Outrageous medical bills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staphaureus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the cost of running a hospital is high, but damn everytime I look at a medical bill my mother get, I get all piss and furious at what could possibly be so expensive. 5 grands to sit and wait for 5 hours in the waiting room, w/a total of 30 mins service.

Even if the insurance agree to pay, it's still a ~25% co-pay, which is pretty much a month income for someone who's low-income. It's not suprising to me anymore to hear pt's refusing to go see a doctor or wait until they go to other country to see a doctor, even if it's theoretically riskier (although, for the way I heard it, a lot better).

All that bullsh*t they feed us in medical school about caring for the whole patient is so hypocritical when at the end of the day, the same institution threaten to send bills to collection agency if any more delayed.

/semi-bias vent over

Members don't see this ad.

I know the cost of running a hospital is high, but damn everytime I look at a medical bill my mother get, I get all piss and furious at what could possibly be so expensive. 5 grands to sit and wait for 5 hours in the waiting room, w/a total of 30 mins service.

Even if the insurance agree to pay, it's still a ~25% co-pay, which is pretty much a month income for someone who's low-income. It's not suprising to me anymore to hear pt's refusing to go see a doctor or wait until they go to other country to see a doctor, even if it's theoretically riskier (although, for the way I heard it, a lot better).

All that bullsh*t they feed us in medical school about caring for the whole patient is so hypocritical when at the end of the day, the same institution threaten to send bills to collection agency if any more delayed.

/semi-bias vent over

You can thank trial lawyers and politicians for this.

Lawsuits are driving up health care cost and politicians aren't doing jack **** (probably because of huge campaign donation from trial lawyers).

I look at a medical bill my mother get, I get all piss and furious at what could possibly be so expensive. 5 grands to sit and wait for 5 hours in the waiting room, w/a total of 30 mins service.

All that bullsh*t they feed us in medical school about caring for the whole patient is so hypocritical when at the end of the day, the same institution threaten to send bills to collection agency if any more delayed

You will find out what most of what you will learn at the university wil never apply when you start to work. Studies are where you will only get to the theory with beautiful ethics. I came through the same case when one of my patients came to see the bills. I usually prescribe either good generics or tell my patients to look for some pharmacies such as BBonline pharmacy or Drugstore.com offer better prices. You should learn to accept the fact that times have changed and old ethics are just here as flowers.
All that bullsh*t they feed us

you are totally right here and don't expect things to change ... just adapt