You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
OT: Pre-Vet Bookworms
Started by xTineTH
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Bump for the bookworms 😉
Thank you!Bump for the bookworms 😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Reading Anne of Green gables out loud as a family right now
Prime day deals tempted me to finally give in to my curiosity. I'll always keep a full bookshelf, but my new Kindle Paperwhite is on its way.
Ooooo I love minePrime day deals tempted me to finally give in to my curiosity. I'll always keep a full bookshelf, but my new Kindle Paperwhite is on its way.
Ooooo I love mine
I mean the reviews are all pretty stellar, hard to argue with that. There's a number of perks with the ebook I think will be good, not the least of which is to use Instapaper or something similar to send my news to kindle for more enjoyable reading. I'm a big fan of good journalism (pretty avid reader of The Atlantic and The New Yorker).
I love doing this with my bf! And my parents always had family reading night!! 😀Reading Anne of Green gables out loud as a family right now
I was in the play in middle school. I was Anne with an “e”.Reading Anne of Green gables out loud as a family right now
That’s when I peaked.
My Kindle is basically a travel device. It's pretty geriatric at this point, but I basically pull it out when I'm on a plane and don't want to carry several books (I read fast) and want a wifi enabled device to spare my phone. It works fantastically for that purpose. I buy legit books otherwise because we have a crapton of book shelf space lol.
I've been catching up on a bunch of previously purchased books recently... finally got around to reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," which I know I'm like a decade behind on; suuuuppper good and I'm gonna pick up the rest on used book store trips soon.
Then I finished an amusing and self deprecating collection of essays called, "We Are Never Meeting in Real Life" that actually was written by a vet office receptionist. I didn't realize that when I bought it but there was a cat on the cover so I was lured in appropriately.
I'm working on a book called "Suffering Succotash" now, which is about a picky eater who is working her way through her pickiness and generally researching food and taste. Non fiction. I'm only like fifty pages in but so far 👍.
I've been catching up on a bunch of previously purchased books recently... finally got around to reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," which I know I'm like a decade behind on; suuuuppper good and I'm gonna pick up the rest on used book store trips soon.
Then I finished an amusing and self deprecating collection of essays called, "We Are Never Meeting in Real Life" that actually was written by a vet office receptionist. I didn't realize that when I bought it but there was a cat on the cover so I was lured in appropriately.

I'm working on a book called "Suffering Succotash" now, which is about a picky eater who is working her way through her pickiness and generally researching food and taste. Non fiction. I'm only like fifty pages in but so far 👍.
Ive never been a big reader but have been out of school for long enough that I'm trying to pick it up so I dont lose my smarts haha
#1 is From Sand and Ash about a Jewish family in Italy during WWII and just before it.
I'll probably take forever to finish it but I'm trying
#1 is From Sand and Ash about a Jewish family in Italy during WWII and just before it.
I'll probably take forever to finish it but I'm trying
I buy legit books otherwise because we have a crapton of book shelf space lol.
.
Please, I need to borrow some of your space! I am still partially double shelved! of course, my hubby is muttering about selling some of my books behind my back...he doesn't understand. let me explain my bookcases: I have two "normal" sized bookcases, full. but only "single" shelved. One smaller (used to be a dvd case, I think) that has 4 shelves, all single shelved. Then I have the handmade one, that is about 8 feet long, 6 feet tall. It has 5 shelves, and is double shelved on two of the shelves. (by single I mean only one book deep, double is two deep) I have at any given time 2-3 books on my nightstand, and 5-8 in the rack in the master bath by the tub. And never mind the fact that I have to delete books off of my kindle fire, as there were just too many on there, and I was running out of memory.
Does it mean anything when I realize that I have 3 shelves of Anne McCaffrey, 1 of Piers Anthony, and 2 of Mercedes Lackey???
supershorty
Don't look so vexed, toots.
