"Our Ailing Health Care"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted87716

Worth a look: http://www.ourailinghealthcare.com/

Our Health Care System is beyond broken or sick. It's dumb. We spend more than twice as much per capita than most developed countries, the taxpayer is already paying for 60% of the total bill, and, by any measure of public health, our results are poor. Driven by technology and fear of liability, physicians order tests and treatments without regard for cost. Patients and families embrace unreasonable expectations. Drug companies successfully market expensive drugs that, at best, are marginally more effective than less expensive, older ones. As our primary care providers continue to disappear, increasing fragmentation of care, costs will rise and outcomes will worsen. Most significantly, the insurance industry adds nothing to "health" and greatly to total cost, which is increasingly a burden to our economy and threat to the financial solvency of our government. What's more, our State government are having to divert money to health care from education, infrastructure and protecting the environment, all of which may have more impact on the health of our society than access to a doctor.

Achieving "Universal Access", which is a moral imperative, without focusing on controling cost is a prescription for disaster.

There are many lawmakers in powerful positions who understand this, but cower to the "political wisdom" that people don't want single payer and the lobbyists will defeat them in the next round of elections if they speak their truth. WE need to educate the public and educate our politicians so they will show real leadership to transform our health care system in a postive manner.

Our health care system should be more about health and less about money. Instead of chaos, driven by profits, somebody needs to be in charge of making sure we are getting the most health and the least suffering for our public health care dollars.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It always pisses me off when people lump obvious good ideas (e.g., eat right, exercise, quit smoking...basically just take good care of yourself...duh) in with totally useless things (Qi Gong...? Give me a freakin' break) as if they were all equivalent.

Of course, I'd expect nothing less from an article co-authored by that lot.

The fact that this is receiving national attention only shows that politicians are as gullible as everyone else.

Paradoxically, it is the huge amounts of money spent on many of these procedures, such as the angioplasty example from the WSJ article above, that will make it difficult to reduce their usage. That much income will not be given up without a fight, regardless of societal costs or lack of effectiveness.

seriusly,
it seems government has unlimited amount of money
i mean they can bail anyone out with any amount of money it seems