Out of state schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecbprept4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at applying in schools down in Florida and Texas but on ptcas it says that they only accept 10% or less out of state at a few. Is this true? And if so is there any point in applying?

Members don't see this ad.

True, and that depends how bad you really want to go and what your stats are.

It depends. Some schools just get more applicants that are in state. You have to read their website and see if they prefer to have in state students. For instance, East Carolina University specially saids that they barely ever accept students out of state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally, when you see statistics like that, just realize it is UBER competitive to get into those schools as an out of state student. Meeting the minimums or averages for the schools won't be enough, you will generally need to be an exceptional out of state student. (I go to an in state school and we have about 10 out of state students....and yes, they all had near perfect applications)

Check if those schools specifically restrict or have different standards for out-of-state students. They might just get less out-of-state applicants but look at all applications the same. I was an out-of-state student at a TX school that looked at all applications the same, whether they were in-state or out-of-state, but they had less out-of-state applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
you are right I probably wouldnt apply out of stat unless I was someonwhere like NJ which has 4 (5 now I think) schools 2 of those take much of their own students. Really only Rutgers as a choice. You have to apply to schools that have at least 25% out of state and with my grades I would be looking at schools that have at least 35% percent out of state.