OT What are you cooking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yes :p Is sander's only a michigan thing? I thought it was everywhere haha
It started in Detroit and most people I know that aren’t from Michigan haven’t ever heard of it :laugh:
I JUST WANNA RAVE ABOUT BUMPY CAKE FOR A HOT SECOND.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
E9B6F984-67E7-4804-AD6C-28068AE87577.jpeg

Baked carrots, cauliflower, garbanzo beans, dried apricots, and almonds with olive oil and seasoned with paprika, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Placed over arugula and topped with lemon juice, green onion, and a small amount of vegetarian Caesar. yummy. I think I’ve discovered putting anything on top of greens = instantly healthy :p

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Here’s an easy lemon chicken I made the other night!!! So tasty! I made two batches of the sauce in the recipe and marinated the chicken before pan frying. I also used a bit of olive oil in the pan in addition to the butter. I recommend pan frying at a lower temp and also setting the oven for 375-385 so that the chicken doesn’t dry out.
Easy Lemon Baked Chicken
I’m not sure why I opened this since I don’t eat meat but I am happy to report this person LOVED my hometown (city)!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lunch: Cheeseburger calzones with fontina cheese sauce.
Dinner: Greek meatballs and orzo with tomato sauce and feta
E5650F37-1D76-4A22-ABC0-F5744AF801F3.jpeg
849598E6-9B5A-4182-BD68-C590BD8729C7.jpeg
20BCAB7B-98DA-4BBB-A3C1-F81B90602F5E.jpeg

• Love
IMG_2959.jpg

After a brief panic when my cooktop didn't work after a power outage, I figured out how to reset it. And made myself dinner and lunch for the next two days. Peanut chicken with couscous pearls, and the spinach is really spicy, basically palak paneer without the paneer cheese.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IMG_2965.jpg
Poor husband has a migraine and went to bed early. On the plus side, that means I get to be as weird as I want to be with dinner. So I had fancy champagne, brussels sprouts, and an egg salad sandwich made with dijon mustard, bread and butter pickles, and banana peppers.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Poor husband has a migraine and went to bed early. On the plus side, that means I get to be as weird as I want to be with dinner. So I had fancy champagne, brussels sprouts, and an egg salad sandwich made with dijon mustard, bread and butter pickles, and banana peppers.
If someone doesn’t like brussels sprouts it’s because they boiled them instead of roasting/pan frying them. And if they still don’t like them they’re wrong.

Reactions: 7 users
I had a chocolate brownie sundae for dinner. No regrets. Might have a snack of Garden Salsa flavored Sun Chips later on to top the night off.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
If someone doesn’t like brussels sprouts it’s because they boiled them instead of roasting/pan frying them. And if they still don’t like them they’re wrong.
My favorite way to make them is to get really good fresh ones, cut them into quarters, and toss with oil and balsamic vinegar. They're actually a little sweet when raw. But it's hard to get really good fresh ones, especially now.

My favorite way to make them is to get really good fresh ones, cut them into quarters, and toss with oil and balsamic vinegar. They're actually a little sweet when raw. But it's hard to get really good fresh ones, especially now.
Oooo that sounds good. I’ve actually never had them raw. My favorite is that recipe people always make for thanksgiving, roasted with bacon and cranberries. So good.

I haven't tried Brussel sprouts in a while but the last time I had them they were roasted and I still didn't like them :bag: however, my palate has expanded within the past few years so maybe I'd like them now

I bought a slab of pork belly recently. It was supposed to be ~9-10lbs. It was almost 15. I have three different types of bacon curing in my fridge, roasted pork belly for ramen and tacos, and am making homemade pork rinds with the skin. I think I finally have it mostly under control.

I usually cook mostly vegetarian and my partner is so so happy with these recent events. :laugh:

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I made croque monsieurs for lunch with some fancy braided brioche... and rabies kitten* jumped up on the counter and licked mine right before I put it in the oven :yeahright:

Hope the broiler kills the bacteria in cat spit.

*kitten does not actually have rabies.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I made croque monsieurs for lunch with some fancy braided brioche... and rabies kitten* jumped up on the counter and licked mine right before I put it in the oven :yeahright:

She lies, kitten has chronic rabies.

Probably will kill the bacteria. Unsure if it will kill the rabies in the spit though:thinking:

I have learned the hard way that I cannot leave the fancy cheese plates I make to go with my wine unattended for even a second or my old man cat will lick ALL THE CHEESE. He doesn't eat it, he just loves it. A lot. All of it.
Yeah, my cat used to love to run off with butter from the counter. Also tortilla chips. And occasionally ice cream.

You know what, he's just a monster

• Haha
Yeah, my cat used to love to run off with butter from the counter. Also tortilla chips. And occasionally ice cream.

