Outdated HCE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vivalabrea

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an older (29) computer science student but after school am looking at attending PA school. I worked as a CNA for about 4 years, with the most recent hours worked having been 6 years ago. I have continued to stay in the healthcare field but do not have direct patient care and work closely with employees rather than patients. My question is, if I intend to apply to PA school, will my past CNA experience count as health care experience or is it too outdated? I want to work with patients but my fiance is currently in school so I'm supporting our family until he finishes and my current job pays significantly more than CNA, EMT and phlebotomy positions and I can't afford the pay cut right now. Advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Each school will have different criteria for HCE. Some programs don't require any HCE. I'm looking at the website for one program (case western) and it doesn't specify any time frame for the 1,000 hours they require.

I have read that some schools require HCE to be within the past 10 years, but also you have other life experiences you can drawn upon from. You can definitely use your background as a CNA as a reason you chose to apply to PA school, if it has influenced you. I don't think you need to go back and renew your CNA because your family depends on you financially. I would do your best to find time get involved in your community and continue staying committed to the profession such as through scholarly readings and perhaps taking some course refreshers to feel more ready to go back to school.