OSU-COM class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttjones

Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's see who our classmates are going to be!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you for sure attending OSU? I am thinking about shadowing a student to see what a day at OSU is like. Right now my only acceptance is OSU so really I just want an excuse to skip an undergrad day and see what kind of mess we have gotten ourselves into.

I'll be there. I got into two other schools, but OSU's where it's at. Can't wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have spent a ridiculous amount of time looking into OSU, and it is by far my favorite of all the schools I have seen. I am really excited to start in the fall!!

Ditto with ^. Ive investigated OSU pretty heavily and it is my final destination (ohhh kind eerie lol).

Either way, I arrived at this thread!

Are you for sure attending OSU? I am thinking about shadowing a student to see what a day at OSU is like. Right now my only acceptance is OSU so really I just want an excuse to skip an undergrad day and see what kind of mess we have gotten ourselves into.

How would I go about setting this up? I would like an excuse to take off work.

I looked into OSU a lot myself. I got accepted a few weeks ago and had interveiws at 7 other schools but I cancelled them because I knew I wasn't going to choose any of them over OSU. I absolutely loved it when I went for my interiew and was beyond excited when I got the call.

I'm an thoroughly excited about school too! However as I crunch the numbers, the cost of school and living since I'm getting married is scary... It's quite a buzz kill

It's just money , you'll make more.

Money? Ha! A friend of mine just emailed a link to this article... So, all we have to do is get through to residency, right? :laugh:

On the whole, OSU is incredibly affordable compared to other schools I looked at. I felt a little like crying through the financial aid session at my CCOM interview. The financial aid representative at LECOM-Bradenton told us that we wouldn't be able to afford our morning joe. I think OSU's a wise choice.

Money? Ha! A friend of mine just emailed a link to this article... So, all we have to do is get through to residency, right? :laugh:

On the whole, OSU is incredibly affordable compared to other schools I looked at. I felt a little like crying through the financial aid session at my CCOM interview. The financial aid representative at LECOM-Bradenton told us that we wouldn't be able to afford our morning joe. I think OSU's a wise choice.

The great price is almost impossible to pass up...but just a perk for me! It the rest of the school that sold me!

I know OSU is cheaper among schools however it's still alot of debt and it's scary lol. But either way, I'm going to take the plunge.

Members don't see this ad :)

I can't view the article, it pops up for your username and password.

I am need of a Real Estate agent for the Tulsa Metro, does anyone know of any they trust or have had good personal experience with?

Bump

Merry Christmas everyone!

So where is everyone planning on living next year? Have you heard anything about any apartments?

I am still planning on buying, however they changed mortgage laws and student loans are no longer considered valid income on a mortgage application so my original plans are hanging by a string.

Apartment wise I have three complexes that were highly recommended. If I had to choose today, my number one would be the Pinehurst in Sapulpa. Its a straight shoot to school, yet your out of Tulsa and in an excellent area that is cheaply priced (in comparison to what a similar apartment costs in Tulsa metro). Other apartments recommended are the Remington at Memorial in Tulsa/Broken Arrow area and also the Sundance, though they're much older and slightly more run down. I am not a fan of the apartments next to the school after many student testimonials.

I am not a fan of the apartments next to the school after many student testimonials.

Just curious... what have you heard?

I've been living in these apartments for six months and have no complaints. They are a little pricey... but that's really the only negative. The apartments are a little older, but they are really well maintained. The staff are really helpful and act quickly when we need something. The location is great... easy to get onto 244 or the BA, and I won't have to drive next year! Granted, you won't see me walking down Southwest Blvd. late at night... but it's whatever.

My boyfriend and I looked into buying a house, but eventually decided it wasn't the right time for us. He will be traveling a lot for work in the next few years, and I will be in school... so I'm thinking we really won't have the time or energy (or money) to maintain a home. If we're renting and something breaks, all we have to do is call the leasing office.

Thankfully, there are a ton of housing options in Tulsa. We looked at twenty apartments before we chose the one we're in. Definitely something to suite everyone's needs.

Someone cut the catalytic converter off of my vehicle to turn it into a recycling facility for the precious metals that are inside of it in the parking lot at the school closest to Westport during the school day. One person I know had his tailgate stolen and another his motorcycle in the Westport parking lot.

People from my class living in Westport experienced more petty crime than those living in other apartments. There also was a shooting there while I was in school. It is convenient, but not in a great part of town. There are many other choices out there.

I guess we've been pretty lucky... I haven't heard/seen anything like that since we moved in.

