outfit for doctor shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobbyT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What should I wear for shadowing a doctor? Scrubs? Shirt and Tie?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the environment, but I think a tie would be a bit much. I did business casual, as instructed by the doctor I shadowed. Some places require you to wear scrubs if it is a "formal" arrangement.

Depends on the environment, but I think a tie would be a bit much. I did business casual, as instructed by the doctor I shadowed. Some places require you to wear scrubs if it is a "formal" arrangement.
Well, they say dress for the job you want (eventually), so obviously a white coat and a stethescope would be appropriate.

On a more serious note, you would probably be fine with slacks and a polo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'd say it depends. For surgery I wore scrubs, for other specialties I just wore slacks and polo.

I had to wear : formal clothes - tie + white coat

Just ask the physician whom you are goin to shadow, he/she would let you know if they have a preference.

Depakote is right on. I have worn a tie and white coat (per Doctor's request), and I have also been provided scrubs when they were needed. Moral of the story, ask the doctor what the expectation is, if that isn't possible, just wear a shirt and tie, or the female equivalent.

What should I wear for shadowing a doctor? Scrubs? Shirt and Tie?

For men:

- Wife beater shirt, jeans with holes, jeans that go down to the lower portion of the butt, unwashed hair, unshaved face and unbrushed teeth.

For Females:

- short shorts so your ass shows, a low cut shirt that shows 75% of your boobs

In all seriousness, just wear business causual clothes. For men, dress shoes, dress pants and a nice shirt. It doesn't hurt to wear tie.

For men:

- Wife beater shirt, jeans with holes, jeans that go down to the lower portion of the butt, unwashed hair, unshaved face and unbrushed teeth.

For Females:

This applies to interviews as well.

For men:

For Females:

In all seriousness, just wear business causual clothes. For men, dress shoes, dress pants and a nice shirt. It doesn't hurt to wear tie.

Wouldn't it be easier to go with the birthday suit?

every place I shadow I wear the same thing: khaki's and a dress shirt (no tie). I just think the tie would be over-doing it a little. it's not like you have to get GQ for patients, as they most likely won't even notice you half the time haha

every place I shadow I wear the same thing: khaki's and a dress shirt (no tie). I just think the tie would be over-doing it a little. it's not like you have to get GQ for patients, as they most likely won't even notice you half the time haha

It isn't about patients noticing you at all. Its about giving the person that you will be shadowing respect.

Look at what the doctor wears and base yourself off of that. If the doctor wears a shirt and tie then you might want to wear a shirt and tie. If the doctor is a little more casual in their work attire (the Sports Medicine doc I shadowed wore a dress pant or khakis and a polo every day typically with tennis shoes) then go a little more casual. I think it kinda depends where you are in the country for what is appropriate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wore slacks, a shirt, and a tie to every one of my numerous shadowing trips even though they were all with family friends or people I knew well. Like Depakote says, it's always better to be overdressed.

When I shadowed a Family Physician, I just wore dress pants, a dress shirt and a tie. Basically the same thing he wore. The physician should let you know.

brioni suit + red power tie = win

if you're gonna be a doctor, you gotta show you mean business.

End this thread right here:

OP, call the office (or email the doc) and ASK. Its that simple. They will tell you what to wear. Every one of the docs i shadowed requested I wear a dress shirt and tie. Some even gave me a white coat to put on over the shirt and tie.

Don't wear a tie! Slacks and a nice shirt should suffice....

I would wear a vest without a shirt underneath and really tight leather pants

That's what I wore for my shadowing and I got a really god LOR from the Dr.

The first day at least, I would wear a nice pair of pants, a dress shirt, a nice pair of shoes, and a tie if you want. And the subsequent days, you could just see what everyone else wears and dress accordingly.

Depends on the context. In an outpatient clinic, I just wear normal, professional clothes - basically, anything but jeans. In a hospital, a white coat is more appropriate.

Up to you.

Avoid anything with "ass-less" in the description. Believe me, your patients will thank you.

All I wore was a fur coat and some high heels when I shadowed at Sacred Heart.

pimp.jpg

In medical school you are expected to be in a shirt and tie for all clinical situations unless otherwise instructed. To not do so is considered unprofessional, and I have seen many a medical student publicly and verbally rebuked for not dressing up enough.

It's wise to set the same precedent as a shadowing pre-med. For the first time showing up to shadow a physician, wear a shirt and tie. Your physician will instruct you where you can bend the rules a little bit. Docs have widely differing opinions on dress code, so you never know what you're going to get.

I second Depakote. It's better to be overdressed than to look like a shmuck during first impressions.