OT What are you cooking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had just a few friends over for a cocktail night to celebrate the end of the year. Our spread
IMG_6742.jpg

My contribution was the figs-in-a-blanket

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mother’s Day breakfast for my mom!!!
Homemade home fries (with a smidge of paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper), pancakes, and cheesy scrambled eggs!!

ECB62098-B878-4876-8484-8D284809F6B8.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
@CoffeeQuestionMark what is everything? I can pick out the shrimp cocktail, the veggie tray, and garlic toast?? (and the Tito's...yum) but what are the other bowls/pans of things? It all looks yummy
Towards the back is bruschetta, paired with parmesan toast. There were also lemon bars, chocolate dipped strawberries, and the figs-in-a-blanket.
There is a sugar bowl with lemon slices, too, but that was not an hors d'oeuvre, it was to pair with german chocolate cake shots
:hungry:

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Guys I’m so proud of myself! I made some brown sugar milk tea and coffee jelly for the first time ever! Turned out pretty good for my first shot if I do say so myself :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Adjustments.jpg
    Adjustments.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Tonight featured a poor-man's (woman's) Salisbury steak. As in a hamburger patty, gravy, mashed potatoes, and sauteed mushrooms and onions. Basically a way to use up a bunch of leftover odds and ends. And it actually turned out not bad lol.

• Love
Guys I’m so proud of myself! I made some brown sugar milk tea and coffee jelly for the first time ever! Turned out pretty good for my first shot if I do say so myself :)

That looks so delicious!!! I had my first attempt at keto bubble tea with milk foam (minus the bubbles.. lol) yesterday and it actually turned out pretty well! I am having to experiment a bit to keep within what I am supposed to be eating with this diet.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
As a foil to last night's assortment of stray leftovers, there's currently garlic bread and stuffed zucchini in my oven <3

• Love
View attachment 307768

HEY EVERYONE !!

PLEASE SIGN AND SHARE !!

Many people are unaware that veterinary hospitals are considered essential businesses - it’s time to spread the word and show your appreciation for the veterinary field!!

this is a great opportunity to spread the word about our amazing profession!!

THANK YOU !!!!

Courtney Weaver
Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2023
Please stop spamming this in unrelated threads.

@Lupin21 i know yous probably busy with work but pls save us.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
It’s like. The petition is to the AVMA. But at the start of the pandemic, the AVMA released a statement declaring practices as essential. Make it make sense.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
It’s like. The petition is to the AVMA. But at the start of the pandemic, the AVMA released a statement declaring practices as essential. Make it make sense.

Yeah, I can't even figure out what this petition is actually for. Like it feels like it's actually supposed to be a thank you card rather a petition... but we're all part of the veterinary community in the first place so are we like... signing a thank you card to ourselves?

Also, using your real name to spam a professional forum was probably not the brightest of moves.

Reactions: 8 users
Yeah, I can't even figure out what this petition is actually for. Like it feels like it's actually supposed to be a thank you card rather a petition... but we're all part of the veterinary community in the first place so are we like... signing a thank you card to ourselves?

Also, using your real name to spam a professional forum was probably not the brightest of moves.
C0F965C0-0859-45BA-8EDB-729CF22CF26D.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

I feel like that would’ve been better off as a Facebook post or tweet with a “please share” or “please retweet” “to show support”

Maybe this is a (poorly executed) attempt at getting vet med recognized for some of the benefits being proposed in various bills for essential workers?

Like maybe veterinarians got left out of the proposed bill with the potential for $25,000 in loans forgiveness for essential workers?

The bill defined essential workers very specifically and not all people working as essential workers were actually included. (My husband is considered an essential worker and goes to work everyday, but his profession was not included in the bill.)

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

Maybe this is a (poorly executed) attempt at getting vet med recognized for some of the benefits being proposed in various bills for essential workers?

Like maybe veterinarians got left out of the proposed bill with the potential for $25,000 in loans forgiveness for essential workers?

The bill defined essential workers very specifically and not all people working as essential workers were actually included. (My husband is considered an essential worker and goes to work everyday, but his profession was not included in the bill.)

