OT What are you cooking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOO I love that I found this thread! Super curious what you all enjoy making for breakfast/brunch? My boyfriend and I have a tradition of sleeping in and making Sunday Brunch together (a tradition I hope to carry into vet school :)) and we're looking for new ideas! we're getting sick of pancakes, omelettes, or french toast lol!
It's kind of along the same lines of an omelette, but last brunch I made a tomato and asigo frittata.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOO I love that I found this thread! Super curious what you all enjoy making for breakfast/brunch? My boyfriend and I have a tradition of sleeping in and making Sunday Brunch together (a tradition I hope to carry into vet school :)) and we're looking for new ideas! we're getting sick of pancakes, omelettes, or french toast lol!
Most of mine have been suggested already (quiche quiche quiche quiche!!!) but I also like miscellaneous sweet breads (pumpkin bread, banana bread) and lemon poppyseed muffins to toss in the mix.

You can also go for waffles or look into yogurt/granola bowls, making your own breakfast bars, egg-in-a-hole (FYI these are also great if you make one and use it for one of the bread slices in a grilled cheese), smoothies, sunny side up eggs inside of bell pepper rings, shakshuka (great for all meal times imo :hungry:) , breakfast tacos, your own version of breakfast hot pockets, danishes/strudel, fancy oatmeal, breakfast chilaquiles (because why not start the day with what are essentially nachos?), biscuits and gravy, hash browns, or huevos rancheros.

Or, if you're like me, you could also keep it easy and make yourself an indulgent breakfast that consists of count chocula and mimosas.

Reactions: 2 users
Oooo my family does a really yummy casserole with sausage and hash browns in it if you want the recipe :laugh:
It does make a 9x13 pan so you’ll either need to cut the recipe or have a looooot of leftovers vs just the one morning.
I would LOVE to know this recipe!!! YUM!

Most of mine have been suggested already (quiche quiche quiche quiche!!!) but I also like miscellaneous sweet breads (pumpkin bread, banana bread) and lemon poppyseed muffins to toss in the mix.

You can also go for waffles or look into yogurt/granola bowls, making your own breakfast bars, egg-in-a-hole (FYI these are also great if you make one and use it for one of the bread slices in a grilled cheese), smoothies, sunny side up eggs inside of bell pepper rings, shakshuka (great for all meal times imo :hungry:) , breakfast tacos, your own version of breakfast hot pockets, danishes/strudel, fancy oatmeal, breakfast chilaquiles (because why not start the day with what are essentially nachos?), biscuits and gravy, hash browns, or huevos rancheros.

Or, if you're like me, you could also keep it easy and make yourself an indulgent breakfast that consists of count chocula and mimosas.
Oh my gosh so many fun ideas!! Thank you!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I would LOVE to know this recipe!!! YUM!
Here you go!! And even with half the sausage being zesty hot sausage, it’s not really spicy at all, if you’re concerned.

0877A19B-B0DA-4076-B620-D63A11D4DB01.jpeg

Random question, but what is the one kitchen appliance you guys can’t live without?! (Or cook without I should say lol!) what is your favorite thing to make in said kitchen appliance?!

I’ll go first!

I love my air fryer, and my favorite thing to make in it is home fries

Random question, but what is the one kitchen appliance you guys can’t live without?! (Or cook without I should say lol!) what is your favorite thing to make in said kitchen appliance?!

I’ll go first!

Crockpot.

If I can't make it in a crockpot and freeze for future consumption, I don't make it. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

I’ll go first!

Hubz does all the cooking these days, seems he loves his cast iron pan a lot and I think the thing he enjoys making in it the most is deep dish pizza

My favorite appliance is a tie between my coffee grinder and french press :laugh:

I’ll go first!

My would be my KitchenAid mixer.

I love baking anything, but especially oatmeal caramel bars! :hungry:

• Love
I came home to a mostly stocked kitchen because I froze everything! :eek: including my cheese, which I don't remember doing but it was so nice to be able to defrost a block of asiago and a container of pasta primavera.

