OT What are you cooking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is some kind of chicken stew type thing doing its thing in my crock pot. Didn't have much to season it with, so we'll see how it turns out.

I love how the chicken stew sounds like a monster from under the bed

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
There is some kind of chicken stew type thing doing its thing in my crock pot. Didn't have much to season it with, so we'll see how it turns out.
Too soupy, but tasty all the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
92DCF70D-0DD8-4066-BBE2-B3C8A65D864C.jpeg

T minus 7 hours until my jambalaya is ready.

(Gordon Ramsey taught me how to slice those peppers so I’m hopefully making him proud)

Reactions: 3 users
Why is there pasta in your jambalaya?? That feels so wrong to me haha.
So growing up, we always made it with rice and there’s a restaurant by our house that makes really good jambalaya. So my parents were sitting at the bar and ordering food and the bartender asked my mom if she ever tried it with Mac n cheese instead of the rice.

So we tried it, and it’s so much better. The mac and cheese adds a creaminess to it that’s unbeatable lol. So I wanted to recreate it

So growing up, we always made it with rice and there’s a restaurant by our house that makes really good jambalaya. So my parents were sitting at the bar and ordering food and the bartender asked my mom if she ever tried it with Mac n cheese instead of the rice.

So we tried it, and it’s so much better. The mac and cheese adds a creaminess to it that’s unbeatable lol. So I wanted to recreate it
:hungry: *droools*

Nothing... I am cooking nothing for this whole weekend (because I'm home for the long weekend and my family is taking care of me :love:)!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you like the sausage pasta? It was sort of bland when I made it, not sure if it's an operator issue. I didn't like it as much as Budget Bytes' other version with just sun-dried tomatoes and broccoli.
I liked it, it definitely could have had more flavor, potentially should have just added more red pepper. Potentially an issue with the chicken broth? A more flavorful one might helped too.

The recipe did not call for it, but I would add a little basil or oregano. That will help "boost" the flavor. Or even the "italian blend" type seasoning. add to the broth when you start the pasta. And I would use a really good, flavorful sausage. Our local sausage/kolache store has a garlic sausage that is so good in dishes like this. Really adds a lot of flavor.

The recipe did not call for it, but I would add a little basil or oregano. That will help "boost" the flavor. Or even the "italian blend" type seasoning. add to the broth when you start the pasta. And I would use a really good, flavorful sausage. Our local sausage/kolache store has a garlic sausage that is so good in dishes like this. Really adds a lot of flavor.
I was also thinking of trying it as a macaroni and cheese type dish too...mostly because I love mac n cheese and since I used macaroni it almost felt like it should have had a cheese sauce :D

or, substitute 1/2 of the broth with white wine. yum... to play off of WildZoo's idea of mac n cheese, double (or triple) up on the parmesean, maybe a little mozz at the end...

My solution is to just not make that one ever again :p I like the sundried tomato/broccoli/walnut one enough, and don't honestly have any need for the sausage, flavorless or not.

My solution is to just not make that one ever again :p I like the sundried tomato/broccoli/walnut one enough, and don't honestly have any need for the sausage, flavorless or not.
Really weird if that one somehow ended up more flavorful, unless walnuts are magic. The only other differences are vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and feta instead of parmesan.

Really weird if that one somehow ended up more flavorful, unless walnuts are magic. The only other differences are vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and feta instead of parmesan.

I actually used the same broth in both. I don't know if the sausage soaked up a bunch of the flavor, robbing the rest, or what.

I actually used the same broth in both. I don't know if the sausage soaked up a bunch of the flavor, robbing the rest, or what.
Strange indeed. The second bit I had for lunch was quite delicious (from the same pan, just had been in the fridge longer) sooooo I have no idea what's going on lol

Strange indeed. The second bit I had for lunch was quite delicious (from the same pan, just had been in the fridge longer) sooooo I have no idea what's going on lol
My coworker is big into cooking and explained that the molecular components mix together over time so that the flavors become more uniform vs on the first day they more so stand alone.

