OT: African Horse Safari

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lyndaelyzoo

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would love to go on an African safari on horseback!!!! I think it would be awesome!!! However, I wonder what happens if they encounter some hungry lions? I mean, zebras and horses are close relatives, so it might not make a difference if the equine lacks stripes and is carrying a primate on its back. I'm sure the tour guides are armed and dangerous in case of emergency. And check out how close they get to the elephant!!! Awesome...though the horse isn't so sure!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=empR7HYNP7s&feature=player_embedded#!
 
My brother went on a safari over spring break. The first time he went out he was in a jeep with armed guides and what not. Then a group of them (including my brother) went out on foot that NIGHT. Not armed or anything. I thought he was crazy when he told me but he said it was the most amazing experience.
 
Your gut feling about going out in the reserve at night was right. NEVER EVER go out into a game reserve at night. EVER. Even if you hear 700 stories of people who survived. DON'T DO IT. (no offense to your brother -I'm gad he was safe and had a wonderful experience!)

About safari's - do some checking on the parks. There are many game reserves that do not have the big cats, or predators at all, so they are much more safe (especially on horseback). It's still just as gorgeous but is significantly safer. Then later, you can spend a day at a park that has carnivores...but from the safety of a vehicle. 🙂

I grew up in South Africa and have spent significant time in game reserves. I've been stalked by lions, surrounded by hyenas, chased by a rhino, had a pack of monkeys sit on my roof, and had elephants block our road. In every single one of these circumstances, I was very happily taking pictures from the inside of my car with the windows closed! 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haven't really heard about the safaris on horseback, but safaris are amazing. I was volunteering in tanzania a few summers ago and did a one day safari and a three day. Especially at the end of the safari had the most incredible time. We were driving in a jeep through the Serengeti and could stand up and look out when we were stopped. Late in the afternoon, stopped and watched a group of lionesses eyeing a massive herd of zebra and slowly, cautiously approaching them and then hiding behind the tall grasses motionless for a while before they moved again. They were so patient! So different to watch in person than on tv. I was breathless the entire time. I could have stayed and watched forever, but it was getting late, so we drove on and a minute later, with the zebras still in view, we saw a cheetah on the side of the road really close to us. Then came a herd of gazelle and the cheetah got ready to grab some dinner. But just as he started his sprint, a jeep pulled up behind us really loudly and people were squealing at all the animals. Of course the gazelle noticed the cheetah at this point and all started running, so he lost his chance. He seemed to glare at us, crossed the road directly in front of us - I felt like I could just get out and touch him - and then lay down to rest in the grass. So frustrating! Then, as if things hadn't been exciting enough, we drove back to the campground to find a group of elephants pulling leaves from a tree in the middle of the campground, right next to ppl's tents. Watched them from a really close distance as we were eating dinner. It was all such a surreal experience and even as I'm writing this, it sounds like it was too good to be true. So basically... you all better go on safari sometime during your life. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't, but it's still such an experience to just be out there with all the wildlife. Okay, epic tale finished.
 
Ohhhh I've been hoping to do this! My parents promised me a trip somewhere for a combination of high school and college graduation gifts. I had been planning on going this summer, but I haven't had the opportunity to do much riding this year and I'd want to get riding fit before I go. So hopefully next summer....! And I too want to take the time to find a place that takes good care of their horses and has good safety practices. I'm good with North American wildlife, but I have no practical experience in avoiding damage from lions and elephants :laugh:
 
WOW!!!! I would love to go on a safari. I have always wanted to go to Africa and since one of my dreams has already come true (getting into vet school), then maybe another one will too!!! I would love to do some volunteering next summer in Africa and was wondering if anyone may know of some reputable programs that allow veterinary students to volunteer there?
Thedogisgreen: I am interested in the volunteer program in which you participated and would love to know more. Sounded like an unbelievable adventure..watching cheetahs hunt and elephants grazing at your campground!!! WOW!!
Heylodeb: Since you grew up in South Africa, was wondering if you will be studying wildlife medicine and plan on returning to work in South Africa as a vet at one of the game reserves (c'mon, that adrenaline rush from being chased by a rhino must have been the thrill of a lifetime)!!!

BTW, maybe we should start an SDN trip to Africa next summer!! Any takers???
 
BTW, maybe we should start an SDN trip to Africa next summer!! Any takers???

Brothers Safaris (http://www.brotherssafaris.com/) has veterinary trips.

I am 99.9% I will be going on their wildlife immobilization course next summer: http://www.brotherssafaris.com/inde...ife-immobilisation-a-conservation-course.html... I can take it for credit, too, courtesy of our study abroad office!

There's also EnviroVet (http://www.envirovet.org/); I know a student who went on it and loved it.
 
Last edited:
Brothers Safaris (http://www.brotherssafaris.com/) has veterinary trips.

I am 99.9% I will be going on their wildlife immobilization course next summer: http://www.brotherssafaris.com/inde...ife-immobilisation-a-conservation-course.html... I can take it for credit, too, courtesy of our study abroad office!

There's also EnviroVet (http://www.envirovet.org/); I know a student who went on it and loved it.

Thanks!! That course sounds awesome!! If you don't mind me asking, do you know the approximate cost?
 
Thanks!! That course sounds awesome!! If you don't mind me asking, do you know the approximate cost?

$5,000-$8,000-ish depending on airfare, I think. That's just for the immobilization course, though; I have no idea if their other trips have a similar cost.

EnviroVet is something like $7,000-$8,000.
 
Your gut feling about going out in the reserve at night was right. NEVER EVER go out into a game reserve at night. EVER. Even if you hear 700 stories of people who survived. DON'T DO IT. (no offense to your brother -I'm gad he was safe and had a wonderful experience!)


If you every go to Africa please obey heylodeb advice. My father lives in Zambia and I have been on several safari rides within game parks. (No big cats though) If you're going ot spend the money on the trip make sure you are on good horses. Polo mares do not make for the best of rides!
 
I was on a volunteer trip through my college and actually working with kids most of the time there but had to get the wildlife experience too. I don't know of any specific links, but I've done a ton of research in the past on vet and animal programs in Africa. The problem is always money - they jack up the prices like crazy bc of "admin costs". Grr. I don't have any in mind right now, but google around, there are quite a few - some that are animal care or research, and some that are more specifically veterinary.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad