OUCOM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey...I used to get those monthly e-mails! I wonder if my stupid SpamBlocker has been catching them and I haven't noticed.

Thanks!

Willow~

Members don't see this ad.

OH wow! I'm already reading one of the recommended books on the list!! The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down--excellent book. I started reading it one day when I was spending 8 hrs straight giving anatomy exams. UGH!

Anyway, the book is about a Hmong family with an epileptic child. The American doctors have absolutely no comprehension of the Hmong culture (much less language) and cannot understand why the family is not complying with the girl's treatment plan. I'm about halfway through it now. Hopefully, I'll finish it while giving finals this week!

Members don't see this ad :)
WillowRose said:
Hey...I used to get those monthly e-mails! I wonder if my stupid SpamBlocker has been catching them and I haven't noticed.

Thanks!

Willow~

yea it probably was caught by the spam blocker. Jill sent a message on that chat thing that says that a lot of them bounced back due to spam blockers.

OU may be able to help if you've already had the vaccinations, but can't document them. They might be able to do a titer at low cost - I'm still working on this. They're also doing the HEP B for $35 a shot, if you can be in Athens during the summer and get to the few summer clinic hours they have each week, and they do the Tb test or followup at low cost.

This compared to $50 a shot for HEP B at Franklin Co Health Dept in Columbus, $45 a shot for MMR, $25 for Td, I forget how much for Tb screen. Its close to $300 for the mandatory shots. I'm starting to realize the value of Peace Corps's freebie - I've had almost everything except smallpox and anthrax, and to get almost everything would come out close to $1000.

I'm all for unpaid labor if I'm trying to learn something, but having to pay a lot of money to work for nothing is insulting.

BTW Eva does this mean that you have been pulled off the waitlist?

Well, my husband and I had most of the required vaccines before we travelled to Vietnam the first time. Unfortunately, the doctor who provided them retired and then died the next month! So....I just have to talk to someone with access to the archived records so I can document those. So far, I think the only thing I may have a problem showing is history of chickenpox. I'd just get the shot, but I want to read up a little more before I do. I'd hate to end up with shingles because I purposely exposed myself to the virus!

The health dept here is fairly cheap. I know they told me that adults could get the Hep B series for about $27 per injection. I can document 2 of those, but the first one I got when I worked at a hospital, so I'm just going to get another one to make sure that I have 3 documented shots. I'd rather not spend money on a titer if I can accomplish the same thing with less money!

It's too bad they won't take a Hep A in place of one of the Hep B's! I've had that one. Bleh...looks like I'm going to be getting 1 Hep B, an MMR, and the TB test. Possibly the varicella vax. Just gave my microbiology final today and while I was grading papers, I thought "Man, they're going to make me prove I'm not pregnant before they'll give me an MMR!" Sometimes it sucks being a girrrrrrrl!!

Willow~

Well, my husband and I had most of the required vaccines before we travelled to Vietnam the first time. Unfortunately, the doctor who provided them retired and then died the next month! So....I just have to talk to someone with access to the archived records so I can document those. So far, I think the only thing I may have a problem showing is history of chickenpox. I'd just get the shot, but I want to read up a little more before I do. I'd hate to end up with shingles because I purposely exposed myself to the virus!

The health dept here is fairly cheap. I know they told me that adults could get the Hep B series for about $27 per injection. I can document 2 of those, but the first one I got when I worked at a hospital, so I'm just going to get another one to make sure that I have 3 documented shots. I'd rather not spend money on a titer if I can accomplish the same thing with less money!

It's too bad they won't take a Hep A in place of one of the Hep B's! I've had that one. Bleh...looks like I'm going to be getting 1 Hep B, an MMR, and the TB test. Possibly the varicella vax. Just gave my microbiology final today and while I was grading papers, I thought "Man, they're going to make me prove I'm not pregnant before they'll give me an MMR!" Sometimes it sucks being a girrrrrrrl!!

Willow~

I just signed up for that BLS course that we have to have. My advice is to try to find one somewhere other than Athens. They are charging $35 for it and I am getting it for $7.50

DORoe said:
Did you guys see on the OUCOM currents the summer reading that we are supposed to do. We have these on the list for those of you that don't get the OUCOM Currents

The DO's by Gevitz
How The Immune System Works by Lauren M. Sompayrac
The Scalpel and the Silver Bear : The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing by Elizbeth Cohen Van Pelt and Lori Alvord, M.D.

There are a couple of other recommended books as well. Plus I see that we are going to be getting our COMrade assignments here pretty soon.

Do not waste you time reading any of those books, unless you're just really bored. The Sompayrac book is excellent, however I'd hold off on reading it until you're in B&I block.

:( :scared: :thumbdown: :mad:

TWO scouting trips and still no suitable housing!?!?!?!?

I am now on panic mode.

Maybe my wife will find something between now and Thursday? Maybe?

Please?

Rick

SolisR said:
:( :scared: :thumbdown: :mad:
TWO scouting trips and still no suitable housing!?!?!?!?
I am now on panic mode.
Maybe my wife will find something between now and Thursday? Maybe?
Please?
Rick

Hey Rick,
I don't know if you've seen the housing websites or not for OUCOM but here goes. http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/housing/
http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/sservices/additionalhousing
Sorry if you've tried these already... BTW, I'm leaving my apartment at the end of August, PM if you are interested. Dayton, here I come! If you tell me what you're looking for I can ask my fellow 2nd years.... but we're all leaving at the end of August.

Alex

Members don't see this ad :)
Shinken said:

OK....I'm a little confused! The checklist says get the TB test completed by June 1, 2004. Didn't the paper we got in the mail say we had to wait until *after* June 1 to get it done?

Maybe I should just plan on having mine read on June 1 so I can cover my a$$!! LOL Sheesh! A little consistency would be nice.

And is it just me.......or is anyone else a little peeved that they can't seem to decide when they are going to decide who is accepted into the PCC track?

Willow (getting quite frustrated with job/house-hunting)

WillowRose said:
is anyone else a little peeved that they can't seem to decide when they are going to decide who is accepted into the PCC track?

If it makes you feel any better.... I know of no one in the last 2 years who applied to the PCC and didn't get "accepted". In fact, if a student repeats the first year, he or she may choose PCC to attempt a different learning style. Don't be fooled, it's not competitive. It's not an honors curriculum (some people think that when applying), they'll take anyone. Trust me, I was in it for a few weeks. Of the original group of students accepted, approximately 5 people will switch over to CPC in the first week. Then they will open the floodgates. Hope this eases your stress....
ATnS

drdrtoledo said:
Hey Rick,
I don't know if you've seen the housing websites or not for OUCOM but here goes. [...]
Sorry if you've tried these already... [...] If you tell me what you're looking for I can ask my fellow 2nd years.... but we're all leaving at the end of August.

Alex

Thanks Alex,

We've already looked at those. I have a wife and three year old daughter as well as a dog and a couple of cats. I seek a two(+) beedroom house, preferably outside of the Athens city limits. Pets are really limiting our choices. I don't mind a commute.

The wife has been up there the last two days. She looked at 18+ homes, and everything is either too expensive or a &^&#-hole, or both.

As I said, panic is setting in....

Rick

Have you all looked at the computer requirements? What in the world are they doing that requires us to have at least a 1.2 GHz processor?? I just bought a new laptop a couple of years ago and I really wanted to save $2000. My husband is looking forward to a new portable DVD player while I'm wondering where I'm going to find a computer under 5 pounds that meets those specs and doesn't cost a fortune!

Rick...I'm going to send you a PM about an option that Jill Harman told me about. We're still looking for employment, so housing is too far in the future for us to worry about right now... I'm beyond the point of panic. I'm nearly catatonic!

Willow

WillowRose said:
Have you all looked at the computer requirements? What in the world are they doing that requires us to have at least a 1.2 GHz processor?? I just bought a new laptop a couple of years ago and I really wanted to save $2000.

If your computer is capable of reading CDR's, Using word, adobe acrobat, and excel... then you have the curriculum covered. A good internet connection to download the 10gig powerpoints off the Web CT site is good too. Rest assured that there is access to a computer if you need somthing more. The LRC computers are top of the line, have CD burners, use Zip disks, and run good software. They are seldom full... maybe during peak "in between class" hours. Hardly anyone is there after 5pm. Worst case, there are hundreds of computers scattered around the university within walking distance. What you have should suffice... don't spend the money. Just make sure you have a couple of gigs free on your harddrive. Anything else (I can't think of anything) can be done in the LRC.
ATnS

Thank you! That's what I needed to hear! I have a ton of free space on my hard drive (until I fill it up again)--just reformatted the C drive. The one I have is quite capable of the things you mentioned and I *think* already has the card for the wireless network, which was another problem I was having in looking at new ones.

Guess hubby is going to have to wait a while on the new DVD player! LOL

Willow~

Hey guys does anyone know when we are supposed to hear back from the PCC? I got my info about my COMrade and they are in the PCC. Do you think this means that I am accepted into it?

They made decisions last week and were supposed to mailing out decisions. I still haven't heard anything, but my COMrade was in the PCC too. Who knows? I just e-mailed them and asked what was going on.

The current issue of In Touch says they made decisions on 31 students, so......24 accepted and 6 alternates?

Your COMrade being in the PCC should be a good indicator that you are in. I also got a PCC COMrade.

Rick

SolisR said:
Your COMrade being in the PCC should be a good indicator that you are in. I also got a PCC COMrade.

Rick

This is true 99% of the time.

BUMP

I want to revive this thread because the OU-COMmunity chat web page is seriously dead.

Who's also in the PCC track?

Did you guys check out the WebCT page? Pretty cool stuff. My wife doesn't appreciate that I spent so much time downloading and looking at stuff, but for me it's pretty exciting to get a glimpse of what's ahead.

Are people still thinking of getting together before classes start? I think that'll be a great way to know some classmates before the madness of orientation starts.

See you all soon!

im going to give the PCC a shot. I have a few reservations about it, but after talking to my COMrade I have decided that it might suit me really well. I am all for getting together somewhere. We should go on Monday night before classes or something like that. BW3's gets my vote but wherever you guys want to go is fine with me.

I'm all over the PCC. FWIW, I sat in in group last month and really liked it. I think it'll fit my learning style better.

As far as getting together, I would also like to do this. I'm moving my wife to Athens next week, Then I'll go back for good on the fist week in August.

Rick

Classes are around the corner. Anyone up to getting together before orientation?

Rick

I think we are going to meet monday night before orientation at casa nueva. There is an old thread that tells the exact time and all of that good stuff. That thread is in the osteo forum.