OT: San Diego places to stay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTSouthwestern

1K Member
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here can recommend a good hotel/rental place for a family vacation in San Diego, preferably on the beach. Cost is not an issue and I want a really nice place to stay there.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if anyone here can recommend a good hotel/rental place for a family vacation in San Diego, preferably on the beach. Cost is not an issue and I want a really nice place to stay there.

Thanks

Hotel del Coronado.

Directly on the beach, historic, live music on the deck in the evening. Frikkin awesome.

OR, LOEWS SAN DIEGO. I stayed at Loews South Beach. We're going back.

Google 'em.

WARNING, UT!!!! WARNING!!!!!

IF YOU GO TO SAN DIEGO YOU MAY NOT WANT TO GO HOME.

Enjoy.

Hey Jet, (sorry UT I have nothing for you here)
Where did you stay in South Beach this last time?
I forgot to mention that one of the guys in the other group heliskiing in Alaska was the owner of the Clevelander on South Beach. Really cool guy and really rich as well. His group actually picked up some of our heli tab.:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Jet,
Where did you stay in South Beach this last time?
I forgot to mention that one of the guys in the other group heliskiing in Alaska was the owner of the Clevelander on South Beach.

We stayed at Loew's, Mikey.

It was awesome.

We'll definitely return.

BUT....UHHHHH....YOU HUNG OUT WITH THE OWNER OF THE CLEVELANDER?

:eek::eek:

Lemme give you a little perspective about South Beach, Noy.

Its an awesome place, of course.

Theres some iconic places there.

THE CLEVELANDER IS WANNA THOSE ICONIC PLACES.

You hung out with a ROKKSTAR!!!!

Did you get him to sign your shirt?:lol::lol:

Thanks

There are some pretty nice hotels in Pacific Beach, right on the sand. It's a college/young crowd a lot of the time in that neighborhood, so that may not be what you're looking for, but the beach lifestyle is in full effect.

There are some pretty nice hotels in Pacific Beach, right on the sand. It's a college/young crowd a lot of the time in that neighborhood, so that may not be what you're looking for, but the beach lifestyle is in full effect.

Probably not good to have the college crowd type hotel.

So Loews San Diego and del Coronado. Any other suggestions before I book it?

You gotta hit the Gaslamp District while there. Go early, though, to avoid the drunk kiddies (unless you're into that). Also, if you have time, drive up to Cardiff By The Sea/Encinatas/Carlsbad for a day trip. Beautiful, secluded beaches there. It is an emergent coastline, and some of the most beautiful beachfront you'll see. There's a great fish taco place (can't remember the name) that is right by highway 101. It overlooks the sea. Great place for a late afternoon snack.

Like I said before: Nice place to visit; wouldn't want to live there. ;)

-copro

Members don't see this ad :)
Lloyd: "So, why are you going the airport? Flying somewhere?"

Mary: "Yeah, how'd you guess?"

Lloyd: "Well, I saw the ticket and your bag, and put two-and-two together. So, where you headed?"

Mary: "Aspen."

Lloyd: "Mmmm.... California. Nice!"

:laugh:

-copro

don't forget to visit seaport village. romantic spot for the mrs./gf.:thumbup: and some nice places to eat.

Hotel Del is a safebet for a great SD hotel. Remember though, its on Coronado Island, so you have a little commute back to the city. Coronado island is nice though by itself. Also, at Hotel Del, ask to stay in the famous "Haunted room", see if the let you. It's been on all the mystery channels.

Oh, and stay classy san diego.

Hotel Del is a safebet for a great SD hotel. Remember though, its on Coronado Island, so you have a little commute back to the city. Coronado island is nice though by itself. Also, at Hotel Del, ask to stay in the famous "Haunted room", see if the let you. It's been on all the mystery channels.

Oh, and stay classy san diego.
If you get lucky you can watch the seals do the rock portage in front of the hotel.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Juanita's in Encinata.

But, Juanita's ain't overlooking the ocean like Copro said. Maybe there's another Juanita's other than the one in Leucadia on the west side of PCH?

(by the way if you do find the Juanita's in Leucadia you are 1/4 mile from Grandview beach which is one of my all-time favorites)

If you get lucky you can watch the seals do the rock portage in front of the hotel.

David Carpenter, PA-C

As in Navy SEALS, whose basic qualification course is right down the Silver Strand from Hotel del Coronado . The obstacle course is between the highway and the ocean, and isn't fenced off. They also frequently run on the beach. http://www.mediacen.navy.mil/PUBS/allhands/apr01/pg24.htm Scroll down the link and on the left column you'll see a photo of SEAL trainees doing the rock portage right in front of the hotel.

North Coast Village in Oceanside which is just about 20 miles north of San Diego. The place is incredible especially for families. The condo complex sits right on the beach in between the Oceanside Pier and Harbor. There is a great pool for the kids, a putting green and a nice break right out front if you're into surfing. There are 1 or 2 bedroom condos, most have amazing ocean views and some open up right to the sand. I just got a smoking deal on a 1 bedroom place ~150 night. We've been staying there for about 5 years and never been disappointed.

www.northcoastvillage.com

i have travelled extensively with my family to San Diego which includes 3 under the age of 5. The hotel del is nice and is beachfront. However, you will find that the rooms are very, very small. Many are 200-350 sq ft which is NOT ideal for a family. If you have decided that Coronado is your location, I would recommend the new beach village part of the hotel. They will give you much more space and have full kitchens, etc. Try to reserve quickly because there are not a lot of them and they tend to fill fast. You did say that money is no object which is good because they will run you 800-1000 per night.

