Other OT-Related Information OT/OTA vs PT/PTA need in home care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geronamo26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on OTA for a career. Is there a market for OT/OTAs in home care or is it more geared towards PT/PTAs? What do OTs do in home care settings? Home care is something I am interested in, but a family member of mine told me that PTA would be the way to go. My grandmother fell and fractured her hip last year. According to a family member of mine, she was seen by an OT once, and the PTA several times. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is a market for cotas in home care but more ptas. it seems to be agency dependent.

I know several home cares that only offer ot and pt. No assistants.

Some of the smaller home cares contract with a staffing agency owned by a PT /OT and they just do the initial visit and the asst does the remaining visits.

There is a market for cotas in home care but more ptas. it seems to be agency dependent.

I know several home cares that only offer ot and pt. No assistants.

Some of the smaller home cares contract with a staffing agency owned by a PT /OT and they just do the initial visit and the asst does the remaining visits.

What do COTAs do in home care? Do you see an increase in OT in home care in the future?

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I am not too sure how an OT works in home care let alone COTAs. I have been on many sessions with PT and PTAs. Obviously the stuff you learn in school like home mods etc can be used but I have never seen it in action (yet).

Quality of service generally range from really good to really bad (10 min visits lol) from what I have observed and been told.

Someone who is actually practicing hopefully will answer as home care seems like a popular secondary setting for OT/COTA.

Hi,
I'm an OTR/L that practices in home care. Our company does not use COTAs although other companies do. In the home care setting, you're mainly looking at home safety and accessibility as well as ADLs (self cares) like showering, cooking or dressing. You also do some UB strengthening and endurance but less than in a transitional care or nursing home setting. So you would help the patient get more independent with showers including the transfer and associated dressing/undressing etc but you might also help them get shower grab bars installed by connecting them to a contracting company. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have further questions.