Out-of-state vs in-state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. My question: how do i find out if certain schools prefer out-of-state vs in-state students. I check schools last years stats on PTCAS. Is that just last years out-of-state vs in state statistics? Or just they're general out vs in state acceptance trend? I'm in New York and I'm looking to apply to out-of-state schools that accept a large percentage of out-of-state schools. Any advice? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally schools should say if they prefer in-state or out-of-state students. I've found that information on the program's website, but you can always contact the school to find out. I applied mostly to out of state programs, and I tended to apply to private schools that were out of state, unless I had above average GPA and GRE scores for the public schools. I assumed that public schools would prefer in-state students.

I wouldn't rely on the out vs in state acceptance percentages. It's likely that a majority of students will be in-state for most schools, but that doesn't mean that the school prefers in-state students. So a private school that accepted 85% in-state students last year may not actually prefer in-state students, but most of the applications may have been from in-state students.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely contact the programs directly if they don't state preferences on their website. Acceptance or enrollment percentages aren't reliable indicators- one school I looked at enrolls 98% in-state students, but has no preference for in-state vs. out-of-state.