There are other beach options with families:

1) Someone mentioned pacific beach. It has more of a college crowd. Pacific Terrace frequently gets very high marks on trip advisor. Tower 23 is another good beach option. Research pacific beach to see if it is right for your family.

2) L-auberge del mar (in Del Mar) is another good option. It is beachfront. However, it is undergoing renovations in to the summer (i dont know when you are travelling).

3) If you are willing to be in Dana Point, the ritz carlton laguna niguel is a fabulous beachfront property.

Other great properties off the beach

1) I think that the rancho santa fe in rancho valencia is the number one property in san diego. Rooms are 700-1100 square feet providing plenty of space for your family. There is a nice pool, worldclass tennis, and a spa. You would however need to drive to the beach. They have a 3 bedroom hacienda which is a 5000 sq ft area with a private pool (totally awesome). It will however run you 3000-5000 per night.

2) Four seasons Aviara in Carlsbad is another great property. It is actually only 10 minutes from the beach. There is a shuttle which runs to the beach from 7am-5pm. Absolutely gorgeous property with a lot of kids programs.

3) Finally there are many good options in La Jolla. The three that stand out are the LaValencia, Hotel Parisi, and Grande Colonial. LaValencia is the most well known, but the rooms are outdated and small. The pool is awesome. Hotel Parisi has Parisi apartments for families. You can request number 35 and 36 which would give you about 2500 sq ft for about 700 per night (i think that this is a steal). Full kitchen, large balconies and flat screen TVs. You would be located in a great part of town. Bad points would be that there is no pool or restaurant (even though the hotel will deliver from any restaurant that you choose. The Grande Colonial is expanded its villas which are very nice and many have oceanfront views.

4) Downtown, I would recommend the Westgate, W, or US Grant.

5) Grand del mar is a new hotel in del mar. I have not had the pleasure of staying their but the pictures on the website look very nice.

My family and I travel to SanDiego/LA/orange county 4-5 times per year (we are actually going for Memorial Day). I will retire in southern california one day. I just want to make sure that I have enough money so that I dont have to work in that paradise. I have stayed in all of these places. I would really rank the hotel del in the middle of the pack. If it is very important for you to be on the beach, I would consider it especially if I could get into the beach cottages. PM me if you have further questions.

i have travelled extensively with my family to San Diego which includes 3 under the age of 5. The hotel del is nice and is beachfront. However, you will find that the rooms are very, very small. Many are 200-350 sq ft which is NOT ideal for a family. If you have decided that Coronado is your location, I would recommend the new beach village part of the hotel. They will give you much more space and have full kitchens, etc. Try to reserve quickly because there are not a lot of them and they tend to fill fast. You did say that money is no object which is good because they will run you 800-1000 per night.

There are other beach options with families:

1) Someone mentioned pacific beach. It has more of a college crowd. Pacific Terrace frequently gets very high marks on trip advisor. Tower 23 is another good beach option. Research pacific beach to see if it is right for your family.

2) L-auberge del mar (in Del Mar) is another good option. It is beachfront. However, it is undergoing renovations in to the summer (i dont know when you are travelling).

3) If you are willing to be in Dana Point, the ritz carlton laguna niguel is a fabulous beachfront property.

Other great properties off the beach

1) I think that the rancho santa fe in rancho valencia is the number one property in san diego. Rooms are 700-1100 square feet providing plenty of space for your family. There is a nice pool, worldclass tennis, and a spa. You would however need to drive to the beach. They have a 3 bedroom hacienda which is a 5000 sq ft area with a private pool (totally awesome). It will however run you 3000-5000 per night.

2) Four seasons Aviara in Carlsbad is another great property. It is actually only 10 minutes from the beach. There is a shuttle which runs to the beach from 7am-5pm. Absolutely gorgeous property with a lot of kids programs.

3) Finally there are many good options in La Jolla. The three that stand out are the LaValencia, Hotel Parisi, and Grande Colonial. LaValencia is the most well known, but the rooms are outdated and small. The pool is awesome. Hotel Parisi has Parisi apartments for families. You can request number 35 and 36 which would give you about 2500 sq ft for about 700 per night (i think that this is a steal). Full kitchen, large balconies and flat screen TVs. You would be located in a great part of town. Bad points would be that there is no pool or restaurant (even though the hotel will deliver from any restaurant that you choose. The Grande Colonial is expanded its villas which are very nice and many have oceanfront views.

4) Downtown, I would recommend the Westgate, W, or US Grant.

5) Grand del mar is a new hotel in del mar. I have not had the pleasure of staying their but the pictures on the website look very nice.

My family and I travel to SanDiego/LA/orange county 4-5 times per year (we are actually going for Memorial Day). I will retire in southern california one day. I just want to make sure that I have enough money so that I dont have to work in that paradise. I have stayed in all of these places. I would really rank the hotel del in the middle of the pack. If it is very important for you to be on the beach, I would consider it especially if I could get into the beach cottages. PM me if you have further questions.

After Living in San Diego for some time, I concur with the above. I have been to the majority of said places, and your really can't go wrong with most of them. It all depends on what you are trying to get outta the vacation.