Other non-traditional premed students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tawnymarie85

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am based out of the SF Bay Area. I'm early 30's. Single mom. I work at a few hospitals. I've been trying to find a way to connect with other non-traditional students. Are there resources besides this forum? I've attempted searching tags etc on social media such as Instagram but still keep coming across the early 20's pre-med students. Just looking to connect with those who have been through what I have or close to it and can relate while trying to get into medical school. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Tawny,

I haven't come across many places other than this forum. I'm a late 20's pre-med student for what that's worth. I've changed careers to try to shift into medicine. Happy to chat anytime.

Hey
I am in my late 20s and I am starting this journey this Fall. What classes is everyone taking? I am taking general chem 1 and genetics this semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,

I am based out of the SF Bay Area. I'm early 30's. Single mom. I work at a few hospitals. I've been trying to find a way to connect with other non-traditional students. Are there resources besides this forum? I've attempted searching tags etc on social media such as Instagram but still keep coming across the early 20's pre-med students. Just looking to connect with those who have been through what I have or close to it and can relate while trying to get into medical school. Thanks!

Thirties, male, IL based, made the decision to pursue medicine a while ago and it is a journey to do some repair. I am not a parent and I prob cannot relate very much to what you have gone through. However, it’s a hell of a process and we are all battling together. Fight your fight. Remember, it’s the ones that are left standing after all the fire we have to walk through that are rewarded. Many quit, many choose not to start, many fail because they believe the negative comments that people throw at them, you are not one of those individuals. Battle and persevere. Every day it seems impossible, think of that day when that email and letter of acceptance comes. Wake up every morning, and envision that letter in your hands.

Reactions: 1 users
Welcome,

Also a non trad in the Allied Health field residing in Texas. This site and the Premed subreddit are probably your best options. How far along are you into your journey?

30 year old male, RN, Army vet

There is a good Facebook site for nontrad women that I find very affirming (I'm single, no kids, 31, but the group has a diversity of age ranges/family experiences). If you're interested in joining, send me your info via message, and I can send you an invite!

33, current 3rd year resident. Started medical school with 1 child and now we have 4.

Hi!

I will be 30 this year and this is my second year applying. I am a military vet and work as a Paramedic

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm 29, I'm working on post Bach classes now. Single, working full-time and taking classes part-time. This fall I will be taking Immunology and Social Psychology. Been on this journey for a few years now and will be for another 2-3 years yet.

I'm turning 28 in a few months. I've been on my GPA redemption journey since 2015. This long process has truly humbled me especially the hospital job I've been working at since 2016 (there are so many personalities/attitudes that I work with. I had to develop a thick skin which I'm still working on). This marathon can take a lot out of you if you don't have healthy coping mechanisms in place (I have had some low points). I'm learning to embrace the uncomfortable/challenging things because they're there for me/us to conquer them and to help me/us grow.

Hey.

I'm 30, pre-dental student. Finished undergrad in sociology, taking my dental school prereqs now at a local CC, as I am paying out of pocket with two jobs. Single, no kids. Long road ahead, but I'm excited.

Members don't see this ad :)
Single mom of 2, Pre-dental applying this cycle with no interviews yet. I'm in my later 30's. Working 4 jobs totaling 55 hours per week and a full-time class load. I have no other options but to succeed, but I can only attend my local school. Odds are stacked completely against me, but I need my kids to see this happen for us.

38, mom of 5, applying DO this cycle. BS in Biology in 2017 after a 15 year gap in school, finishing my MS in Biology in May 2019.

38, mom of 5, applying DO this cycle. BS in Biology in 2017 after a 15 year gap in school, finishing my MS in Biology in May 2019.
Every time I see your name all I can think is "Won buy a snappin turtle?"
snappingturtle.jpg

36 year old ... re-inventor with 3 II this cycle ... non-traditionals are starting to become more common

23y.o Male, NICU RN. I have a Wife and a Daughter. Finishing B.S.N in the beginning of May, and starting Med school prerequisites in the summer.
I work full-time but going to have my job pay for both my Bachelors and Prerequisite classes *Yay for continuing education initiatives*

There is a non-trad group for TMDSAS on facebook that is actually run by TMDSAS, so if you are looking for official sources of information regarding the process and how it relates to non-traditionals, it is a great resource.