On the appliance question, the only appliances I use are a stove and a coffee maker and I can't give up either of those. I don't have any fancy gadgets unfortunately.

It's not an appliance, but I have a Shun 5.5" santoku knife I bought on sale literally a decade ago and it has been beat, abused, has bits of the blade missing, and is still my absolute favorite knife to use for anything.

It's beat af and I'm too cheap to buy another because I bought it at like 70% off but I love it. I have small hands so normal sized chef knives always feel huge to me. I reach for it before all others and literally take it home to my family house when I know we're gonna be cooking a bunch. :laugh:

Otherwise... does my garlic press count as an appliance? I kinda love that thing haha.

Last edited:
I have an amazing nonstick pan that I could not live without. It’s the only one I have, since most of the ones I’ve used have been terrible so I don’t buy them. Found this one super cheap at TJ Maxx and expected it to also be bad, but it’s the world’s greatest pan. My favorite thing to make in it is eggs. Any kind.

I’ll go first!

Rice cooker, cast iron skillet, food processor

Not necessarily in that order but I use all of the above a ton and they are great kitchen workhorses. You'd be surprised how much you can make in a rice cooker too

I just use the stove, oven, and microwave to cook. I don’t have any kitchen appliances at all except a KitchenAid mixer I got this Christmas. I love my mixer but I haven’t gotten to use it a ton since I really only bake for other people and COVID has limited social events.

I don’t even have a toaster so I just make toast in my oven under the broiler when I want toast. I don’t like how things get mushy when in crock pots. I’ve never used an air fryer or instant pot or anything. I guess I technically have a small coffee pot but that’s just for when my dad visits...I don’t drink coffee so I keep it stored on a super high shelf.

Hubz does all the cooking these days, seems he loves his cast iron pan a lot and I think the thing he enjoys making in it the most is deep dish pizza

My favorite appliance is a tie between my coffee grinder and french press :laugh:
What's his usual recipe for deep dish? Just curious

Toaster oven! Its the best for reheating leftovers that should be crispy (like pizza) or for cooking meals for one when you don't want to wait forever for the big oven to preheat...

Reactions: 3 users
Rice cooker, cast iron skillet, food processor

Not necessarily in that order but I use all of the above a ton and they are great kitchen workhorses. You'd be surprised how much you can make in a rice cooker too

Suggestions on what I should made with my rice cooker besides rice? I got one as a graduation present and it has not been opened for about 3 years now.

Suggestions on what I should made with my rice cooker besides rice? I got one as a graduation present and it has not been opened for about 3 years now.
Banana bread, banana pudding, ribs, dumplings, steamed vegetables, a variety of proteins, pancakes, cake, quinoa, oatmeal, soup, frittatas, Mac and cheese. There's a lot of recipes if you dig around online. I think there's a section on Allrecipes that's specifically just rice cooker recipes

• Wow
  • Love
Banana bread, banana pudding, ribs, dumplings, steamed vegetables, a variety of proteins, pancakes, cake, quinoa, oatmeal, soup, frittatas, Mac and cheese. There's a lot of recipes if you dig around online. I think there's a section on Allrecipes that's specifically just rice cooker recipes
Thank you so much! I’ll definitely have to do some research and actually start using it. I keep telling myself I need to get an insta pot, crockpot, etc, but it sounds like I should work on mastering new recipes with my rice cooker first!

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely have to do some research and actually start using it. I keep telling myself I need to get an insta pot, crockpot, etc, but it sounds like I should work on mastering new recipes with my rice cooker first!
Some of them are definitely interesting and probably a bit more work to figure out initially than they would be in other cooking devices. However I use it a lot for simple things that are a pain to cook on the stove, like this meatless variation of mujadara. It's way easier because you basically toss the grains in the rice cooker and then you just have to get your egg/toppings ready (easier if you're like me and make caramelized onions in bulk once a month and freeze individual portions for later use). No more worries about burning anything or having the pot boil over!

