OT: Pre-Vet Bookworms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I actually don't know if my phone has enough memory or not. I get the "free" phone available for the phone plan and it can hold 500 pictures. I have no idea how much memory is has for music or audiobooks, though. I'll have to dig out the manual. Or when I get a free phone after the end of the school year, I could just get a better phone.....

Members don't see this ad.

May I please just say that The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is my absolute favorite book of all time and you guys must add it to your list?! It's a super fast and easy read, but so amazing and refreshing. I named my dog Santiago after the main character. It's a GREAT book!!

Am I the only one who hated Gone Girl?

I'm a huge audiobook fan - also uses Audible.com - and I listen them through my smartphone. There are lots of free audiobooks available online if you're interested in public domain books (and there are a lot of great books in the public domain), but I found the quality of the narration isn't great; your public library probably has a bunch too, but the selection is limited (comparatively).

Members don't see this ad :)
Throwing out the audiobook love (also use Audible). This is what saved me during the summer dealing with the commute in Chicago. I think I would have gone crazy if I hadn't discovered the magic of audiobooks and how it made the commute bearable and more like "me time" than "I want to kill everyone time."

The library here has audio books on disk and are part of some giant program that collects basically a digital library, movies, books, music... and as long as you are a library member, access and downloads are free. I know some things you can have forever and some disappear without a renewal. I lost my old phone and haven't redownloaded the app yet. (Too busy with NPR podcasts.)

This question makes me feel bad because I honestly don't remember :eggface: :laugh:
I haven't read for fun in soooo long. I'm just on the internet too much in my leisure time. I have books I bought back in high school that I never finished/started. (and I've been saying I should reread the entire Harry Potter series every year since book 7 came out)
Same. I remember the last book I read for fun, but it took me around two years to get through it (not because it was bad, I just kept getting distracted), and I finished it over a year ago. I also have a bad habit of re-reading books rather than starting a new one from my giant stack.

I've been meaning to do another Harry Potter re-read, the last time I did was in 2011 before the last movie came out. I've read all the books at least three times each, the first few around ten times each. :D My copy of Sorcerer's Stone completely fell apart (the pages separated from the binding) and had to be replaced, and my copy of Chamber of Secrets is almost there as well. But anyway, my boyfriend and I decided to listen to the Harry Potter audio books on our road trip in June! It will be over a 3,000 mile trip and we still won't be even close to making it through all of them, but it will be better than us arguing over what music to listen to. I'm not a huge audio book fan because I'm bad at paying attention, but Jim Dale's narration is just the best. :love: My mom is working on converting our old cassette tape copies of the audio books to MP3s for me, because the bf and I both have newer cars without tape players.

Same. I remember the last book I read for fun, but it took me around two years to get through it (not because it was bad, I just kept getting distracted), and I finished it over a year ago. I also have a bad habit of re-reading books rather than starting a new one from my giant stack.

I've been meaning to do another Harry Potter re-read, the last time I did was in 2011 before the last movie came out. I've read all the books at least three times each, the first few around ten times each. :D My copy of Sorcerer's Stone completely fell apart (the pages separated from the binding) and had to be replaced, and my copy of Chamber of Secrets is almost there as well. But anyway, my boyfriend and I decided to listen to the Harry Potter audio books on our road trip in June! It will be over a 3,000 mile trip and we still won't be even close to making it through all of them, but it will be better than us arguing over what music to listen to. I'm not a huge audio book fan because I'm bad at paying attention, but Jim Dale's narration is just the best. :love: My mom is working on converting our old cassette tape copies of the audio books to MP3s for me, because the bf and I both have newer cars without tape players.
Are you me?? Reread HP countless times and have also listened to them on audiobook :p

Reactions: 1 user
Am I the only one who hated Gone Girl?

I've never read it and I never will because I hated the movie. They took a wealth of acting and directing talent and completely squandered it on a vapid, utterly pointless, borderline nihilistic story. I never walk out of movies, but sometimes I look back and wish I had. That was one of them.

My family read the 5th book via audio tape! It was when we were in the midst of our move down here, so we had to make a lot of multi-hour trips which made for perfect opportunities to listen. They really are the best and it was more entertaining than switching stations! I still have the set put up in my closet somewhere...nearly 24 hours on something like 16 cassette tapes :laugh:

What do you use for audiobooks? I already used up my free credit on Audible and I'm not sure I want to spend money on more books that I can't hug.
I use an app called Overdrive. I can link my public library to it and download any books that my library (which really links to the state-wide digital library) has available just like a normal library book. But digital. I use my personal (county) library card number and can put e-books or audio books on hold, borrow them for two weeks, then they are returned automatically. Currently listening to Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and waiting on Four by Veronica Roth.

Reactions: 1 users
Blue blood series by Melissa de la Cruz are good! And moon shell beach by Nancy Thayer was the great book I read this summer ( tad risqué but not 50 shades of grey intense ;))

Members don't see this ad :)
Still reading Gone Girl but I think it definitely lost some steam. I don't want to give anything away, so being vague...but end of part 1/beginning of part 2 is when things started to slow down for me (and I think those who have read it probably know why). That revelation felt more like a climax, and not something that should be happening with half the book still to go. Still interested in seeing where it goes though!

I love to read Fantasy (my handle name in here and picture are after all the main character of one of my favorite series lol ).

Favorite authors:
Brandon Sanderson (favorite of all time!!)
Patrick Rothfuss
Robert Jordan
Naomi Novik
Tolkien
Rick Riordan
J.K. Rowling
I would pretty much read anything by these authors (and mostly have and I would recommend their books to everybody!!)

Recent books I've enjoyed and would recommend:
-Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia
- Seraphina by Rachel Heartman
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (more sci-fi than fantasy but great book!)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
I use an app called Overdrive. I can link my public library to it and download any books that my library (which really links to the state-wide digital library) has available just like a normal library book. But digital. I use my personal (county) library card number and can put e-books or audio books on hold, borrow them for two weeks, then they are returned automatically. Currently listening to Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and waiting on Four by Veronica Roth.
Yes! I love Overdrive. I have asked all my family members who live in other cities to give me their library cards numbers and I've more options this way . Also, my local library allows me to make recommendations on what they should buy next, so every month I get notifications that they order the ebook/audio books that I suggested. And this is all done through the app.

I also use Audible but I tend to wait for the audiobooks to go on sale or I've found out that if you buy a ebook in the kindle version it usually asks you if you want to buy the audio book for $1.99 extra. So instead of spending like $20+ on the audiobook you spend like $5.99 on ebook + audiobook.

ImageUploadedBySDN1459555241.240047.jpg

I could seriously talk about books all day lol.

Last edited:
I love Tamora Pierce! Her novels are very comforting and inspiring. I'm partial to Daine's story of course, don't we all wish we had that kind of relationship with animals.

I liked Daine, but I'm a Kel fan ( : Mercedes Lackey is really similar, little more mature.

So instead of spending like $20+ on the audiobook you spend like $5.99 on ebook + audiobook.

I buy my Audible credits in bulk, and I pay about $9.50 per audiobook. Of course, it's still more expensive than buying the combo, but since I don't like e-books anyway......

I buy my Audible credits in bulk, and I pay about $9.50 per audiobook. Of course, it's still more expensive than buying the combo, but since I don't like e-books anyway......
Don't have to read the ebooks lol. Just a way to save money wherever possible. Doesn't work with all books though, more recently published will be more expensive than buying the audible credits in bulk like you do.

I use Goodreads for book recommendations. I like keeping track of everything I've read, and then it'll give me recommendations based on what I rate books.

