Employment & Professional Networking OTD vs MSOT for Teaching Later on

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OThopefulF17

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have read a lot of the debates regarding an OTD vs MSOT. I do, however, want to get some feedback about whether a more expensive/longer OTD program would be worth attaining if I want to possibly teach at a university in the future, be more active in administrative positions? I do not really want to go back to school at any point after I begin my OT studies..so if I could get an MSOT, then practice, then go back to school, I do not really want to do that...

Advice? Feedback?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering the same thing.

I was also told by a pharmacist friend that I may have to go back to get my OTD at point. Pharmacy is currently a PharmD but used to be much less schooling. Some of the pharmacists she works with who are older had to go back to get their PharmD. Apparently they were looking down upon or highly encouraged to further their education. I wonder if this will happen to us because I would rather not go back after I'm done.

Looking through my most recent OT practice magazine, nearly all of the schools listed with job openings for faculty require a PhD. If that's the case, it's probably better to do a MOT and then go back for a PhD rather than spend more time and money for a DOT only to possibly go back for a PhD to make yourself competitive. Granted, those positions are for tenure track, so if you're interested in working and being an adjunct on the side, DOT is probably the way to go. But as the profession moves more towards DOT, it seems like tenured teaching is moving more towards PhD.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My issue is I do not like research at all, which PhD is all about...but teaching still interests me..do you think OTD would be best at that point still?

If you're willing to become a FW coordinator, an OTD will be enough. I haven't seen any of them with a PhD, and they do some teaching. I also have some other professors with their OTD, but they are less common than PhDs.

As an OTD student, we have to be trained by professionals with their doctorates, so we have one professor with her OTD teaching us neuro whereas the masters class has a master's level teaching it. So if we do transition, there will be an advantage over other master's, but less than PhDs. An Ed.D is also a possibility, but that too will take extra time.

Yeah prolly need a phd bruh.
Damn, I'm realizing my message count is catching up to yours. Also I want to believe you're Gabe Newell IRL and that he's secretly an OT on the side.

Totally off topic, but yeah.

Damn, I'm realizing my message count is catching up to yours. Also I want to believe you're Gabe Newell IRL and that he's secretly an OT on the side.

Totally off topic, but yeah.

I stopped playing games some months back (rip counter strike). might as well change it to anime.

Official weeb?

What Phd programs are the best for OTs? Rehab sci maybe.

What Phd programs are the best for OTs? Rehab sci maybe.
It depends. Off the top of my head, my professors have PhDs in...Neuroscience, Educational Psychology, Rehab Science, Occupational Science, maybe Disability Studies? Rehab sci and occupational sci are going to be more relevant to post-professional academics than neuroscience, which would be more pure science/rooted in academia.