OT: Something you want to learn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackangussteak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It can be something you want to learn but probably never will, something you are looking forward to learning, something you want to continue learning, etc.

For me, I want to learn how to garden. Growing and nurturing takes patience (which I don't have) and the ultimate result can be extremely rewarding, although I haven't even tried planting anything. I also want to learn to play the piano. Such a beautiful instrument. Many people have taken lessons or taught themselves how to play but I never had the chance or motivation. To make such wonderful sounds that come straight from the heart (or the sheet music).

My examples may seem so simple to another who has been playing the piano for 15 years or has an excellent green thumb. It's easy to overlook the things you know when it seems ordinary but the simple things are important.

So, what do you want to learn?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to continue learning how to do home repairs myself. It started in my first apartment as an avoidance of the creepy maintenance guy, and now that I own a home, it's extremely satisfying to fix something and know that I'm the one that made it work! (not to mention the money you save in doing so.)

Oh, and I feel your pain on the gardening. We have running jokes about my ability to kill plants.....

I would love to learn carpentry someday, and learn how to build furniture.

And I want to continue learning how to cook, and how different ingredients can work together. And I want to learn how to cook new things instead of different variations of the same things :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to learn carpentry someday, and learn how to build furniture.

A friend of mines father can make the most beautiful furniture, some serious talent that takes serious effort. It would be wonderful to be able to make something that you can enjoy more than a few times, and it would make great gifts.

I want to learn how to play the piano like Ben Folds. Hah! That probably falls in the 'never will' category, right alongside learning all those neat foreign languages...

I played the cello as a kid and someday I WILL pick it up again. I also played the snare drum in high school and would love to do something with that again someday.

I want to be completely fluent in Spanish.. it's a bit hard when I can't get myself to practice and am losing it very quickly. Other languages would be awesome too.

Cello because Yo-Yo Ma is amazing.

Knitting because I currently live in Scotland.

Ceilidh because I currently live in Scotland. :D I've got to let my foot heal first to where I can walk sans pain before I start stomping around though. :rolleyes:

Jujitsu

Skydiving

I'd love to learn to play like "Harry the Piano" (You Tube him). I can only play sheets and memorize them with no improv, rewrites, etc. This guy takes requests of any song and will play it in any style you ask for. It's amazing and awesome to say the least. I'd also like to learn how to play jazz or pop songs. 18, almost 19 years and I've never played a single jazz song, nor any pop songs that are worth remembering. I've done lots of classical, new age, and video game stuff. :love:

TT.. This will probably sound like a stupid question, but who is Ben Folds?

I'm on my way to learning piano and guitar, but I know I'll probably never reach the level of proficiency I want to...

I also want to learn how to make pasta from scratch! Especially stuffed pasta... I dream of making lobster and shrimp stuffed tortelli from scratch :)

TT.. This will probably sound like a stupid question, but who is Ben Folds?
He's an amazing piano player. So, so good in concert. Youtube him. :) He was part of Ben Folds Five, you've probably heard their song Brick.
...though I'm not TT, sorry! :D

I would love to learn to play the violin, and learn how to speak Italian. I would also like to learn how to do glass blowing. I seriously doubt I will have any time to learn this now, but hopefully 10 years from now :)

Chii chan - here!!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N66naM_qlc8[/YOUTUBE]

One of my favorite songs. I get to see him live in February!!

ETA: He's got a great sense of humor too... watch long enough and he says, "So come pick me up... mother****er." Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd love to learn how to ride horses. I took a few lessons when I was younger, but had to stop even though I loved it and was obsessed with horses as a kid.

I need to learn to speak Japanese. I've been trying for years and can manage a few phrases, but I never have the time to do it thoroughly. And I want to learn the violin. I inherited my grandpa's fiddle, and it would be such a waste for it to not be played.

Chii chan - here!!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N66naM_qlc8[/YOUTUBE]

One of my favorite songs. I get to see him live in February!!

ETA: He's got a great sense of humor too... watch long enough and he says, "So come pick me up... mother****er." Haha.
Nice! I guess also wouldn't mind being able to play and sing at the same time like that! :thumbup:

Or to write songs from scratch - that impresses me - and he can really pound out some crazy ****. His is probably the only cover of Tiny Dancer I will ever tolerate. He plays well.

Or to write songs from scratch - that impresses me - and he can really pound out some crazy ****.

If you see him in concert, it's truly hysterical. I really enjoyed seeing him live a few years back!

As for me, I'd like to learn to ride horses (I have virtually no experience with them). Also, I would love to learn a foreign language (probably either Spanish or German) more thoroughly than what I learned in high school.

I'd love to learn sign language.

I would love to learn how to fly (air planes that is).

I keep telling myself that one day I will do this. The last clinic I worked at had atleast 10 signing clients that came in on a regular basis. I always felt a little bad making them have written conversations....

I only took one class in undergrad, but I LOVED it! Ironically, it was the hardest class of my entire undergrad career and I got the lowest grade I've gotten in a class ever (B-, I am a nerd). But it was SOOO worth it because it completely changed the way I communicate with people! So much more to it than just the signs :)

I'd love to learn how to ride horses. I took a few lessons when I was younger, but had to stop even though I loved it and was obsessed with horses as a kid.

Me too! I've always lived in a city and so the closest I got to a horse was a pony ride at a fair :thumbdown:. The first time I will really interact with a horse will be vet school and I am puuuumped :D

I would like to learn how to be less tough on myself.

And being fluent in Spanish would be cool too!

I'd like to learn how to play the guitar. My dad got one for me a long time ago, and it's been sitting neglected in a corner for almost as long.

I'd like to learn how to play the guitar. My dad got one for me a long time ago, and it's been sitting neglected in a corner for almost as long.

I went through a serious guitar phase in high school. My grandma got me a Fender Strat for Christmas and my mom got me a "Learn to Play Guitar" book and CD set and I have hardly touched them since. I should change that!

I want to learn how to speak Spanish fluently. I would also like to learn Irish and sign language.

I would love to learn how to play the bagpipes. I have tried it once and was told if you are able to even get noise to come out of it then you are doing good. I got noise out of it, but it sure was difficult.

I want to learn how to do basic repairs on my car! I don't know what half the things are, and I'd love to save $30 and do my own oil changes!

I also want to relearn French and Italian. I can still read it pretty well, understand it decently, but for some reason when the words tumble out of my own mouth, the natives look at me like I'm speaking german or something!

How to shoot a bow.

Sign language (which I'm working on, kinda; taking a non-credit class at my school since they don't offer credit courses).

And re-learn Spanish. Not that I was ever fluent, but I can barely remember any of it these days.

The latter two I will probably work on in the next year or two, after I graduate from undergrad and before I (hopefully) get into vet school. But I dunno what to do, really, about the first. XD I probably have a whole list of other things that I wanna learn, but I dunno where I put it.

I want to learn how to do basic repairs on my car! I don't know what half the things are, and I'd love to save $30 and do my own oil changes!

You know, it costs about $5 more to have it done than it does to buy the oil and filter to do it yourself. My husband knows what every part of a car does (haha) and he still takes it to be done somewhere. So don't feel too bad.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: I'd like to learn how to get into a vet school (without a time machine or a million dollars). :rolleyes:

I went through a serious guitar phase in high school. My grandma got me a Fender Strat for Christmas and my mom got me a "Learn to Play Guitar" book and CD set and I have hardly touched them since. I should change that!

I'd like to learn how to make dreadlocks so I can make them on EllieG when she becomes a total hippy.

I'd like to learn how to make dreadlocks so I can make them on EllieG when she becomes a total hippy.

:laugh:

So far, I haven't heard anyone mention that they want to learn snowboarding or skiing. I've met a ton of people who never have.

So far, I haven't heard anyone mention that they want to learn snowboarding or skiing. I've met a ton of people who never have.

You know, I was just telling my SO I wanted to try it a few weeks ago, and I didn't even think to put it on here. I've never done either so it would be quite an adventure...

I want to continue learning how to do home repairs myself. It started in my first apartment as an avoidance of the creepy maintenance guy, and now that I own a home, it's extremely satisfying to fix something and know that I'm the one that made it work! (not to mention the money you save in doing so.)

Mad props to anyone that does this. Bought my first house nearly 3 years ago and have done so many repairs (installed drywall, installed flooring, tiled the bathroom floors, became my own Maytag repair person....)... I actually get kind of excited for the challenge to learn something new when something breaks. Not really 'normal'.... then again I've always been a bit odd.... C'mon... I was the only girl in my 4-H welding club....

Things on my "I'd love to learn how to" list....
-Quilting
-Spinning yarn
-Horseback riding
-Woodworking

I want to learn to swing dance! I also want to learn Italian - I look classes in high school, but have forgotten most of it.

I've never been skiing or snowboarding...but honestly I'm not sure I want to! :laugh: Someday - my boyfriend is from Denver, so I think it'll be unavoidable.

Mad props to anyone that does this. Bought my first house nearly 3 years ago and have done so many repairs (installed drywall, installed flooring, tiled the bathroom floors, became my own Maytag repair person....)... I actually get kind of excited for the challenge to learn something new when something breaks. Not really 'normal'.... then again I've always been a bit odd.... C'mon... I was the only girl in my 4-H welding club....

Things on my "I'd love to learn how to" list....
-Quilting
-Spinning yarn
-Horseback riding
-Woodworking

Quilting is a heck of a lot of fun too. :) I love to quilt, but don't do it often because of cost and the fact that I already have at least 10 blankets/quilts in my house....

I was uber excited about fixing the florescent light ballast that's been busted in my kitchen for over a year. It was my first electrical fix, and was "brag to mom" worthy. ><

Oh you think you're real funny, don't you?

I'll have you know that I was NOT a hippie in high school but was in fact a MUCH cooler punk. Yep. Bondage pants, black straight hair, far too much eyeliner, and bracelets from my wrists practically to my elbows.

Dear God.

I had dark red hair (short) and wore cat ears to school. oO;

And I read Stephen King novels all day.

Just sharing! Perhaps we were all a little weird back in high school? Lol.

I love Stephen King!!! I'm reading Thinner now and I just ordered It from Barnes and Noble even though I'm terrified of clowns.

Just sharing! Perhaps we were all a little weird back in high school? Lol.

Was anyone not weird in high school? The weird kids always turned out the best ANYWAYS.
Wore blue nail polish, and WAS a hippie in high school! :laugh:

Anyone want to learn how to bake homemade bread (and have it taste good too)? Learn how to navigate through big cities without a map? Learn how to make your own clothes? Learn how to iron clothes? Paint a landscape? Learn the names of flowers so you could identify them? Learn about cars, regardless of your gender? Learn to say a certain phrase in as many languages as possible (ex. I love you)?

After reading through these posts, I've noticed tons of things I want to do. So although I don't necessarily want to learn all the things mentioned above, it's a good idea to have people think of more things. :)

Anyone want to learn how to bake homemade bread (and have it taste good too)? Learn how to navigate through big cities without a map? Learn how to make your own clothes? Learn how to iron clothes? Paint a landscape? Learn the names of flowers so you could identify them? Learn about cars, regardless of your gender? Learn to say a certain phrase in as many languages as possible (ex. I love you)?

After reading through these posts, I've noticed tons of things I want to do. So although I don't necessarily want to learn all the things mentioned above, it's a good idea to have people think of more things. :)

Do I have to not get lost in the process of navigating large cities with no map? If getting lost in the process is allowed, I'm already moderately good at this one...I might just not get there when I had planned to.

A little late to this thread, so a quick shout out to TT with a :hijacked::
Landed has been stuck in my head since yesterday. LOVE that song and thus have been revisiting the Ben Folds archives all the way back to him and the 5. Get that Angry Dwarf and rock! He amazes me with his ability to make the mundane sounds brilliant. Take the first verse of Still Fighting It...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqPwR39VMh0&feature=channel

My mom's been begging me to pick up the piano again (she got a little scared when I said I was thinking about buying a new drum kit to replace the one I sold years ago), and his music is giving me an incentive.

OK then, moving on to what I would like to learn...

The two things I would most like to learn are to ride a motorcycle and sail a boat. They'll both happen, someday...

I'd be ecstatic to have been the reason someone got hooked on Ben - he's an awesome player *and* he's hilarious. Definitely a real person writing real songs about real stuff.

Have to admit that I haven't checked out this mysterious Ben yet. Getting intrigued now.

I'd be ecstatic to have been the reason someone got hooked on Ben - he's an awesome player *and* he's hilarious. Definitely a real person writing real songs about real stuff.

Well, you can certainly feel good for bringing him back to my music forefront for the time being. :) I tend to go through phases; and went through a Ben Folds phase back in grad school and shortly thereafter. Today I revisited such classics as 'B*%@ ain't %*@&' and enjoyed myself throughly! He's a wonderful music geek along with being, like you said, a 'real person'. I had the opportunity to move to Nashville not too long ago and occasionally kick myself because I know he lives there and plays lots of local gigs.

I am so very jealous of anyone with musical abilities. I also can't cook, draw, or be creative in any fashion really. So I admire all of the artistic goals you guys have and hope you follow through some day! Especially the bagpipes - :thumbup: DVMDream!

I have three Ben Folds songbooks (Reinhold Messner, Songs for Silverman, and just a general "Learn How to Play in the Style of Ben Folds Five"). It's so much fun to play. I've seen him about 6 times in concert, and I'll be seeing him in February too!!

As for what I'd like to learn...I'm toying with the idea of buying some Rosetta Stones so I can learn some languages. Swedish and French are at the top of the list. However, seeing as I'm a poor student, I'll have to put this idea off for a while.

I'll have you know that I was NOT a hippie in high school but was in fact a MUCH cooler punk. Yep. Bondage pants, black straight hair, far too much eyeliner, and bracelets from my wrists practically to my elbows.

Whoa. I don't even know what bondage pants are.

new_tripp_rubber_strip_handcuff_pants.jpg

Just think Hot Topic, Squibby. Or, um... baggy pants with way too many chains and loops.

Man lei, where will you be seeing him? I'm seeing him in Tulsa, so how far is that guy travelling in one month?

TT, we can always count on you at times like this.

EllieG, I can totally picture your look in h.s. now. Did someone do an intervention, or why did you change your look?

What's funny is that I was in class last year with a grad student who dressed like that, and is now attending RVC.

Just to keep this thread on-topic:

I would like to learn how to use a manual camera.