OT: Pre-Vet Bookworms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is based on the same community, if I remember correctly. It is the sequel to Giver, and takes place in the future (I think). I haven’t read it since middle school.

I had no idea there were more books in that series. I'll have to look into it (and reread the Giver) - loved that book when I read it in school.

Reactions: 2 users
It is based on the same community, if I remember correctly. It is the sequel to Giver, and takes place in the future (I think). I haven’t read it since middle school.

I had no idea there were more books in that series. I'll have to look into it (and reread the Giver) - loved that book when I read it in school.
I think there’s four total!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a long drive today so I started the audiobook of Something in the Water.

I’m feelin in it.

I just finished Sharp Objects. HOLY **** SO GOOD. Now I’m gonna start the show.

Are we goodreads friends? Because we should be.

I've never used it in a social aspect just to keep track of books lol.

Also, really liking Instapaper for anyone who wants to read news/articles on their kindle (or just to save articles/ the option to read in a nicer format on a web browser).

Started the second book in the Witcher series last week, just about done with it.

Reactions: 1 user
I was, at long last, able to take a break this summer from all the dense, philosophical tomes I've been reading for coursework, and that means: Jack London's Call of the Wild and White Fang. Man! What wonderful stories! I'm sure most people here have read them, but this was my first time!

Reactions: 1 users
I was, at long last, able to take a break this summer from all the dense, philosophical tomes I've been reading for coursework, and that means: Jack London's Call of the Wild and White Fang. Man! What wonderful stories! I'm sure most people here have read them, but this was my first time!
It's been soooo long (like, elementary school I'm pretty sure) but I loved those books

Just started reading Worm:

Gestation 1.1

My first foray into web serials. Was recommended to me by a close friend who has excellent taste in books (and by excellent, I mean very similar to mine) so we'll see if he's on point with this, too

Members don't see this ad :)
So several weeks ago while my husband was off doing work stuff, I was watching PBS and ended up watching a thing over the Great American Read.

Books | The Great American Read | PBS

Aaaaand then this happened...

ImageUploadedBySDN1533860396.680285.jpg

Most normal people don’t spend $300 in a single day on books. But yanno. The mailman was like, “Seriously?”

Reactions: 8 users
So several weeks ago while my husband was off doing work stuff, I was watching PBS and ended up watching a thing over the Great American Read.

Books | The Great American Read | PBS

Aaaaand then this happened...

Most normal people don’t spend $300 in a single day on books. But yanno. The mailman was like, “Seriously?”
You are my hero. :love:

I really recommend "We are all completely beside ourselves", especially for any lab animal people. The prof I did research with recommended it. I'm halfway through and I am really liking it.

I realized that I ordered the wrong version of The Alchemist and ended up with a crime/suspense type novel about drug lords and stuff rather than the correct one, so...

I ordered The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream (Coelho). The correct one.

I also ordered Life of Pi (Martel).
And In Cold Blood (Capote).
And The Time Traveler's Wife (Niffenegger).
And On the Road (Kerouac).
And Fahrenheit 451 (Bradbury).
And The Secret Life of Bees (Kidd).
And the first book in the Wrinkle of Time series (L'Engle).

BUT

I only spent $17.63, including shipping and tax.

So.

Reactions: 2 users
Are there any authors you guys collect? I have a little Bill Wallace collection. I always check for him when I visit thrift stores or used book stores. He was my favorite author in grade school so it's mostly a nostalgia thing, but he's also a damn good children's author. I'm still upset that my sister got to meet him and I didn't.

I'm up to 10 Terry Pratchett novels now (was it @vetmedhead and @PippyPony who were recommending him earlier this summer?) so that's turning into a collection, too.

Are there any authors you guys collect? I have a little Bill Wallace collection. I always check for him when I visit thrift stores or used book stores. He was my favorite author in grade school so it's mostly a nostalgia thing, but he's also a damn good children's author. I'm still upset that my sister got to meet him and I didn't.

I'm up to 10 Terry Pratchett novels now (was it @vetmedhead and @PippyPony who were recommending him earlier this summer?) so that's turning into a collection, too.
My Stephen King collection is extensive. Michael Crichton is a close second. The hubz collects Brandon Sanderson (actually most of the Michael Crichton is his too, I've read all the books but they were from the library).

Anne McCaffrey and Sheri Tepper are my biggest collections based on author. Good old sci fi/fantasy :D Though to be fair, I think my childhood Animorphs collection may rival those...

I have a huge Chuck Palahniuk collection. My dad started it for me after I wrote my big HS junior literary paper on him. He has gotten all of the books at Goodwill.

Also, my bio prof renamed her greyhound Pratchett when she adopted him

YES YES YES

I don't hoard many authors. I believe my main collections are of Pratchett, Vonnegut, and Philip Roth books. There's more if you include graphic novels and comic strip collections though

Pratchett, some L.E. Modesitt Jr. (I like the Imager series, but am far behind at this point), some Mercedes Lackey (I like the Obsidian trilogy and Five Hundred Kingdoms). I'm starting an ebook one for Claire North.

Ann McCaffrey, Mercedes Lackey, Iris Johannsen, Faye Kellerman, Piers Anthony, Spider Robinson, Wen Spencer. Marion Spencer Bradley. I probably need to post a picture of my book cases...

City library had a buy-a-box sale today. Show up, ask about a genre, and buy a box of books. They had one box of sci-fi paperbacks left for a little more than I was expecting, but I went with it to support the library and for the fun of a blind book date.

a16e526ec59c4c706d95a3eeca44e2dd.jpg

1ca5a8b631e1a834d9ec6bd42751a36b.jpg

Way, way more books than I was expecting. (Second picture is of the same box, but with book outside to show scale).

Reactions: 4 users
Kudos to the library staff and volunteers for organizing these boxes, though. There were a lot fewer second-in-series books missing their prequels than I was expecting, and some books I'm excited about mixed with the assorted one-off 80s fantasy and science fiction novels..

Notable finds (besides what was on top):
  • 4 books by James White (2 in the Sector General series, 1 short story collection, 1 other novel)
  • 1 Stephen King book (Rose Madder)
  • 1 book by Robin McKinley,
  • I book by Charles de Lint,
  • 2 books by Carl Sagan (Contact and Broca's Brain),
  • First eight Sookie Stackhouse mysteries.

Other interesting things:
  • 16 books in the Ashes series by William W Johnstone. Never heard of it, but get to try it now since this had books 1-7 (also 9, 11, 13, 15, 21, 23-26, 28)
  • All 18 books in the Horseclans series by Robert Adams (hadn't heard of that either)
  • Stories from the lands of "Einarinn" and "Eileanan" (completely unrelated works)

Vivian Vande Velde is such a great name. :cool: I haven't read that book, but I like some of her others.

That looks like a lot of fun, Glam! I want to go out and buy a mystery box of books now.

Has anyone read the Stephen King book “Sleeping Beauties”? I saw it at the airport today and was intrigued.

Has anyone read the Stephen King book “Sleeping Beauties”? I saw it at the airport today and was intrigued.
I think that's one I have at home (I'm currently visiting family) and haven't gotten around to reading yet...neat cover though, right? I'm excited to read it once the semester is over.

Ok, I have talked about my bookshelves, wanted to share a picture, (finally). Please ignore the exercise equipment. and the fact that it is missing about a foot on the right side. :) My hubby is excited because I finally got everything single shelved!

Attachments

• 20181123_141627.jpg
    20181123_141627.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: 3 users