PITT (IS) vs TUFTS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tooth*fairy

Reaction score
PITT (IS) vs TUFTS
PITT (IS)
Pros:
  • Smaller class size (80)
  • More personable throughout the interview process
  • Currently know an older student from undergrad who is at Pitt now
  • 4 hours from home
  • Support in the area
  • family environment at Pitt
  • lower cost and free public transportation as a student
Cons:
  • Smaller city
  • Further from significant other (9hr drive or a flight)
  • Land-locked,further from other major cities, places to see, beaches
TUFTS
Pros:
  • Better location, more to do/ explore in Boston and surrounding area
  • 1 hour from significant other and his family
  • Well-known name
  • multiple close friends in the area for graduate school or work
  • extended family in the area
  • students felt faculty was accomadating during life challenges/hardships
  • newer pre-clinic and clinic areas
Cons:
  • Larger class size
  • Cost
  • slightly further from home (5.5 hrs)
I understand cost is a huge factor but I am trying to look at some factors beyond that. My mentors have told me to go to the cheaper school or the school that is going to provide me with the best clinical education. Pitt said their clinic is based on just competency which I do not fully understand and Tufts has more quantitative requirements that my mentor said seemed decent. At both schools students have told me clinic is what you make out of it. I think I want to specialize in pediatrics and both schools have pediatric clinics. I have support in both areas and distance is pretty similar. The drive it Pitt is easier but the hour and a half difference to Boston is not a big deal to me. I calculated the est. cost different to be about 150k at the end of 4 years, it includes overestimations and the estimated rent and living expenses. I may have some financial help from family and I currently do not have any debt from undergrad. A big factor is my significant other being closer to Tufts, he is in law school so being closer would make it easier to see each other more frequently. I think I would happier in Boston and experience more personal growth being in a bigger city like Boston. I do love Boston but I do not know if the cost can be justified. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Tufts has a much much larger class compared to Pitt. I would highly suggest you attend Pitt instead of Tufts. UPitts airport is also pretty decent flying out and shouldn’t be too difficult to find a time to go home.

Don’t go to Tufts, I think you’d be overwhelmed with Boston, how expensive everything is, and how big the class is. It’s the second largest dental school class in the country.

Reactions: 1 user
PITT (IS) vs TUFTS
PITT (IS)
Pros:
  • Smaller class size (80)
  • More personable throughout the interview process
  • Currently know an older student from undergrad who is at Pitt now
  • 4 hours from home
  • Support in the area
  • family environment at Pitt
  • lower cost and free public transportation as a student
Cons:
  • Smaller city
  • Further from significant other (9hr drive or a flight)
  • Land-locked,further from other major cities, places to see, beaches
TUFTS
Pros:
  • Better location, more to do/ explore in Boston and surrounding area
  • 1 hour from significant other and his family
  • Well-known name
  • multiple close friends in the area for graduate school or work
  • extended family in the area
  • students felt faculty was accomadating during life challenges/hardships
  • newer pre-clinic and clinic areas
Cons:
  • Larger class size
  • Cost
  • slightly further from home (5.5 hrs)
I understand cost is a huge factor but I am trying to look at some factors beyond that. My mentors have told me to go to the cheaper school or the school that is going to provide me with the best clinical education. Pitt said their clinic is based on just competency which I do not fully understand and Tufts has more quantitative requirements that my mentor said seemed decent. At both schools students have told me clinic is what you make out of it. I think I want to specialize in pediatrics and both schools have pediatric clinics. I have support in both areas and distance is pretty similar. The drive it Pitt is easier but the hour and a half difference to Boston is not a big deal to me. I calculated the est. cost different to be about 150k at the end of 4 years, it includes overestimations and the estimated rent and living expenses. I may have some financial help from family and I currently do not have any debt from undergrad. A big factor is my significant other being closer to Tufts, he is in law school so being closer would make it easier to see each other more frequently. I think I would happier in Boston and experience more personal growth being in a bigger city like Boston. I do love Boston but I do not know if the cost can be justified. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
that's called a clue...

Members don't see this ad :)
I went through something similar when I applying for dental school. Long story short, my dad put his foot down and said the additional debt for the same amount of dental training was not necessary. Looking back I'm glad he did that because he was not wrong and I was in over my head.
Your education and ability to specialize will come down to what you make of dental school (grades, extracurriculars, seeking mentorship, taking on harder cases, research, etc). The quality of life in Boston is appealing but you will be busy with dental school and without a consistent income it is hard to enjoy an expensive city. The good memories you make of life outside of dental school will be spent with your close friends/classmates and that can be experienced in any city.

Pitt is my vote.

Reactions: 3 users