OT - Asking for Directions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IceScrewball

Soon to be in PharmD!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just finished my bachelors and will be going to pharmacy school at a big campus (about 30k undergrad students), but I've only spent one semester attending class on that campus. I live about an hour away, and spend absolutely none of my free time there. Because of this, I know where three buildings are: the pharmacy school, vet benefits/financial aid, and the bookstore.

When I am walking to/from my car, I constantly get someone who slows down and asks me where something is. Most recently, I got asked where the art museum is. I didn't even know (or care) that there was an art museum on campus! I said, "sorry, I don't know," and kept walking. She pulled up further and told me, "well I think it's near the something-or-other building." Again, more frustrated this time, I said I didn't know and kept walking. Finally, as she is continuing to follow me in her car, she asked me where the general visitor's center is so that she could ask directions. I stopped walking, looked at her, and said "I'm sorry, I don't go here," then she drove off.

This is just the most recent example, but this happens ALL THE TIME! I hate being rude to people, especially when they are clearly high school kids with their parents, but I never have any idea where these places are. Does anyone have a good response that is both polite, but clearly states that you are not interested in helping them find their destination?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad