OU application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get a job early. Get involved and make connections. If you think that you may want to do something post-grad, start early and really make yourself stand out. I highly suggest finding a faculty mentor to work with. I graduated from OU last year and am a resident there now. I went to the Tulsa campus.

Cyclo, when you say 'get a job early,' do you mean an internship somewhere? Are hospital internships hard to come by with such an influx of graduates? I'm jumping the gun, I know, but I want to be prepared since it's going to be a little tougher for us new graduates...

I appreciate your input. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Cyclo, when you say 'get a job early,' do you mean an internship somewhere? Are hospital internships hard to come by with such an influx of graduates? I'm jumping the gun, I know, but I want to be prepared since it's going to be a little tougher for us new graduates...

I appreciate your input. :)

Yes, I would try to get an intern position as soon as possible. I got one the fall of my P1 year and worked there until school was done. Hospital internships are very hard to find, but I know of hospitals that are currently hiring interns in both OKC and Tulsa, but you have to jump on them quick. I don't think you are jumping the gun, better to be too soon than too late.

Pretty much what cycloketocaine said... I'm joining a few organizations and plan to network as much as I can. I haven't gotten a job yet because I didn't want to overwhelm myself my first year, but I definitely plan on trying to get something eventually.

Also... are you sure y'all still wanna apply to OU? We're having earthquakes and tornadoes in the same night. :scared: :p

Last night was so unreal, but got to love Oklahoma :confused::p

I attended the admission workshop and most students said that the workload of pharmacy school doesn't compare to undergrad. How hard was your first year? how long did it take you to adjust, did you have to change your studying habbit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I have a question about your daily schedule. I knew students take block classes in graduate schools. How about pharmacy schools? Does each subject last all semester long? Thank you!

This year it does. We have five classes, and just like in undergrad we're in them through the semester. Some of the classes we take two hours at a time, but on the bright side we only meet once or twice a week. I've heard some P3s talk about modules, and I think those are a little different though. Cyclo would be able to explain those to you.

Last night was so unreal, but got to love Oklahoma :confused::p

I attended the admission workshop and most students said that the workload of pharmacy school doesn't compare to undergrad. How hard was your first year? how long did it take you to adjust, did you have to change your studying habbit?

Yeah, I can't wait until spring. ;) And I thought Texas had crazy weather...

Two things that helped me. 1). I took a lot of upper division science in undergrad, so a good amount of the stuff I'm seeing now I've at least been exposed to before. 2). I was involved and worked a lot in undergrad, so I had a good idea of how to prioritize things and balance my time.

The workload is definitely more than undergrad. For perspective... I took a neuro physiology class in undergrad, and our neuro section of physiology is covering about 80% of the content of that whole class in one exam. I used to cram a lot for exams in undergrad, but I personally couldn't do that now because of how much material we cover. I have to keep up and stay on top of things. Is it impossible? No. Does this mean I have zero social life? No. I still have time to be involved in organizations and go out with friends, but you just have to know how to balance that with your school responsibilities.

Anybody know what order they give out interview invitations in? Is it all at once or by submission date/stats? Thanks.

Anybody know what order they give out interview invitations in? Is it all at once or by submission date/stats? Thanks.

I'm not entirely positive, but I think it's somewhat by the submission date since it's a rolling admissions process.

This year it does. We have five classes, and just like in undergrad we're in them through the semester. Some of the classes we take two hours at a time, but on the bright side we only meet once or twice a week. I've heard some P3s talk about modules, and I think those are a little different though. Cyclo would be able to explain those to you.

Yeah, I can't wait until spring. ;) And I thought Texas had crazy weather...

Two things that helped me. 1). I took a lot of upper division science in undergrad, so a good amount of the stuff I'm seeing now I've at least been exposed to before. 2). I was involved and worked a lot in undergrad, so I had a good idea of how to prioritize things and balance my time.

The workload is definitely more than undergrad. For perspective... I took a neuro physiology class in undergrad, and our neuro section of physiology is covering about 80% of the content of that whole class in one exam. I used to cram a lot for exams in undergrad, but I personally couldn't do that now because of how much material we cover. I have to keep up and stay on top of things. Is it impossible? No. Does this mean I have zero social life? No. I still have time to be involved in organizations and go out with friends, but you just have to know how to balance that with your school responsibilities.