I use goodreads too :D thats where my ridculous to read list lives. Don't really need the book recommendations much because i already have so many, but it does help ne keep track of which books and authors i really enjoyed for when I'm making suggestions for others (I always forget some when I'm relying on my brain...there are just too many).

Also, i finished Gone Girl o_O

I love Overdrive! And did you know that if you don't connect your device to Wifi, you can keep the rented books for as long as you'd like? The library thinks you've returned it, but you can have like 10 books on your device and take as long as you'd like to finish them!

OMG thank you guys for telling me about Overdrive! I just signed up and now listening to Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling :)

I bought this book a couple years ago, but just got around to finishing "The Family that Couldn't Sleep" - a non-fiction book about fatal familial insomnia (arguably one of the most terrifying diseases out there) and other prion diseases. It was sometimes a little bit preachy but overall a really fascinating read.

Moving on to Salvador Dali's autobiography now. :D Yay for free time.

I bought this book a couple years ago, but just got around to finishing "The Family that Couldn't Sleep" - a non-fiction book about fatal familial insomnia (arguably one of the most terrifying diseases out there) and other prion diseases. It was sometimes a little bit preachy but overall a really fascinating read.

Moving on to Salvador Dali's autobiography now. :D Yay for free time.
Prion diseases have always scared me!

Your post just reminded me how excited I am to have some free time soon to dig into my public library. Do you like nonfiction books about medicine in general? If so I highly recommend that you check out anything by Mary Roach and/or The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks if you haven't yet. Both good (for different reasons), both very informative.

If you're looking for some more science-y oriented books to read, I also recommend The Disappearing Spoon and The Violinist's Thumb, both by Sam Kean.

Prions are so cool.

I recently finished American God's by Neil Gaiman, loved it. Girl on the Train was good too, I listened to the audiobook. I'm a couple hours from the end of The Fireman by Joe Hill and it has been excellent. It have some quirks that I quite enjoy, and would be lost on anyone who isn't a big fan of The Stand or Stephen King in general. But like I said, I'm loving it. It actually kept me awake through most of the 13 hour car trip home today.

Prion diseases have always scared me!

Your post just reminded me how excited I am to have some free time soon to dig into my public library. Do you like nonfiction books about medicine in general? If so I highly recommend that you check out anything by Mary Roach and/or The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks if you haven't yet. Both good (for different reasons), both very informative.

If you're looking for some more science-y oriented books to read, I also recommend The Disappearing Spoon and The Violinist's Thumb, both by Sam Kean.
I like non-fiction in general! Medicine/science is fun, but to be honest sometimes I like to read in other fields because I just get enough of that in my day to day life, ha. I'm usually pretty game for whatever topics, really, it just depends on the author making it intriguing.

I've read Immortal Life (author actually spoke at my school), a couple by Roach (Stiff, Bonk) and The Disappearing Spoon. The Roach/Kean books are amusing, but frustrate me a little bit because I'm a quite fast reader and they're short/written for such a lay audience that I whip through them and quickly find myself at the end wanting more.

Prions are so cool.

I recently finished American God's by Neil Gaiman, loved it. Girl on the Train was good too, I listened to the audiobook. I'm a couple hours from the end of The Fireman by Joe Hill and it has been excellent. It have some quirks that I quite enjoy, and would be lost on anyone who isn't a big fan of The Stand or Stephen King in general. But like I said, I'm loving it. It actually kept me awake through most of the 13 hour car trip home today.

I love Neil Gaiman. :love: My brother and I were putting together a list of celebrities we would kiss today, and he was on my list. I meant it in a purely platonic way, of course. :p

I love Neil Gaiman. :love: My brother and I were putting together a list of celebrities we would kiss today, and he was on my list. I meant it in a purely platonic way, of course. :p
This was my first time actually reading one of his books though I've admired him for years. Which is weird. Fell in love with one of his short stories, Stardust is just about my favorite movie ever (haven't read the book yet somehow), and I started following his blog on Tumblr and just decided he was one of my favorites.

