Out-of-state vs in-state

Started by aquah
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aquah

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey. My question: how do i find out if certain schools prefer out-of-state vs in-state students. I check schools last years stats on PTCAS. Is that just last years out-of-state vs in state statistics? Or just they're general out vs in state acceptance trend? I'm in New York and I'm looking to apply to out-of-state schools that accept a large percentage of out-of-state schools. Any advice? Thanks.
 
Generally schools should say if they prefer in-state or out-of-state students. I've found that information on the program's website, but you can always contact the school to find out. I applied mostly to out of state programs, and I tended to apply to private schools that were out of state, unless I had above average GPA and GRE scores for the public schools. I assumed that public schools would prefer in-state students.

I wouldn't rely on the out vs in state acceptance percentages. It's likely that a majority of students will be in-state for most schools, but that doesn't mean that the school prefers in-state students. So a private school that accepted 85% in-state students last year may not actually prefer in-state students, but most of the applications may have been from in-state students.
 
Definitely contact the programs directly if they don't state preferences on their website. Acceptance or enrollment percentages aren't reliable indicators- one school I looked at enrolls 98% in-state students, but has no preference for in-state vs. out-of-state.