OT: Moar Phast, Moar Phurious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The only time I'll drive a manual is when I'm drag racing :laugh:

I've gotten so used to the automatic now, and I don't think I could drive a manual.

Wimp
fightj.gif
 
I LOVE the Commodore and Monaro. I damn near bought an '06 GTO last year and had my eyes on the G8.

Seriously, these are just sex on wheels:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/2004-2005_Holden_VZ_Monaro_CV8_coupe_01.jpg

http://community.eu.playstation.com...DF193B20AD/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

I loved the Ute, but I'm not sure its my style. I am rather stoked that GM is talking about bringing it over here though

Hehe. I like my '04. I'd have been all about a G8 GXP if the situation had allowed it.

@Bob: Lancer wut? Dude, if it's that direction you need a Subaru 😛

@pharmB: Please to be activating maximum ROOFLES
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How about CVT cars? Knock off "manualmatics" lol.... my mom's Nissan is CVT it's fully automatic but has shifting abilities. For example, you can shift down to lower your speed when going by a speeding camera or something.

I did something like that once. I accelerated up to 4th gear, and hit 6000 RPM, so my car tried to automatically switch to the next gear. Except there isn't another one, so it forces the RPM down to 1000~1500, forcing my car to slow down. It felt weird.

On my car, I can go probably 40 MPH on second gear (that's what the car manual says), so going from 70 MPH to 40 MPH too quickly might not be so great for the car. That is, unless I hit the breaks to get my RPM down from 6000. But in that case, it would just be better to use my breaks to slow down rather than changing gears.
 
I did something like that once. I accelerated up to 4th gear, and hit 6000 RPM, so my car tried to automatically switch to the next gear. Except there isn't another one, so it forces the RPM down to 1000~1500, forcing my car to slow down. It felt weird.

And that's why I hate them.

Its designed for people who want to drive a manual but don't really want to learn.

Plus there's something about dropping the clutch in a car and taking off that is way too much fun.
 
And that's why I hate them.

Its designed for people who want to drive a manual but don't really want to learn.

Plus there's something about dropping the clutch in a car and taking off that is way too much fun.

I did that while playing Need For Speed. I'll keep all of that racing in the game :laugh: Out on the streets, I have to look out for all other cars since I rarely have a long stretch of road. Too many curves and traffic lights around here.
 
Dropping the clutch in any car with any amount of torque will result in nothing but wheelspin.

Even with Mickey Thompsons, dropping the clutch in my Mustang means a terrible 60 foot time because it takes so long for my tires to hook up.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay I neeeeeed help w/ my Honors Capstone project. I've compiled a list of possible topics. Will you guys help me etch out what I should realllly do?

*Possibly write a grant.... I'm not sure for what, but the science department @ my school is lacking a lot of essentials... my microbio teacher was huffing about the scopes and kids scratching them (gahhh)

*Effects of Age (GEN X vs GEN Y), Gender, Religion to Authority Figures
Possibly implement a Milgram's experiment on obedience...Or create my own test to see if participants are willing to obey an authority figure who instructs them to perform acts that conflict w/ their conscience? Would I need to get a lot of forms signed for this since it is human testings?

*Differentiating Instruction Using Educational Technology--Implementing Technology in the Classroom (distance courses vs in class instruction, mymathlab, blackboard)

*Motivation in the Workplace/Schoolplace- An Examination on Goal Setting, Motivation and Life Long Dreams

I also wanted to implement something with Pharmacy (my intended major) but it seems hard because not many people are interested in the field @ my school so I couldn't get a group together really to "test" and do an applied project. Also with the grant writing I know I'd have a very difficult time. I'd like to do really do an applied project, however I don't mind writing a paper (the first option of 10-15 page paper... writing doesn't bother me I've already completed a beast of a paper in high school that was 16 pages aka Extended Essay but it was a literary analysis).
 
I use Pirelli Rossos, one of the most expensive tires available, and they're $294/tire, (not counting the environmental crap or mounting and balancing) from Tire Rack, so I assume they'd be well over $300/ea at a retail location like Big O. But I can't see how ANY mfr. tire is $400 a piece unless you're adding in mounting and balancing or something.
 
*Possibly write a grant.... I'm not sure for what, but the science department @ my school is lacking a lot of essentials... my microbio teacher was huffing about the scopes and kids scratching them (gahhh)
Boring and takes too long
*Effects of Age (GEN X vs GEN Y), Gender, Religion to Authority Figures
Possibly implement a Milgram's experiment on obedience...Or create my own test to see if participants are willing to obey an authority figure who instructs them to perform acts that conflict w/ their conscience? Would I need to get a lot of forms signed for this since it is human testings?)

