out of state friendly medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbunt12

BBUNT12
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of us from the larger states it is a bit more of a challenge to obtain an acceptance to an in-state school. Does anybody know of any particular medical schools who seem to be more friendly to out-of-state applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

well, of course, none of the private medical schools give preference to instate. some of them give locals a slight nod because they know they are committed to the region, but that is optional on their part.

i do not think funding grants from the feds require them to give any local preference.

as for state schools that are friendly to OOS applicants, will watch this thread for that. i was accepted OOS at SUNY Buffalo, and i do not have rocket stats, for what that's worth.

Members don't see this ad :)
The MSAR wil tell you how many OOS interviews a school granted last cycle. Sometimes thats a little misleading since technically OOS peeps will have substantial connections to the state, but in general lots of OOS interviews/matriculants= OOS friendly.

You may have to double check this, but I do believe both Georgetown and George Washington do. :)

You may have to double check this, but I do believe both Georgetown and George Washington do. :)

they are PRIVATE medical schools. the VAST majority of their acceptances are OOS, as with all private schools.

being from DC, wish it weren't so.

The University of Louisville added 10 extra seats this year specifically for OOS students.

Miami is private, but still gives a preference to in-state students. However, they are increasing the number of OOS acceptees.

Anything in virginia: VCU, UVA and EVMS all have a large portion of their class from OOS. For instance at VCU, 40% of each class is from out of state.

And I only speak from personal experience:
Boston University, Tufts and the University of Southern California are pretty OOS friendly...then again they're private schools ($$$!). :(

again, it is silly to list private schools here.

they have no requirement to accept anyone IN STATE. most of their acceptances are OOS. the only reason they accept a slightly larger percentage of local people is IF they want to predict that you might come there because you have an affiliation with the area. OR if they think you might stay in the area to practice, which is sort of the same thing.

there is no "preference" for instate or "lack of preference" for OOS at private schools. State schools are REQUIRED by their state government to accept a certain percentage of the class from the state. accordingly, you often can get in with lower stats.

they have no requirement to accept anyone IN STATE. most of their acceptances are OOS. the only reason they accept a slightly larger percentage of local people is IF they want to predict that you might come there because you have an affiliation with the area. OR if they think you might stay in the area to practice, which is sort of the same thing.

there is no "preference" for instate or "lack of preference" for OOS at private schools. State schools are REQUIRED by their state government to accept a certain percentage of the class from the state. accordingly, you often can get in with lower stats.

Well, Baylor is private and does have a strong in-state bias (76% Texas residents). So, OP, there's one that you can cross off your list.

Some private schools like UMiami & Loyola till get funding from state governments in exchange for accepting for ex.) ~80% at UM and at least ~50% at Loyola....I don't know the exact % it is in the MSAR though...I think RUSH also gets funding which is why they accept like ~85% IL residents

Members don't see this ad :)

Mercer is private and only accepts GA applicants- and most of the class seems to be EDP

Some private schools like UMiami & Loyola till get funding from state governments in exchange for accepting for ex.) ~80% at UM and at least ~50% at Loyola....I don't know the exact % it is in the MSAR though...I think RUSH also gets funding which is why they accept like ~85% IL residents

now that is very useful information. i am sure there are others like that. but they are still the exception, rather than the rule, i bet.

UMaryland?
I seem to remember them saying that while they do get state funding and accept a lot of in-state, they have no "quota" for OOS or IS. ANd I'm pretty sure they do accept a decently high percentage of OOS.

UMaryland?
I seem to remember them saying that while they do get state funding and accept a lot of in-state, they have no "quota" for OOS or IS. ANd I'm pretty sure they do accept a decently high percentage of OOS.

2011 is 160 kids, 81% IS. 78% in 2010's class. They do give preference for IS according to their FAQs. I think someone said that OOS are evaluated separately, though?

I wouldn't call it silly- not all private schools behave the way you'd think. Alot of negotiating with state governments puts some private schools in a contract to accept in-state students in order to meet doctor demands/shortages in their state in exchange for public hospital space and some state money. I'm a Floridian and I know the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine is in this situation, and from the looks of the other posts some other private schools do this too :p

Either way I think the OP should be the judge of where s/he wants to put his/her money down for application materials & plane tickets. They ask- we post.

OHSU accepts a lot of oos students, but they seem to require pretty high stats if you're oos. UVermont also accepts a lot of oos students just because they have such a small number of instate students.

Most other state schools seem to feel about 10 to 20% of their class with oos students with a general preference for students with ties to the state. If you're interested in specific stats, check out USNews or the MSAR.

Penn State. As far as public schools go I'm pretty sure they are the most OOS friendly, bonus for having reasonable stats. The MSAR I have (08-09) said the class was 50% OOS, but when I interviewed there, the M1 giving the tour said his class was more like 65% OOS. Plus there were only 2 PA residents out of about 16 or so interviewees.

the only acceptance i have so far is a state school as an OOS. go figure.

SUNY Buffalo Class of 2012!!!!!

Usually all privates are somewhat OOS friendly. As for state schools, I know a couple(UWash) have preference for ppl from certain states(Montana and etc). The SUNYs are relatively state friendly (I have had interviews at SUNY Buffalo and Downstate) or at least for CA residents. At both schools, there was a large number of CA ppl interviewing(but then again it could be that CA ppl are the only ones that have to apply to nonCA state schools).

University of Iowa is very friendly to out of staters. I'm from California and so is a significant amount of their class of 2007. I was accepted this year and I even received a dean's scholarship. So I would recommend applying there. Good luck!

University of Iowa is very friendly to out of staters. I'm from California and so is a significant amount of their class of 2007. I was accepted this year and I even received a dean's scholarship. So I would recommend applying there. Good luck!

Really? Their admin stat info is pretty high, so is it higher for OOS and if so, what is it around?

Some of us from the larger states it is a bit more of a challenge to obtain an acceptance to an in-state school. Does anybody know of any particular medical schools who seem to be more friendly to out-of-state applicants?

I looked over all the applicant/interviewee/acceptance ratios for schools when I was applying and found that the SUNY schools are probably the most OOS friendly [state] schools. The other cool thing is that they give you state residency for financial aid purposes after a year so I'm actually paying less here overall than if I went to the state school where I'm from (although its because that school is relatively expensive for a state school)

Well, Baylor is private and does have a strong in-state bias (76% Texas residents). So, OP, there's one that you can cross off your list.

Baylor is one of a few private schools in the nation that receives state funding, so they are obligated to accept a large percentage of in state. BUT they do still accept way more OOS than most public schools. Baylor is private but is less expensive than most public schools... And it's easy to get in state status in Texas for your last three years.

Really? Their admin stat info is pretty high, so is it higher for OOS and if so, what is it around?

I don't think it's higher for OOS. They did not mention that on my interview day. I think they have a class of 150 and at least 30 were from California. I know they have a in state waitlist and and OOS waitlist.

U mich and U pitt are two "public" schools with great OOS preference.

The Ohio public schools in general are pretty generous to OOS students. There are enough schools in Ohio to spread out the IS students that the OOS population generally averages ~40% and it is possible to get IS tuition after the first year. I'd look at:

Toledo (formerly Medical College/University of Ohio)
Ohio State
Cinci