OT: Outdoor Summer Hobbies

Started by Sparda29
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do you guys like to do? Usually I like to play paintball in the summer but my knees haven't recovered 100% from ACL Reconstruction so I'm afraid of going back into it.

I've gotten into gardening projects and herbs quite a bit. Right now I'm growing tomatoes, peppers, which I've done for years, but the new special project for this year: the Devil's Trumpet Datura or Jimsonweed/Thornapple. The plant seeds apparently contain atropine, scopolamine, and hyoscyamine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
it is too hot in the summer for daytime outdoor activities in phoenix 🙁 100 degrees right now. but most people probably like to go to the lake, take a roadtrip, hiking in the early early morning, and go out only at night 🙂
 
I'm having trouble finding an already grown version of the Devil's Trumpet plant. Local florists and gardening stores seem to not carry it at all. I was talking to one of the florists and his demeanor changed when I mentioned it, like into a "GTFO" demeanor, I know that scopolamine, one of its active compounds is used to treat motion sickness via the patches, but I had no idea about it's criminal use to hypnotize their victims. It apparently makes them lose free will. 😱:meanie:
 
it is too hot in the summer for daytime outdoor activities in phoenix 🙁 100 degrees right now. but most people probably like to go to the lake, take a roadtrip, hiking in the early early morning, and go out only at night 🙂

No swimming??? I just slather on the sun block and go.

But yeah, us arizonans have a different idea of summer activities. I go to the movies a lot 😀 coffee shops, shopping, house parties/get togethers and lots of night activities. Fortunately the nights in Tucson are a bit more bearable than nights in Phoenix thanks to our open lush desert and lack of extensive development. The metropolis sucks in the summer! No thanks! 👎
 
This is my second year gardening. I put up two raised vegetable beds. I planted tomatoes, herbs, carrots, lettuce, cucumbers...
The cucumbers were a mistake. Their leaves shriveled up and died instantly. I don't know why their little sign says they need 6 solid hours of sun. More like part shade.
I went to Home depot but they didn't have that many plants. So I purchased some seeds. The seeds haven't sprouted yet. I think I'll wait a bit then go plant something else in their place.

My second outdoor hobby is horseback riding. I take one lesson a week and I ride twice a week in addition. It is time-consuming but an enormous stress reliever too. My instructor is very enthusiastic and positive.
I also have booked a couple of campsites in OR state parks for us to go camping in the summer.

YAAY I love summer!
 
I'm having trouble finding an already grown version of the Devil's Trumpet plant. Local florists and gardening stores seem to not carry it at all. I was talking to one of the florists and his demeanor changed when I mentioned it, like into a "GTFO" demeanor, I know that scopolamine, one of its active compounds is used to treat motion sickness via the patches, but I had no idea about it's criminal use to hypnotize their victims. It apparently makes them lose free will. 😱:meanie:

Your reputation on SDN has crossed over to SGN (Student Gardening Network).
 
Ugh part of me is definitely not looking forward to spending this summer in Phoenix. Im looking for an indoor activity right now and might have found one. Outdoors though? Pool. All I got for now lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nah, I'm borrowing a road bike at the moment. Still feels weird having to clip in/clip out. Still haven't conditioned myself that I have to twist sideways to get my foot free instead of just pick it up.