Just made a small hamburger patty with Impossible ground "beef," and it was A M A Z I N G

I've had beyond burgers & impossible burgers at restaurants before and they were good, but something about cooking it at home made me more impressed.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I admit that I really haven't been cooking quite the same way that I used to cook.
I started ordering Hungryroot so they just do all the meal planning and shopping for me.
Honestly, it's friggin fantastic. I really like that I can not stress about what I'm eating during crazy exam periods.

I admit that I really haven't been cooking quite the same way that I used to cook.
I started ordering Hungryroot so they just do all the meal planning and shopping for me.
Honestly, it's friggin fantastic. I really like that I can not stress about what I'm eating during crazy exam periods.
Is hungryroot like Blue Apron, Home Chef, or Hello Fresh

Is hungryroot like Blue Apron, Home Chef, or Hello Fresh
I think so? I don't know what the differences are in how they operate since I haven't tried the others. It might be less "from scratch" in that all of the sauces, etc you might need come prepared but idk if that is standard in all of the services. Also, they have an emphasis on groceries.. Like you get stuff to make the recipes of course but can add in snacks, or if you already have some of the ingredients for a dish maybe you delete the recipe and just get the individual ingredients you still need to make it

• Haha
I am reviving this thread because I've cooked and I never cook and I needed to brag about it, dammit!

Anyway, hubs does 90% of the cooking but just started into the heavy courses for his accounting designation so full work hours plus full student hours means we would not do so well with that. I abhor cooking and refuse to do it daily so for the last couple of weeks I do big meals on Sunday and we eat them all week and it's going really well! Hubs is gluten sensitive and we're trying to be healthier so everything I've been making is either totally gluten free or minimal gluten, low calorie, calculated macros and we definitely have some winners (low cal chicken Parm and baked feta pasta, I'm looking at you).

This week I currently have buffalo chicken in the slow cooker to go into a buffalo chicken bake tomorrow and some cubed chicken marinating in the fridge for Greek chicken kebabs tonight. Anyone else cooking fun things either through vet school or in busy doctor lives?

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone else cooking fun things either through vet school or in busy doctor lives?
Does a double batch of mashed potatoes for thanksgiving so I can have a full batch of potatoes for 10 as leftovers to eat for the following days count as cooking fun things to anyone else but me? 😂😂😂

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I enjoy cooking, but I have to have 1) extra energy, and 2) nothing else I should be doing instead. So I took advantage of some extra time this week (no classes!!!) and made Stuffed Pepper Soup! I tend to like recipes from Skinnytaste (lower calorie and/or weight loss website), and I've been making this one for years - ground meat of your choice (I used turkey) gets browned in a soup pot, then add garlic, diced onion, and diced bell peppers, cook until softened, then add broth of choice along with 2 cans diced tomatoes & 1 small can tomato sauce. Add salt, pepper, herbs to taste, let simmer for 30 min, and add brown rice to each serving before you eat it (I use the frozen microwavable kind). DELICIOUS, tons of veggies, and filling, so I made 5 servings to take to school this week!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I enjoy cooking, but I have to have 1) extra energy, and 2) nothing else I should be doing instead. So I took advantage of some extra time this week (no classes!!!) and made Stuffed Pepper Soup! I tend to like recipes from Skinnytaste (lower calorie and/or weight loss website), and I've been making this one for years - ground meat of your choice (I used turkey) gets browned in a soup pot, then add garlic, diced onion, and diced bell peppers, cook until softened, then add broth of choice along with 2 cans diced tomatoes & 1 small can tomato sauce. Add salt, pepper, herbs to taste, let simmer for 30 min, and add brown rice to each serving before you eat it (I use the frozen microwavable kind). DELICIOUS, tons of veggies, and filling, so I made 5 servings to take to school this week!
Sounds delicious!

Does a double batch of mashed potatoes for thanksgiving so I can have a full batch of potatoes for 10 as leftovers to eat for the following days count as cooking fun things to anyone else but me? 😂😂😂
Literally the best

• Love