Prions are so cool.

I just finished The Fireman and really liked it

I've mostly been reading scifi/fantasy for the past few years. some favorites (along with others on here it seems)

The Stormlight Archive (Brandon Sanderson)
The Kingkiller Chronicles (Patrick Rothfuss)
The Nightangel Trilogy & The Lightbringer Series (Brent Weeks)
The Demon Cycle Series (Peter V. Brett)
The Riyria Revelations (Michael J. Sullivan)
Gentleman Bastards Series (Scott Lynch)
A Song of Ice and Fire (George RR Martin)
Dunk & Egg novels (George RR Martin)

Lately I've been reading detective novels. My favorite are all the "Dublin Murder Squad" novels by Tana French

I've mostly been reading scifi/fantasy for the past few years. some favorites (along with others on here it seems)

The Stormlight Archive (Brandon Sanderson)
The Kingkiller Chronicles (Patrick Rothfuss)
The Nightangel Trilogy & The Lightbringer Series (Brent Weeks)
The Demon Cycle Series (Peter V. Brett)
The Riyria Revelations (Michael J. Sullivan)
Gentleman Bastards Series (Scott Lynch)
A Song of Ice and Fire (George RR Martin)
Dunk & Egg novels (George RR Martin)

Lately I've been reading detective novels. My favorite are all the "Dublin Murder Squad" novels by Tana French
More than half of that list is also on the list of series my fiance has been trying to get me to read. But I have such a long to-read list already.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson is a great read. Can be tough to start because you enter the series in media res and have to figure out how things work and the culture as you go but it is worth it.

Also enjoy Stormlight Archive (Brandon Sanderson) and other of Sanderson's works

Anybody have any good (recent) nonfiction suggestions? I'm going to pick up Mukherjee's new book in the next few weeks, but I'm always on the hunt for interesting new nonfiction.

Anybody have any good (recent) nonfiction suggestions? I'm going to pick up Mukherjee's new book in the next few weeks, but I'm always on the hunt for interesting new nonfiction.
I don't know what you'd consider "recent", but here are some of my favourite non-fiction books that I've recently read:

Hillbilly Elegy; a family and culture in crisis (disenfranchisement of working white population, rise of lack of personal responsibility, social and political issues)
Dr. Mutter's Marvels (biography of medical and surgical innovator and eccentric in the 19th century)
Nothing to Envy (interviews with refugees from North Korea about their life there and after their escape)
The Red Market (about the sale of body parts and pieces around the world, now and historically)

I don't know what you'd consider "recent", but here are some of my favourite non-fiction books that I've recently read:

Hillbilly Elegy; a family and culture in crisis (disenfranchisement of working white population, rise of lack of personal responsibility, social and political issues)
Dr. Mutter's Marvels (biography of medical and surgical innovator and eccentric in the 19th century)
Nothing to Envy (interviews with refugees from North Korea about their life there and after their escape)
The Red Market (about the sale of body parts and pieces around the world, now and historically)
These look interesting! And yeah, I specified "recent" just because I often get recommendations for really popular nonfiction books that have been around for a while (Omnivore's Dilemma, The Man who Misstook his Wife for a Hat, Freakonomics, etc.). They're by no means ancient books or anything, they've just been around long enough that I've read them already. :)

I haven't read it yet but Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are? by Frans de Waal looks interesting, and won a goodreads choice award!

Reviving this thread. Because books.

I just finished The Exorcist!
Oh I was planning on reading that sometime soon. What did you think?

I'm excited for Christmas because most of my present requests were for books. :)

Oh I was planning on reading that sometime soon. What did you think?

I'm excited for Christmas because most of my present requests were for books. :)
It was really good! I don't know that it's the scariest book ever written, as people like to claim, but it is pretty creepy.