Hi Tawny and everyone else!

I can relate to you. I have 2 children, 3 and 6, working full time while being in the college. Taking my last semester as senior, and will be applying next spring/summer.

I know it is tough but it pays off at the end. You can send me a private message if you would like to talk more :)

Almost 28 yr old female CNA. Been at this since January 2014 since I practically had to start my science and math courses from the very beginning (graduated with a Liberal Arts degree). It's been a heck of a road but I'm happy to finally see the end of it hopefully within the next year!

Had two jobs but recently quit the second to put more time into school and other activities. I go to school part-time at my local CC (also paying out of pocket) though I am looking at local universities to take my O-chem since my school offers it pretty much once a year (UGH!)

Good luck everyone!

Hello Everyone,

Maybe we can build on your thread? Aside from here you can also look on Reddit. They actually have some funny members and they are pretty supportive. When I am feeling a little apprehensive, one of their memes usually boosts me up. They also have vent threads. Sometimes we need a place to “unwind”(well, I do!). ;)

Almost 28 yr old female CNA. Been at this since January 2014 since I practically had to start my science and math courses from the very beginning (graduated with a Liberal Arts degree). It's been a heck of a road but I'm happy to finally see the end of it hopefully within the next year!

Had two jobs but recently quit the second to put more time into school and other activities. I go to school part-time at my local CC (also paying out of pocket) though I am looking at local universities to take my O-chem since my school offers it pretty much once a year (UGH!)

Good luck everyone!
Yes! Why do schools only offer some of the much needed courses once a year? I feel the same way about UMD; they only offer key upper division courses during the Spring...ie. Immunology, Genetics, BioChem. I am not waiting a year for ONE class b/c some med schools “prefer” it. Rather spend that year studying for the MCAT.

Yes! Why do schools only offer some of the much needed courses once a year? I feel the same way about UMD; they only offer key upper division courses during the Spring...ie. Immunology, Genetics, BioChem. I am not waiting a year for ONE class b/c some med schools “prefer” it. Rather spend that year studying for the MCAT.

Exactly! Drives me crazy but I know I would of had to transfer for boichemistry so it's not too inconvenient.

What does everyone do to keep the stress away? I like to exercise and have wine with friends.

Hello all,

I will be 30 this December and have finally decided to go for it. I am in south Florida and will be completing the remainder of my prereqs starting in spring 2019. My plan is to apply summer 2020.

from a fellow non-trad who was successful.....definitely check the schools your applying to about prereqs and whether or not they are required. consider focusing your energy and money on doing well on the mcat. Your life experience, work experience, maturity, and solid mcat score will be more impressive than some grades in prereqs. From my experience....it comes down to the mcat to see if you are ready "now" to begin b/c your life experience and age are indicators of EI and maturity that is suprisingly uncommon. Feel free to pm me if you have questions....you can do it!

from a fellow non-trad who was successful.....definitely check the schools your applying to about prereqs and whether or not they are required. consider focusing your energy and money on doing well on the mcat. Your life experience, work experience, maturity, and solid mcat score will be more impressive than some grades in prereqs. From my experience....it comes down to the mcat to see if you are ready "now" to begin b/c your life experience and age are indicators of EI and maturity that is suprisingly uncommon. Feel free to pm me if you have questions....you can do it!

I second this! I was accepted to 4 schools this year, with a very average MCAT score. Most schools place heavy emphasis on actual experience. I’m very happy I applied as a non trad! And I think it’s gonna help me be successful in Med school and as a physician

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Exactly! Drives me crazy but I know I would of had to transfer for boichemistry so it's not too inconvenient.

What does everyone do to keep the stress away? I like to exercise and have wine with friends.

Music! Love my Sirius(car rides w/ kids) and Spotify(at home). Need it to study; just helps me relax. I feel I can churn through way more problems this way. ;)

Now in my “free time”(to unwind), definitely chicharrones (bbq flavor), propel and Scrubs on Hulu. I recently was told about this show and love it. Currently on season 6! Lol

Our community also has ladies nights once a month which consists of playing catch phrase, Taboo, Jenga and few others and eating TONS of snacks!