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Ive never been a big reader but have been out of school for long enough that I'm trying to pick it up so I dont lose my smarts haha
#1 is From Sand and Ash about a Jewish family in Italy during WWII and just before it.
I'll probably take forever to finish it but I'm trying
I read this earlier this summer and really enjoyed it.
I'm currently reading Into the Gray Zone, which is really interesting and talks about the studies that have been done regarding consciousness of people in a vegetative state.
I've been catching up on a bunch of previously purchased books recently... finally got around to reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," which I know I'm like a decade behind on; suuuuppper good and I'm gonna pick up the rest on used book store trips soon.
A friend gave that one to me and I’ve had it lying around for years. I’ve put off seeing the movie(s?) because I want to read the book first, but never got around to reading it. Sigh.
I haven’t seen this book mentioned but my friend gave it to me two years ago to read and I had to read as many sequels as I can get my hands on. (They’re “banned” here or something). There are four books in the series with two alternate ending books, I’ve only read the first two. But it’s called Naughts and Crosses. Ugh it’s just wonderful I love it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why is it banned? Are banned books even a thing anymore?I haven’t seen this book mentioned but my friend gave it to me two years ago to read and I had to read as many sequels as I can get my hands on. (They’re “banned” here or something). There are four books in the series with two alternate ending books, I’ve only read the first two. But it’s called Naughts and Crosses. Ugh it’s just wonderful I love it.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Ah I read that one in my dystopian book club in undergrad. If I recall I actually wasn't a big fan of that one...it's the only one of the books we read that I didn't keep. I don't remember why I didn't like it much though lolI haven’t seen this book mentioned but my friend gave it to me two years ago to read and I had to read as many sequels as I can get my hands on. (They’re “banned” here or something). There are four books in the series with two alternate ending books, I’ve only read the first two. But it’s called Naughts and Crosses. Ugh it’s just wonderful I love it.
I’m not sure completely my friend told me it was who knew more about the books but it doesn’t pop up on a lot of book websites, it comes up on UK Amazon. But it was originally published in the UK and it’s a role reversal in a sense, so instead of white people being the dominant race it’s flipped in the book. But you don’t know that if someone just hands you the book you almost insert your own normal from the history of white people being the dominant race. I honestly don’t know why it’s banned minus the subject matter isn’t super accepted or maybe graphic scenes I can’t remember how many there are.Why is it banned? Are banned books even a thing anymore?
That book club sounds like heaven. I love dystopian books. I have trouble finding decent ones that aren't blatantly trying to copy Hunger Games, tho. I really enjoy ones that are thought experiments.Ah I read that one in my dystopian book club in undergrad.
Not really dystopian, but I read one recently called "The One" that was in a world where you could find your true soulmate in a facebook-type service. But some people's soulmates are of the same sex, even though they are straight. Some are terminally ill. Some married couples take it and then end up with someone else. It was a really interesting concept!
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Kind of reminds me of an episode of Black MirrorThat book club sounds like heaven. I love dystopian books. I have trouble finding decent ones that aren't blatantly trying to copy Hunger Games, tho. I really enjoy ones that are thought experiments.
Not really dystopian, but I read one recently called "The One" that was in a world where you could find your true soulmate in a facebook-type service. But some people's soulmates are of the same sex, even though they are straight. Some are terminally ill. Some married couples take it and then end up with someone else. It was a really interesting concept!
My dystopian books get their own shelf (ignore House of Leaves, it's just there because I love it)
Did you see that Mark Z wrote and sold a script to make it into a TV series?(ignore House of Leaves, it's just there because I love it)
![]()
I am way excited, but also worried it won't come across correctly.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oh man. That could either be really awesome or really, really terrible.Did you see that Mark Z wrote and sold a script to make it into a TV series?
I am way excited, but also worried it won't come across correctly.
He sounds excited about it. He wrote the first script and refused to sell it when they wouldn't let him be in charge of the creative direction. I think this time, he still isn't getting full control, but the person came to him and asked advice and he gets final say. He said it looks good so far. (Not shooting yet, I think, just scripting and storyboarding.)Oh man. That could either be really awesome or really, really terrible.