You know what, he's just a monster
Ice cream is like crack to this cat. It's the only thing where he will actually smack the spoon out of my hand on the way to my mouth. He usually has such good manners, but it all goes to hell when ice cream is involved. I don't even like ice cream, but sometimes I'll eat some vanilla because he likes it so much.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't even like ice cream
Illegal! Burn the witch!

Ice cream is like crack to this cat. It's the only thing where he will actually smack the spoon out of my hand on the way to my mouth. He usually has such good manners, but it all goes to hell when ice cream is involved. I don't even like ice cream, but sometimes I'll eat some vanilla because he likes it so much.
Cheese will hit all kinds of things out of my hands if he thinks it'll give him a shot at it. Heck, he'll even hit me if I leave my room when he doesn't want me to

• Haha
Herb & garlic bread's just out, and give the chili about another half an hour. I don't usually cook when I'm at home, but at least this way I can be pretty sure I'm not allergic to it!

• Love
Herb & garlic bread's just out, and give the chili about another half an hour. I don't usually cook when I'm at home, but at least this way I can be pretty sure I'm not allergic to it!
PLOT TWIST... I had an allergic reaction to MY OWN GOD DAMN COOKING! I suspect the sausage meat. "Seasonings."

• Sad
I love garlic bread :love: :love: :love:
PLOT TWIST... I had an allergic reaction to MY OWN GOD DAMN COOKING! I suspect the sausage meat. "Seasonings."
OMG, was it serious?

I'm officially mildly anaphylactic. It wasn't bad enough to need the epi-pen, but a drug cocktail was consumed. FML!

• Sad
Glad it wasn’t bad enough for the epi pen :(
Thanks Ski! <3 So far I haven't needed it, but I guess it's good to have it <sigh> Allergy started a bit ago but it took me a while to figure out what was going on. And it's been getting worse, which is scary. Apparently I need All The Drugs nearby any time I eat now :(

The bread has herbs and garlic baked in. Happy to post the recipe if you'd like? It's a bread machine recipe, but I'm sure it could be adapted by someone who knows how to make bread in general.

Thanks Ski! <3 So far I haven't needed it, but I guess it's good to have it <sigh> Allergy started a bit ago but it took me a while to figure out what was going on. And it's been getting worse, which is scary. Apparently I need All The Drugs nearby any time I eat now :(

The bread has herbs and garlic baked in. Happy to post the recipe if you'd like? It's a bread machine recipe, but I'm sure it could be adapted by someone who knows how to make bread in general.
I don't know how to make bread :(

I start with this recipe and just change what additions I put in. My favourite combo so far has been parsley, thyme and garlic powder, so that's what I did this time. I'm also fairly liberal with them lol. I also attached the setting for you :)

Attachments

• 20200503_125819.jpg
    20200503_125819.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200503_125836.jpg
    20200503_125836.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: 2 users
I’m on a gluten free, no sugar diet. I’ve been baking a ton to try and find cookies I like, and cooking because I miss fried food!

Recently I’ve tried Keto Chocolate Fat Bombs (Keto Chocolate Chip Cookie Fat Bombs) and used gluten free flour as opposed to almond flour. I also cut down the sugar to half (because I don’t like the taste of a lot of swerve, and too much can upset my stomach)

I also made Peanut Butter No Bake bars, which is 1 cup peanut butter, 1.5 cup GF flour, 1/4 cup swerve confectioners, and 2 tsp vanilla extract, plus 1/2 cup melted Lily’s chocolate for on top drizzle. And I just put it in the fridge for 1-2 hrs before eating.

I made broccoli bites 2x this week based off the following recipe (Broccoli Cheese Balls) but I don’t use Panko crumbs and I don’t do the flour or egg coating, I just bake them for 25-35 minutes. They’re super good, but I definitely recommend using more broccoli then it calls for (I used 2 cups broccoli and 3 cups cheese + 1 egg the 2nd batch) otherwise it’s too greasy and cheesy and it can cause acid reflux if you eat too much

Also, I drink smoothies daily. My go to is blueberries, strawberries, lactose free milk and a little spinach

I don't know how to make bread :(
If you're interested in starting, it's really not that hard!

On one end of the learning curve, I have a good recipe for Irish brown soda bread (the "real" kind imo) which doesn't even require yeast -- you mix it with your hands and then just basically plop it on a piece of parchment paper/on a cookie sheet to bake it.

On the other side, I also have a great recipe for brioche, which is supposedly a "hard" bread to learn to bake, but I really don't think it is any harder than making cookies. Everything essentially just gets dropped into a stand mixer and it uses instant yeast that can be kept in the freezer.

(PM me if you want pictures of the recipes, anyone!)

• Love