Thank you for your info. That sounds pretty intense. I wonder if the Professors provide notes to you guys. Do you have to get extra information from the books or the instructors gives very good lectures which cover everything you need to know for the test?

Nothing on my end yet. I'm banking on next week. :xf:
Okayyyyy, I think you are right. So far I have checked my school email, my home email, and OU app acount, nothing new! Hopefully it will be next Monday. Can't wait much longerrrrrrr!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your info. That sounds pretty intense. I wonder if the Professors provide notes to you guys. Do you have to get extra information from the books or the instructors gives very good lectures which cover everything you need to know for the test?

I don't know if this changes in future semesters, but this semester I really didn't use the books at all. We have pretty thorough notes supplied by our professors. Sometimes they'll make points in lecture that aren't on the notes, but I don't think there's been something on an exam that was straight from the book and not from the notes or lectures. The books can be a good supplement if you like to see things put in a different way though.

I don't know if this changes in future semesters, but this semester I really didn't use the books at all. We have pretty thorough notes supplied by our professors. Sometimes they'll make points in lecture that aren't on the notes, but I don't think there's been something on an exam that was straight from the book and not from the notes or lectures. The books can be a good supplement if you like to see things put in a different way though.

lol. That would be a great help! Thanks again!

I like that you don't have to rely on books that much.

How about when you have to watch lectures from Tulsa campus, is it a bit disorienting? is there a professor present in the class that can answer your questions?

I like that you don't have to rely on books that much.

How about when you have to watch lectures from Tulsa campus, is it a bit disorienting? is there a professor present in the class that can answer your questions?

No and yes respectively. There are many quality instructors based on the Tulsa campus that are willing to answer questions.

Nothing here either. My email about the app being received was sent right at noon central time so I'm betting if they send them today that will be when. I applied in October so I'm not expecting to get an early date but we'll see! Good luck everybody!

Did you guys hear anything yet?:scared:
Nothing yet. :eek:

I was looking over the 2015 application thread and it looks like the 1st round of invits was emailed on the 15th... and that's TOMORROW!

Last edited:
Last year they sent out invitations on the 15th and it was a Monday. What happened this year? Does that mean we will have the interview during the final week? I hope that is not the option, because I hate to have so many important stuff going on at the same time.
:(:scared::(:scared: :(:scared:

Yeah, I was kind of hoping we'd get the emails today. Ce la vie. Perhaps tomorrow. My iPhone is tired of me pushing for email updates, haha.

Yeah, I was kind of hoping we'd get the emails today. Ce la vie. Perhaps tomorrow. My iPhone is tired of me pushing for email updates, haha.

Hahaha! Agreed, I swear I've been checking my e-mail like every 5 minutes!!

Last edited:
PharmCAS verified my application today. I'm an out of state applicant and would love to attend OU! It would be great to move back to Oklahoma and continue my pursuit of a career in pharmacy. I'm really interested in the nuclear pharmacy track. This is such an exciting time!

I also applied at OU and am excited to hear something. We are expatriots living out of state right now but I am an Oklahoman trying to get back there. The world is great but there is nothing like Oklahoma to me. I was hoping that we would hear something yesterday as well.

Nothing on my end, but I applied in October.

You know what would be a good idea? If one of us calls OU and ask them when they're sending out interview invites.

called Student Affairs and she said they're currently reviewing the applications, and will be sending them out "within the next couple of weeks"

so who knows

Thanks for calling! I guess we'll get them when we get them.

called Student Affairs and she said they're currently reviewing the applications, and will be sending them out "within the next couple of weeks"

so who knows
And I thought I submitted my applications too late! Thanks for the info.!

Just got my invite. Burnt my neck on my curling iron trying to scramble to my laptop when my husband told me. Haha. December 10th, gosh I'm nervous!

Congrats, it's so exciting! :thumbup:

Are you planning to attend the Tulsa campus?

I got my interview invite today as well! December 17th OKC campus! Congrats everyone! :) :)

Just checked email this morning and I got my interview invite. December 17th, OKC campus. :D

I submitted my application by the first week of October and it was reviewed by admissions by second week of October and still haven't heard back yet :( I'm from out of state (Texas) so can that be why I haven't heard back yet. I'm getting a bit worried :scared:

When did you all submit your applications in?