Looks and sounds delicious! Saved.

How do you make mushroom bacon?
There are tons of recipes out there to do it properly, but I just pan fried chopped portabellas with smoked paprika, soy sauce, garlic powder, a bit of worcestershire and titch of cayenne pepper and sugar.

It isn't anything like real bacon but makes a smokey yummy addition. :) most real recipes call for liquid smoke but my partner hates it so it isn't in our house.

I'm feeling guilty that my hubby and I have been so busy and on different schedules (thanks, ER med..) that honestly we've been picking up fast food all the time instead of making dinner. If anyone has any yummy dump or quick one pan dinners, send them my wayyy!

I made something based on this pasta tonight. Added mushrooms, increased the garlic, used spicy sausage, and egg noodles instead of "proper" pasta. Freehanded a big batch without really measuring anything. I'm very happy with my creation overall! My only complaint is that I had so much liquid left over that I had to strain it (I didn't have enough broth and then added too much water) but that's entirely my own fault and could have been avoided by actually measuring things. But it's delicious!

Aside from fajitas I also really like making tacos.

I use this tofu recipe but wing it with the rest. Th is week I've nixed the tortillas out of laziness and have whipped avocado and lime juice into a bed of Cole slaw, then topped with Pico de gallo, tofu, and cheese. So super healthy and low carb.

However, homemade corn tortillas are phenomenal.

Loaded Crispy Tofu Tacos - The Woks of Life

Made spaghetti squash for the first time yesterday.

I'm so stupid though, I thought the stringy strands in the middle were the part I'm supposed to eat so I took out each individual seed and left the rest. Oops.

Million Dollar Spaghetti Squash Casserole | That Low Carb Life

Anyways. I don't eat meat, so left that out, and it ended up being not much sustenance. Ergo, today I put it on top of spaghetti (take that low carb spaghetti squash casserole :cigar:) and it was delicious

Instead of using jar marinara sauce, I made my lazy tomato sauce (I've mentioned before, it may be lazy but it is oh so good)

I do vodka sauce on spaghetti squash pretty regularly... plus meatless crumbles or just a good pile of cheese to make it a bit more sustaining. Om nom nom.

I really like gardeins meatballs with marinara on spaghetti squash
Not a big fan of their crumbles, but their meatless meatballs are really good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like gardeins meatballs with marinara on spaghetti squash
Not a big fan of their crumbles, but their meatless meatballs are really good

Have you had the beast burger?? It's a copy of the impossible burger. Haven't tried their grounds but if they are anything like the patties.... Ohh man

Have you had the beast burger?? It's a copy of the impossible burger. Haven't tried their grounds but if they are anything like the patties.... Ohh man

Nooo I haven’t heard of them! But the impossible burger is an orgasm in a bun so..... *drool*

Nooo I haven’t heard of them! But the impossible burger is an orgasm in a bun so..... *drool*

But have you had their Beyond burger because that thing is delicious. Weird but delicious haha

that's what I meant! I knew it had s "B" lol
Beast burger is another thing by beyond meat too though, so I figured you were taking about that hahaha

I’ve never had that one, because I was never able to find it.

Ah. I HAVE had the beyond burger. It’s growing on me. It is still a little too “fake meat”-y for me (been vegan <1 year at this point, so “real meat” is still in my pretty recent memory haha). The impossible burger is the only burger that has ever actually *replaced* a meat patty for me. Otherwise, i love veggie patties that embrace their true identities as veggie patties instead of trying to imitate meat.

Ah. I HAVE had the beyond burger. It’s growing on me. It is still a little too “fake meat”-y for me (been vegan <1 year at this point, so “real meat” is still in my pretty recent memory haha). The impossible burger is the only burger that has ever actually *replaced* a meat patty for me. Otherwise, i love veggie patties that embrace their true identities as veggie patties instead of trying to imitate meat.

Oh, yeah I don't remember the taste of meat really. Sometimes I will accidentally bite into something with meat and it tastes pretty gross.