It was really good! I don't know that it's the scariest book ever written, as people like to claim, but it is pretty creepy.
I think it's very difficult to write a book that is so scary it stays with you for a while after. Even scenarios that I find very frightening and excellent writing still lack some of that atmosphere necessary to really frighten you through text. It's definitely a difficult art.

Have you ever read House of Leaves? It can be a bit of a slog but that book sets up the atmosphere really really well.

I think it's very difficult to write a book that is so scary it stays with you for a while after. Even scenarios that I find very frightening and excellent writing still lack some of that atmosphere necessary to really frighten you through text. It's definitely a difficult art.

Have you ever read House of Leaves? It can be a bit of a slog but that book sets up the atmosphere really really well.
I LOVE that book. Took forever for me to get through but oh man.

Weird that I spotted this thread when I did. Even though I love reading, I haven't read anything new in a while but I just--like 2 minutes ago--finished reading Lily and the Octopus... I don't remember the last time a book actually had me in tears at the end but this one pulled it off. It was kind of hard to read at some points because the protagonist is in deep denial for much of it but I'd still recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind a sad book.

Now I need something else to read so if anyone has suggestions... preferably something a little happier... I would be interested.

I carried it around with me and reread it at least 5 times straight in high school. I loved that book!

I read, but couldn't get into the book that went in 2 directions and bits of his poetry collection. I would like to get into his new series... but part of me wants to wait until it is all out... but that's not how he intends it to be read, plus some of the hunks of it are strange and rare and expensive. I think the first one came in a box and had inlaid tiles and this crazy wrapping and he said that opening it was part of the experience . ... and part of me just can't talk myself into getting that involved with a story. So I just follow it on Facebook and wonder about each update.

I carried it around with me and reread it at least 5 times straight in high school. I loved that book!

I read, but couldn't get into the book that went in 2 directions and bits of his poetry collection. I would like to get into his new series... but part of me wants to wait until it is all out... but that's not how he intends it to be read, plus some of the hunks of it are strange and rare and expensive. I think the first one came in a box and had inlaid tiles and this crazy wrapping and he said that opening it was part of the experience . ... and part of me just can't talk myself into getting that involved with a story. So I just follow it on Facebook and wonder about each update.
Is the series you're talking about The Familiar? I have the first book but haven't read it yet. It's just a regular book though so maybe you're talking about something else lol

I have like four books I've recently Amazon'd and haven't read yet. Sounds like my afternoon off will be books and hot cocoa. :D

New Revolutions was the one that went in 2 directions. The Familiar is the 27 part series slowly coming out now. "It is a multisensory experience..." And The Fifty year Sword was the one that came in the box.
mzd-50ys-trio-sm.jpg

tumblr_m9j9x21noy1qmf1g9.jpg

Is the series you're talking about The Familiar? I have the first book but haven't read it yet. It's just a regular book though so maybe you're talking about something else lol
When he first announced it, he said that the way it should be read was on his website and it would play music and flash video and truly immerse the reader in a multisensory world. There was like a recipe list to eat while reading the first book... it was very interesting and strange. When he first announced the series he said it wouldn't be in book form, so I was surprised when I saw the first book on shelves.

These look interesting! And yeah, I specified "recent" just because I often get recommendations for really popular nonfiction books that have been around for a while (Omnivore's Dilemma, The Man who Misstook his Wife for a Hat, Freakonomics, etc.). They're by no means ancient books or anything, they've just been around long enough that I've read them already. :)
Oooooh, forgot a great one, because I read it quite a couple of year ago. Still, based on the titles you mentioned, I bet you haven't read it (it's 3 years old): The Elements of Eloquence: How To Turn the Perfect English Phrase. It's about tricks of great writing (style), but it's written in a very humorous and engaging style. I didn't finish the one I borrowed on vacation, so I bought it myself just to finish it. Not only engaging, but it will improve your writing too. I think Amazon has a "look inside" feature to give you a peek at his writing style to see if you think you'd like it.