You cannot do milgram's study without going through an IRB process which is tedious. Again, takes too long and this experiment has been done many many MANY times before
*Differentiating Instruction Using Educational Technology--Implementing Technology in the Classroom (distance courses vs in class instruction, mymathlab, blackboard)
Easiest of all...make some sort of website/blackboard course. Pick a pharmacy topic- hell a way to study for the PCAT for all I know.
*Motivation in the Workplace/Schoolplace- An Examination on Goal Setting, Motivation and Life Long Dreams


How would you measure this?
 
How would you measure this?
Sweet narrowed it down a ton for me. Beforehand, I would create a sample group maybe 20 or so people.... ask these people initially upfront to report what they intend to do with their future, why.... so this is initial. Blindly taking what they THINK they want in a public forum type place. Then after I collected what they "said" I would attempt to put those responses up against a set of surveys for example I'd start off with a "career" test with the sample group (a mix of people with intended majors). Then from there have a test that identifies WHICH thrives you the most- Money, Being secure, family, people's opinions, etc. I learned about this test in my intercultural class.... But drawing a blank....
After my results were posted for that. I'd ask people once again after their results were handed back what they thought and if they agreed and draw conclusions from that. I would have to repeat this test a few times to probably draw any sound conclusions though. (Idk if I'm making sense of what I want to do though?)
 
Sweet narrowed it down a ton for me. Beforehand, I would create a sample group maybe 20 or so people.... ask these people initially upfront to report what they intend to do with their future, why.... so this is initial. Blindly taking what they THINK they want in a public forum type place. Then after I collected what they "said" I would attempt to put those responses up against a set of surveys for example I'd start off with a "career" test with the sample group (a mix of people with intended majors). Then from there have a test that identifies WHICH thrives you the most- Money, Being secure, family, people's opinions, etc. I learned about this test in my intercultural class.... But drawing a blank....
After my results were posted for that. I'd ask people once again after their results were handed back what they thought and if they agreed and draw conclusions from that. I would have to repeat this test a few times to probably draw any sound conclusions though. (Idk if I'm making sense of what I want to do though?)

So you want to see what motivations draw people to certain fields, correct? You are going to need a bigger representative sample and you are going to want to try to get data about socioeconomic status, geographic region, and ethnicity. Survey form would be cool...but you should do it at ASU where you can hand out LOTS of surveys which only take a few minutes to fill out and give away some lolipop or something (incentive to do the survey). I would do it for a straight week outside the MU at lunchtime. You will also need to make sure that the subjects don't know what the surveys are going to measure otherwise they might answer differently. Blind is good. But, you need to have consistent measurements- maybe like a 1-5 scale and you probably want to use a stat analysis with SPSS or something like that to get graphs.
 
So you want to see what motivations draw people to certain fields, correct? You are going to need a bigger representative sample and you are going to want to try to get data about socioeconomic status, geographic region, and ethnicity. Survey form would be cool...but you should do it at ASU where you can hand out LOTS of surveys which only take a few minutes to fill out and give away some lolipop or something (incentive to do the survey). I would do it for a straight week outside the MU at lunchtime. You will also need to make sure that the subjects don't know what the surveys are going to measure otherwise they might answer differently. Blind is good. But, you need to have consistent measurements- maybe like a 1-5 scale and you probably want to use a stat analysis with SPSS or something like that to get graphs.
Do you think offering lollipops would be hurting the survey though? Because I'm giving them incentive to do something for me? Also, I know some people will just fill it out and maybe lie for whatever reason to get a lollipop. I will look into socioeconomic stuff and how to add that into a survey. Perhaps just a simple checklist will do for that in the beginning. That would be interesting to add into the comparison.

It's great you mention ASU since the campus is so diverse, where better to do it? You're completely correct. Thanks for the tips! I'll talk to my honors adviser about attempting to do something like that. (She still has yet to reply to the topic ideas I've sent her this weekend....)
 
Yea, they were massively wide tires and the rims were, I think, 19 inches. Plus they had to be rather narrow to fit in the wheel well properly.

I spent about $2400 on a set by the time I was done.

I have 19" wheels also, but they're only 245/50, not the super-thick 305s, and thank goodness for that, because I can barely afford ~$300/tire.

Not to mention the $100 oil changes (weee, Royal Purple).
 
what the hell do you drive? lol

2008 Mustang GT/CS with a Stage II Roush package (Includes the 435hp Roushcharger and a bunch of other yummies like Jack Roush's signature on my dash, yay!)... It was a good idea while I was in the Army and had a lot of money to throw at it but now it's like, not so much. I paid about $9,000 for the dash plaque proudly proclaiming its awesomeness. Since it's numbered and there were only 500 of them in different trims made, I thought it was an investment! LOL. But I love it, and it's paid for...
 