Unfortunately, yes 🙁Why is it banned? Are banned books even a thing anymore?
List of most commonly challenged books in the United States - Wikipedia
Banned Books That Shaped America
But I’ve read many of those books. I’m confus
Challenged books (which some of the books on the second list are) aren’t banned but they’re ones people want banned. And then banned books once were widely availableBut I’ve read many of those books. I’m confus![]()
That book club sounds like heaven. I love dystopian books. I have trouble finding decent ones that aren't blatantly trying to copy Hunger Games, tho. I really enjoy ones that are thought experiments.
Not really dystopian, but I read one recently called "The One" that was in a world where you could find your true soulmate in a facebook-type service. But some people's soulmates are of the same sex, even though they are straight. Some are terminally ill. Some married couples take it and then end up with someone else. It was a really interesting concept!
I love dystopian fiction! Fahrenheit 451 and the Handmaid's Tale are probably my all-time favorites. I loved the Giver too!
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Somehow I am currently partway through 8 books...
Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
The Fellowship of the Ring - Tolkein (this is a reread of course)
Cat's Cradle - Vonnegut
Swan Song - Robert R. McCammon
Mossflower - Brian Jacques
Dune - Frank Herbert (my current audiobook)
Dangerous Girls - Abigail Haas
The Regulars - Georgia Clark
I need to clean up my reading life
Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
The Fellowship of the Ring - Tolkein (this is a reread of course)
Cat's Cradle - Vonnegut
Swan Song - Robert R. McCammon
Mossflower - Brian Jacques
Dune - Frank Herbert (my current audiobook)
Dangerous Girls - Abigail Haas
The Regulars - Georgia Clark
I need to clean up my reading life

WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oh I looove American Gods 😍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey @WildZoo have you read Gathering Blue? (Also by Lois Lowry)
I enjoyed that one a lot.
Next book on my list to read is Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
I enjoyed that one a lot.
Next book on my list to read is Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I haven't! Is it dystopian as well?Hey @WildZoo have you read Gathering Blue? (Also by Lois Lowry)
I enjoyed that one a lot.
Next book on my list to read is Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
If you guys are interested in dystopian, you should read The Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness! It's amazing!
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I somehow never got around to reading Brave New World. It's been on my list forever.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Yes 😍 ran a WW game based on it a couple years ago!It’s been so long since I’ve read it but the His Dark Materials trilogy (the Golden Compass is book 1) really had me hooked way back in the day. I may go back and read it again.
If you liked 1984 you should read it. George Orwell and Aldous Huxley were actually friends and writing their books at the same time. During the drafting process they wrote letters back and forth of their ideas for their dystopian societies so you’ll see some similarities.I somehow never got around to reading Brave New World. It's been on my list forever.
Blame that on google AdSenseps SDN is creepy
View attachment 237552
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Gotta love that sweet sweet ~donor status~
That’s the real reason you became a donor isn’t itGotta love that sweet sweet ~donor status~
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Actually it was for the giant PM groups. But no ads is definitely #2.That’s the real reason you became a donor isn’t it
You can also get rid of ads for $1/year I just don’t feel like wasting a dollar to get rid of the adsActually it was for the giant PM groups. But no ads is definitely #2.

It is based on the same community, if I remember correctly. It is the sequel to Giver, and takes place in the future (I think). I haven’t read it since middle school.I haven't! Is it dystopian as well?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If y'all like dystopian check out We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. It's an OG dystopian novel
If y'all like dystopian check out We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. It's an OG dystopian novel
Intrigued. Added to my goodreads
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Are we goodreads friends? Because we should be.Intrigued. Added to my goodreads
I'm anxiously waiting...It’s been so long since I’ve read it but the His Dark Materials trilogy (the Golden Compass is book 1) really had me hooked way back in the day. I may go back and read it again.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 2K