OT: Pre-Vet Bookworms

Started by xTineTH
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

xTineTH

Illinois c/o 2020
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Let's start a thread dedicated to books! Books for leisure reading, not textbooks, since there are several threads asking about recommended textbooks for veterinary school.

Please share your book recommendations, books on your to-read list, or anything else related to the topic. :joyful:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Anything (like, all of the books, not a strange book title) by Anne McCaffrey
2. Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix
3. Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin (Game of Thrones for the TV show followers)
4. Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind (though his insistence on continuing to add books after wrapping up the series nicely irks me)
5. Harry Potter series (if I have to tell you who wrote this one welcome back from your hypersleep)

Those are my faves off the top of my head.
 
So I know this sounds lame but due to my strict hispanic catholic background, I wasn't allowed to read the Harry Potter books. Well, I just finished Deathly Hallows 2 and it was just an epic journey. I wish I could have read it through out my childhood so it would have been years of savoring it rather than just a few months.

Btw, my family totally doesn't abide by the ban of witchcraft, wizadry and vampire ban. I found erotic vampire novels on my mothers kindle 😱😕🙄😛

I also think the Song of Ice and Fire novels are really good. George really needs to get a move on with this upcoming book!
 
hey @kcoughli... my current poison:

wged5Ev.jpg


😛
 
Recommended books:
The Book Thief
Life of Pi
Hitchhiker's Guide
House of Leaves
Catch-22
Ender's Game
Battle Royale

Recommended authors (I've enjoyed multiple works by each):
Patrick Rothfuss
Stephen King
JK Rowling (duh)
Ursula K. Le Guin
Anthony Burgess
Tobias Wolff
Margaret Atwood
Chuck Palahniuk
Jane Austen
Agatha Christie
Michael Crichton
Octavia Butler
Cornelia Funke
Ray Bradbury

Oh I could go on and on...
 
I love this thread already.

Stuff I've read lately (and recommend):
Anything by Liane Moriarty (kind of "chick-lit" but very fun to read, and she's a good storyteller)
Defending Jacob (outstanding legal/mystery thriller... one of those 'stayed up till 3 AM to finish it' types)
The Martian
14 (weird, over-the-top sci-fi... but really fun and interesting)
For mystery/thriller I also recommend Gillian Flynn and Tana French.
 
Anne McCaffrey was an amazing writer. At this point, I have most everything she wrote, with the exception of three of the PTB series. I also enjoy Mercedes Lackey, and Carole Douglas Anderson. Piers Anthony, Spider Robinson, Iris Johansen and Faye Kellerman round out my book case. Katie McAllister is also there. I keep saying I am going to develop a database so I can keep track of everything, to make sure I don't get duplicates of series. My hubby keeps muttering about cleaning it out and taking them to the second hand bookstore, I have muttered back something that sounds like "over my dead body". FYI...my main bookcase is 6 feet high, 7 feet long, and most of the shelves are triple-stacked.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Second recommendations for The Book Thief and anything by Gillian Flynn and Agatha Christie! A couple books that I read recently that I couldn't put down were The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah and All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series is also really good!
 
Second recommendations for The Book Thief and anything by Gillian Flynn and Agatha Christie! A couple books that I read recently that I couldn't put down were The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah and All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series is also really good!
Ohh, I forgot The Nightingale! I second that. Fabulous book.
 
The Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling is a great and less well-known one for the fantasy folks. Otherwise I think people have pretty much covered my bases here. Major hearts to Hitchhiker's and Catch-22, all-time fave books there.
 
I'm currently reading All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr and I really love it!

I also love The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (this title just popped into my head). I've read so many books, I think the character count would be up before I finished half my list :hardy:

Ps. I love this thread.
 
Will definitely be paying attention to this thread as I want to do a lot of reading between now and starting my internship. I have The Martian with me right now to read while I'm out at NBC. Sadly, the most recent book I read for pleasure was months ago and was Stranger in a Strangle Land by Robert A. Heinlein.
 
So I'll be adding my book lists soon, I just wanted to mention something before I forgot! I have an honors seminar class this semester with the head of Ok State vet school admissions (and there's only like 15 of us in this class, so he really gets to know me) and he said that his favorite interview question to ask is "what book, not school related, did you read last?" and he says that he's shocked how many "Harry Potter"s he got. SOO pick a good book if you get an interview somewhere, maybe you'll get to use it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an honors seminar class this semester with the head of Ok State vet school admissions (and there's only like 15 of us in this class, so he really gets to know me) and he said that his favorite interview question to ask is "what book, not school related, did you read last?" and he says that he's shocked how many "Harry Potter"s he got. SOO pick a good book if you get an interview somewhere, maybe you'll get to use it!
This question makes me feel bad because I honestly don't remember :eggface: :laugh:
I haven't read for fun in soooo long. I'm just on the internet too much in my leisure time. I have books I bought back in high school that I never finished/started. (and I've been saying I should reread the entire Harry Potter series every year since book 7 came out)
 
So I'll be adding my book lists soon, I just wanted to mention something before I forgot! I have an honors seminar class this semester with the head of Ok State vet school admissions (and there's only like 15 of us in this class, so he really gets to know me) and he said that his favorite interview question to ask is "what book, not school related, did you read last?" and he says that he's shocked how many "Harry Potter"s he got. SOO pick a good book if you get an interview somewhere, maybe you'll get to use it!

I got asked this during an interview for one of my internship interviews. I was just honest and said I haven't really had time to sit down and read for pleasure recently.
 
Adrian McKinty writes great Northern Irish noir
Tana French - the first 3 "Dublin Murder Squad" books

I second "14" and "Defending Jacob"

Dr. Mutter's Marvels - Dr. Mutter developed many reconstructive plastic surgery techniques in the mid 19th century, even before anesthesia
The Orphan Master's Son - don't let the fact it won a Pulitzer put you off - it is an amazing story of North Korea
Alas, Babylon - a classic post-apocalyptic novel
Stiff - a very humerous non-fiction book about "the curious life of human cadavers"
 
Its a little bit more on the young adult side, but I grew up with the Mercedes Lackey books ( Valdemar series) and the Tamora Pierce books. Still nice to go back to occasionally
I love Tamora Pierce! Her novels are very comforting and inspiring. I'm partial to Daine's story [emoji6] of course, don't we all wish we had that kind of relationship with animals.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
I'm a big Tolkien nerd and a card-carrying member of the Tolkien Society (you should join too!), but I also enjoy SF and classic literature. The best SF book I've ever read is Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Best fantasy I've read, beside Tolkien, is the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. I also absolutely love pretty much anything by Cormac McCarthy, with The Road probably being my favorite.
 
Listened to it on tape and I would drive around town just so I could listen to it. People think the movie is crazy; they have no idea how psycho it really is until they read the book.

What do you use for audiobooks? I already used up my free credit on Audible and I'm not sure I want to spend money on more books that I can't hug.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad