OT: Something you want to learn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I dressed like I did in hs, I would be like... hmm. Well, minus the cat ears, I think the pink hair and Threadless shirts probably don't scream maturity.

Maturity is overrated, anyhow.

Disclaimer: Dear vet schools, I am VERY mature. Hair color is not correlated with maturity levels. :)

Members don't see this ad.

If I dressed like I did in hs, I would be like... hmm. Well, minus the cat ears, I think the pink hair and Threadless shirts probably don't scream maturity.

Maturity is overrated, anyhow.

Disclaimer: Dear vet schools, I am VERY mature. Hair color is not correlated with maturity levels. :)

If I dressed like I did in HS there's a distinct possibility that I would have gotten in on my first try based on the mistaken impression that I was a guy..... Boy's bowl cut, jinko jeans and large t-shirts were not my most flattering look.

Just to keep this thread on-topic:

I would like to learn how to use a manual camera.

Oh, you reminded me! I have a nice SLR that I did a lot of B&W darkroom work with in college - I spent most of my senior year in the darkroom - and a really lovely DSLR that I have no freaking idea how to use. I REALLY want to get a better lens for it and learn how to use it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to learn to skydive. And play the guitar. And make mosaic tabletops. And get my black belt.

Regarding fashion and maturity... if I had a dollar for every person who has either asked me if I am planning on wearing one of the ridiculous animal hats I practically live in every winter to interviews or advised me that this would be a bad idea, I would not be so concerned about the loans I'll inevitably incur as an OOS-er.

Seriously, people... of course I'm not going to wear a monkey hat to interviews. If I get them. What do you take me for? The kangaroo's way more obnoxious. And its ears bounce when I walk...
:smuggrin:

Sometimes I question how people can both assume I am that stupid and profess confidence in my eventual ability to practice medicine, haha.

I had dark red hair (short) and wore cat ears to school. oO;

Hey, you were just ahead of your time! Have you SEEN how many adults are wearing winter hats with *ears* lately? Floppy dog ears, cat ears, etc. I was at some downtown DC tourist sites over thanksgiving and must've seen at least 15 grownups wearing hats with ears. I'll admit the trend confused me, but then I've never been much for the latest trends.

And, as far as this thread goes, I've always wanted to learn to bake bread! I'm a pretty good cook and dessert baker, but anytime yeast is involved I totally screw it up and get dry, tasteless hockey pucks. I've more or less given up...I think I'm too impatient.

Hey, you were just ahead of your time! Have you SEEN how many adults are wearing winter hats with *ears* lately? Floppy dog ears, cat ears, etc. I was at some downtown DC tourist sites over thanksgiving and must've seen at least 15 grownups wearing hats with ears. I'll admit the trend confused me, but then I've never been much for the latest trends.

I LOVE that trend!!! I just haven't gone out to buy myself one yet. HA!!! I think they are hilarious.

As for me..I have WAY to many things I want to learn!

I know how to play an instrument in almost every family EXCEPT for the horns. Need to get my hands on a trumpet! Problem is that it makes my lips itch. A LOT.

I want to learn how to do a western rollback....(picture me as yous very typical dressage/event rider....it's amusing to see me in a western saddle)

I want to learn to crochet or knit. Last time I tried, I threw the needle and yarn about 5 feet and screamed expletives. Dang thing was so tight!

My mother is a sign language interpreter and I was able to understand it when I was little. I've lost almost all my skills and am pretty much down to signing the alphabet to communicate. I want to become fluent!

Ok - and I know that you don't LEARN how to do this really but it's on my list: I am DYING to be a FedEX delivery person at christmas time!! I will dress up as an elf and have one hell of a time jumping on and off the truck delivering packages. :D

there's a lot more...but I should go to work! :)

I could seriously make HUGE list of all the things I want to learn. There are some things I want to 're-school' myself on. I haven't really ridden horses in years and would love to get back to doing so. I rode Western--mostly for pleasure, with some amateur barrel racing, pole bending, and other play-day events...it would be amazing to barrel race competitively. I also want to learn to jump and to ride dressage. And I would love to disappear on horseback, with my husband, for a few weeks or months on trails out on the backwoods somewhere I haven't prospected (panning & sluicing) for gold since high school, but it's a skill I want to teach my husband and kids because it's a lot of fun...and I want to re-learn all the Spanish I learned in high school and college and be able to speak it fluently.

I also want to learn to speak, read, and write German, Italian, Cherokee (indian), and Hebrew. I would, however, enjoy learning additional languages. Those are just the primary ones. I want to learn to play the guitar and write/read music. I want to learn to work on my vehicle by myself, and to continue learning DIY home repair (and will as my husband and I work on the repair/remodeling projects we have in mind). I want to be able to shoot multiple types of guns proficiently and accurately. I want to be able to grow a garden without killing things, and to can and otherwise preserve food. I want to get better at cooking, and am slowly working on that. I want to learn to dance, ballroom, ballet, hip-hop, and other styles.

I really just want to learn as much as I can about everything. I love knowledge.

Professionally, I want to learn as many research techniques as I can...I want to be able to publish well-written and useful books...of course, I want to learn all the skills I will need to be an excellent veterinarian (but that's a given for all of us)...I want to learn to train dogs (if only for personal use)...I think I would like to learn all the skills needed to be a homebirth midwife, but would not want to be a midwife full-time. Yes, seriously, I could just keep going...so I'll hush now, LOL!