to be remedial before I even get started!! :laugh:

Please don't worry about being "remedial", because everyone else will be, too. My suggestion would be to not worry about it until class actually starts -- there's WAY too much to just "brush up" on. My undergrad anatomy class didn't prepare me at all for med school anatomy, btw. Enjoy your free time!

I want to back up fraggle on that one. DO NOT spend your free time now trying to prepare for any aspect of med school. You'll blow a bunch of free time and find out in August that what you worked on really doesn't get you anywhere because the volume is so significant.

Your med school profs will teach you well, so no need to prepare in advance.

Now go do something fun :)