2008 Mustang GT/CS with a Stage II Roush package (Includes the 435hp Roushcharger and a bunch of other yummies like Jack Roush's signature on my dash, yay!)... It was a good idea while I was in the Army and had a lot of money to throw at it but now it's like, not so much. I paid about $9,000 for the dash plaque proudly proclaiming its awesomeness. Since it's numbered and there were only 500 of them in different trims made, I thought it was an investment! LOL. But I love it, and it's paid for...

I officially despise you

I would never buy a Mustang unless it was a Roush one.

I mean Jack Roush is a bit of a whiny bitch, but he makes good cars
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bah, japanomobile is super boring for sure. 8 cylinders or go home!

I also eat my steaks raw and drink Miller Lite! RAWR





I joke, I joke. I don't hate Japanese cars. Well, not much anyway. 😛

Hey but my bank account likes my V6. 👍 Too bad it only uses the rip off grade gasoline. 🙁
 
Hey but my bank account likes my V6. 👍 Too bad it only uses the rip off grade gasoline. 🙁

I outrace V6 cars all the time on the way to school. :laugh: It's kinda dumb when I can go much faster than a Mustang on the highway :laugh: I guess those are just people who like fancy looking cars with good engines, but they don't actually use all (or even most) of the horsepower.

The only times I drive a V6 are when I drive the SUV at home :laugh:

I only drive V8 and V10 cars in video games :laugh: If I did that IRL, people on the highway might get nervous. :laugh: But seriously, I always keep my distance from other cars. I tend to use my breaks way more than most people, so on the highway, I always notice other cars keeping their distance from me. I rarely have any car right on my tail :laugh:
 
I outrace V6 cars all the time on the way to school. :laugh: It's kinda dumb when I can go much faster than a Mustang on the highway :laugh: I guess those are just people who like fancy looking cars with good engines, but they don't actually use all (or even most) of the horsepower.

All the time? Oh really? Let's see you in the snow. Unless you have a Subaru. 🙂 I'd love to see you go against one of the Subarus with VDC and TCS.

And you will never be able to outrace Death sooner or later, CRAZYbob. 😉 And Death drives an H6.
 
All the time? Oh really? Let's see you in the snow. Unless you have a Subaru. 🙂 I'd love to see you go against one of the Subarus with VDC and TCS.

And you will never be able to outrace Death sooner or later, CRAZYbob. 😉 And Death drives an H6.

:laugh: I haven't seen snow around here in a month or so. I'm just saying that people I see around here with mustangs and chargers drive a bit slower than I do.

If we all did a quarter mile run, I'm sure they would be faster.
 
I officially despise you

I would never buy a Mustang unless it was a Roush one.

I mean Jack Roush is a bit of a whiny bitch, but he makes good cars

Jack and Steve both do great things for Mustangs... I've always had Mustangs, but this is my first tuner car. My first car was a '68 Mustang I-6 (200 cubes, oh boy).

To a certain extent, all car modders like Shelby, Roush and Saleen are whiny bitches...

And just because you are so mean to me:

mmpi50.jpg
 
:laugh: I don't think I've seen or heard of anyone around here driving a Roush mustang. All of the ones I've seen are just standard or GT500. Are roush mustangs any more expensive?

These are the starter ones, they go way up from there - http://www.roushperformance.com/vehicles.shtml

Roush has to personally choose your dealership in order to sell them. And the only people who buy them usually know what they're buying.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
These are the starter ones, they go way up from there - http://www.roushperformance.com/vehicles.shtml

Roush has to personally choose your dealership in order to sell them. And the only people who buy them usually know what they're buying.

There's one close to my hometown, but I don't really see myself staying close to here after I graduate. I plan on living in a different part of the state, and I wouldn't want to drive 3 hours just to buy a car unless I really needed/wanted it. There's a second dealership in OK that is close to where I might want to live, but that dealership is 2 1/2 hours away.
 
There's one close to my hometown, but I don't really see myself staying close to here after I graduate. I plan on living in a different part of the state, and I wouldn't want to drive 3 hours just to buy a car unless I really needed/wanted it. There's a second dealership in OK that is close to where I might want to live, but that dealership is 2 1/2 hours away.

Usually, and Sci may have to correct me, you can go to any Ford dealer for maintainence.

I would never, ever buy a Ford unless it was a Roush Mustang.
 
Nicole, the lolipop won't hurt anything and yeah sure, some people will lie, but that's why you do a large number of them. Just have a checklist with standard income brackets, ethnicities, gender, marital status (don't forget to include "partnered"), geographic region, major and grade level. Then a small space for them to write in an ideal occupation (i.e. Nurse, engineer, teacher, blablah). Having them write out something longer will be a deterent. Then under that do the survey and add in some nonsense questions like favorite sport (for which you have specific ones to check off) and then integrate the questions from that one survey you did in class. Make sense? Then you can input all of the data (minus nonsense questions) into SPSS and get numerous breakdowns by ethnicity, gender, etc. You have to assign values to each variable. Sounds like a pain in the ass but you'll have an awesome project!