I don’t think so. If you read the petition and the girl’s post and comment on the APVMA Facebook page, it really just seemed like a “1 like=1 respect” kind of post. Except I don’t understand why she’d choose a petition, which is supposed to be in support of some sort of tangible change (surprising, especially since the website change.org doesn’t imply that at all...). Instead she wants to bring awareness to the fact that veterinary hospitals are essential, despite the fact that it’s on every government website, and she is posting it to veterinary groups so that we can be aware that we’re essential?

I don’t think so. If you read the petition and the girl’s post and comment on the APVMA Facebook page, it really just seemed like a “1 like=1 respect” kind of post. Except I don’t understand why she’d choose a petition, which is supposed to be in support of some sort of tangible change (surprising, especially since the website change.org doesn’t imply that at all...). Instead she wants to bring awareness to the fact that veterinary hospitals are essential, despite the fact that it’s on every government website, and she is posting it to veterinary groups so that we can be aware that we’re essential?
Weird.

Especially in the cooking thread. :thinking:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
hey guys. So if you need it seen in a hurry, report it and another mod can always work on it WITHOUT having to ask specifically

in this case, someone did that and it was the correct call and they've been temp banned while we figure out what we're doing here.

Reactions: 6 users
Now for an on-topic post, my friend and I made a tomato soup cake last night.
I saw a recipe on Facebook and said "we have to try that." They compared it to carrot cake.

Well, we didn't follow the recipe at all, and instead just got a box of spice cake mix and replaced the water in the recipe with condensed tomato soup.
I think it's a good cake, would have to try a regular spice cake side-by-side to really see what flavor the soup adds, cause as-is I can't tell a difference.

Last night I made chicken alfredo with mushrooms and green peppers that was SO good even though I definitely make variations of that meal a lot (because: cheap, easy, makes a lot for lunches/quick suppers). I think the butter that was used to saute the mushrooms and peppers may have contributed a little.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I’ve been taking advantage of having to weed out a ton of goutweed to make pesto :). Mostly goutweed (tastes a lot like parsley imo), some kidney beans and soy milk for creaminess, nutritional yeast for umami, black pepper, and lemon juice for brightness. Thrown in blender without measuring because my cooking style is “experimental but incredibly lazy”.

My SO's family bought a share in a farm in the rural part of the county. I am taking care of their cat while they are out of town later this summer. Their kitty is his own reward - he's a great boy - but they offered me their weekly fresh vegetable basket so it doesn't go to waste.

I WANT to learn to cook more things. So much of why I realistically don't try is cost. I hate having to spend money on food that I may or may not actually end up eating to a sense of fullness. Then, I have to spend money on what I am actually going to eat, which is frequently takeout because by that point I am starving and crabby. So, it gets hard for me to justify the expense. But, these are FREE. So, I am going to try some vegetable recipes from Pinterest that week and see how it goes. :) I will report back! :)

Reactions: 7 users
Made a really tasty Mexican Zucchini and beef skillet tonight. Keto friendly even though I'm not into that usually. Mexican Zucchini and Beef Skillet Not the quickest meal but makes a lot of food so I wont have to cook much while on ICU/ECC this week.

OOO I love that I found this thread! Super curious what you all enjoy making for breakfast/brunch? My boyfriend and I have a tradition of sleeping in and making Sunday Brunch together (a tradition I hope to carry into vet school :)) and we're looking for new ideas! we're getting sick of pancakes, omelettes, or french toast lol!

OOO I love that I found this thread! Super curious what you all enjoy making for breakfast/brunch? My boyfriend and I have a tradition of sleeping in and making Sunday Brunch together (a tradition I hope to carry into vet school :)) and we're looking for new ideas! we're getting sick of pancakes, omelettes, or french toast lol!
Oooo my family does a really yummy casserole with sausage and hash browns in it if you want the recipe :laugh:
It does make a 9x13 pan so you’ll either need to cut the recipe or have a looooot of leftovers vs just the one morning.

Almost every weekday morning I have scrambled eggs with ham, cheese, potatoes, and jalapeños. I also love sourdough toast but the carbs don’t keep me full long enough to be a sustainable breakfast. I like Migas on occasion to switch up my egg dishes. Quiche can be a good way to use up leftover veggies and meats. Biscuits and gravy? Eggs Benedict? I used to eat a lot of breakfast burritos because I could make them ahead of time and freeze some, but sounds like you want something fun to make together.