My fiancé and I travelled up there last weekend and toured a few properties for sell and also about 12 complexes. Our favorites so far are the lincoln/villas at memorial. For the price you get the gated access and police patrol and newer construction with new appliancies. They also had a special for 100 off normal rent so a 2 be which costs normally 875 for 1100 sq ft is 775, and that won't go up.

Were going to go up again some time soon and tour a few more and finalize our choice. We discussed buying bit for what we can afford, it's more practical to rent.

I personally wouldn't want to drive from that area in to school.

There are some brand new apartments off of Hwy 75 near 81st St. Right by the big new Tulsa Hills shopping center and about 8 minute drive from school. I have no idea how much they cost, but if you haven't checked into them I'd suggest you do.

There are some brand new apartments off of Hwy 75 near 81st St. Right by the big new Tulsa Hills shopping center and about 8 minute drive from school. I have no idea how much they cost, but if you haven't checked into them I'd suggest you do.
I think that would be a nice area to live, too. Close to downtown, close to the riverwalk, and enough local shopping to minimize trips to 71st ST.

Do you know what they are called?

I did a search and the only apartmnts in that area are nickel creek and they're located at 7805 s union ave.

They're in the top 1/3 of prices bit very comparable to what I was looking at. I'll have to look at them next time i'm in Tulsa.

That sounds right.
They may very well be pricey. They're brand new & in a good area.

I'm not sure what's available for rent in Jenks or Glenpool, but the drive from either one would be much easier than what you listed on Memorial.

I live in Jenks almost to Glenpool and my drive to the hospital (which is a little farther than the med school) is about 12 minutes and a very easy drive. Both Hwy 169 and the BA (which you'd have to take to get from those apts on Memorial) have significantly more traffic issues, along with it being a longer drive.

Obviously we all have our personal preferences. I've lived in Tulsa for over 27 years (just the last couple have been in Jenks) so I'm just trying to share my perspective of livability, traffic, time of commute (ie: time away from family and studying), etc.

I extremely appriciate that. My fiance will be student teaching in Jenks starting in august so those would be perfect for both her and I. We are thinking of travelling to Tulsa on MLK day and checking out all the apartments in Jenks and down towards glenpool.

My fiance will be student teaching in August as well. Anyone heard news about school districts? Which are the best? Thanks.

Avoid Tulsa public. Most of the major outlying communities have good districts, with the best being Jenks, Union, Broken Arrow, and Bixby.
I used to be a public school teacher in my previous life. Taught in BA, have made a point to live in Jenks district even though my kid goes to private. Hubby & I graduated from Jenks many moons ago. ;)

What are they student teaching in?

She is going to be a high school English teacher. We have heard good things about Sand Springs and Owasso as well...any comments?

My fiancé then wife will be doing special education

She is going to be a high school English teacher. We have heard good things about Sand Springs and Owasso as well...any comments?

My wife worked at Owasso Public several years ago (secondary ed. science), and she really liked it. The only reason she left was to take a position in Bartlesville where we live.

Does anyone know when they send out the newsletter or update the incoming students part of the website for the new class?

The one for last years students was sent out in march, bit I haven't heard. However be sure to have your fafsa in by march too!

Does anyone know when they send out the newsletter or update the incoming students part of the website for the new class?

I got an invite for admitted student day today. It was in a newsletter format. Anyone else?

Last edited:
Online too or just mail? No fair!

Online too or just mail? No fair!

It came by snail mail only in a yellow catalog envelope. It is very similar to the admitted student newsletter PDF for the 2013 class that you can view on the OSU-COM website.

The date is February 20. Registration and coffee is at 9:15. Brunch is served, and family members are invited.

Besides just being enthusiastic about the school, is there a real point to going? I think most people know to fill out fafsa early, anything else?

Besides just being enthusiastic about the school, is there a real point to going? I think most people know to fill out fafsa early, anything else?

Ahh yes, I forgot to mention the other important thing about admitted student day. We get to meet our fellow classmates and their families in person. I think that alone makes it an awesome day!

Trying to find an excuse not to go just one?

Trying to find an excuse not to go just one?

Having attended medx three times and the interview day, what more can I learn? But I'll probably go just for the cool factor

Haha okay then I thought you might be holding out for OU

OSU is my favorite school. Whether I attend there or not doesn't change that fact.

Having attended medx three times and the interview day, what more can I learn? But I'll probably go just for the cool factor

What is medx? I saw it on the newsletter thing, but I have no idea what it is.

It is an all day open house that includes a tour, lunch with current students, and a discussion of application and admission processes. It is really more for people that will be applying.