OUWB (half-tuition scholarship) vs. CWRU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viralhiker

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This week has been gut-wrenching. After being on the WL at Case for the last five months, I received an admission offer a few days ago. I had already been accepted by OUWB and selected PTE prior to April 30th. I spent the last couple days furiously submitting financial aid docs, planning housing, scheduling tours for CWRU as it is easily my top choice. Then just a few minutes ago I received a half-tuition ($115K over four years) scholarship to Oakland... I know this is all good news but I feel very overwhelmed. Looking for any and all advice. I have to answer both CWRU's acceptance offer and OUWB's commit-to-enroll scholarship offer by next Thursday, 5/13. Edit: I should also add that I am going to medical school with considerable undergrad loan debt ($190k). Here are the pros and cons:

Case Western:
Pros:
- Loved the school on interview day, felt like I would be very at home with the curriculum
- True P/F preclinical
- Very low in-person required time
- Prestige factor. T20-30 ranking
- Incredible match list (I am interested in competitive specialties; ophtho, derm)
- Resources of Cleveland Clinic, other great rotations at UH
- Copious research opportunities
- Low cost of living
- Partner wants to relocate and for me to go to Case (knows its my top choice)

Cons:
- $94k/year cost of attendance ($384k total). I think I have a potential for need-based aid based on family finances, but I have no idea if I will actually receive any. Their fin aid office said in my acceptance email that I would receive my award package before the deadline to accept.
- Farther from family (2.5-3 hours, not terribly bad)
- Partner would have to relocate job (EDIT: turns out this isn't a con anymore)

Oakland University:
Pros:
- Also liked the school on interview day.
- Cost of attendance would be ~57k per year ($228k total).
- Partner could stay at their current job, closer to family (not that Cleveland is far from SE Michigan)
- Strong match list for their ranking. Consistently matches students in ophtho/rads
- Good resources with Beaumont

Cons:
- Much lower ranked (unranked USNWR?), maybe that will matter more for my class post Step 1 p/f??
- Limited on housing, due to partner work commitments we would both have ~35min commute each day.
- H/P/F grading, mandatory attendance
- Less capacity for research
- I would have to complete a mandatory prerequisite psychology course before matriculating (intro psych online, currently 1/3rd of the way finished with it....)
- Would have to live in suburbia

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i just gave up my spot at case a few days ago maybe you got that spot lmao! but for what its worth I withdrew my interview at Oakland but it mainly came down to the mandatory attendance aspect in order to honor. i get why they have stupid stuff like honors during preclinical years because they are a younger medical school trying to match students competitively, but compared to case this is a no brainer in terms of matching opportunities. i would ask where you want to end up post med school. if you are content to end up in the midwest, I think oakland is a better choice for you to avoid accruing massive amounts of debt overall. if you desire to go anywhere else in the country, case is far and away the better option. what does your partner think about having to relocate? do they like their current job? i think oakland will have a lot of clinical research opportunities though, in contrast to that con. case boasts a lot about this but unless you are passionate about research / uber competitive specialty this is just checking a box at the end of the day -- but you need this more at Oakland to boost your residency app. its easy to sit here and say you should go to case and have a better shot at optho programs that you want, but the debt is real. you could save the money and make up for it long term by doing a less competitive specialty and not ultimately lose out financially.

would appreciate any feedback on the choice that I just posted too ha

Reactions: 1 user
i just gave up my spot at case a few days ago maybe you got that spot lmao! but for what its worth I withdrew my interview at Oakland but it mainly came down to the mandatory attendance aspect in order to honor. i get why they have stupid stuff like honors during preclinical years because they are a younger medical school trying to match students competitively, but compared to case this is a no brainer in terms of matching opportunities. i would ask where you want to end up post med school. if you are content to end up in the midwest, I think oakland is a better choice for you to avoid accruing massive amounts of debt overall. if you desire to go anywhere else in the country, case is far and away the better option. what does your partner think about having to relocate? do they like their current job? i think oakland will have a lot of clinical research opportunities though, in contrast to that con. case boasts a lot about this but unless you are passionate about research / uber competitive specialty this is just checking a box at the end of the day -- but you need this more at Oakland to boost your residency app. its easy to sit here and say you should go to case and have a better shot at optho programs that you want, but the debt is real. you could save the money and make up for it long term by doing a less competitive specialty and not ultimately lose out financially.

would appreciate any feedback on the choice that I just posted too ha
Turns out my GF wants me to go to Case. I think she was actually looking forward to a move and a fresh start. Should probably change the pros/cons list now lol..

The thing is I'm really not content for the midwest. I really want to go somewhere else in the country (west coast) in a competitive specialty, and you're right, Case would be better for that. And I get the research box-checking thing, you're not wrong. At the end of the day though, I think my residency app would be stronger if I went to Case.

This feels like a stereotypical heart vs. wallet decision and I was not expecting to have this dilemma on my plate after so much silence this cycle. Hopefully my financial aid offer from CWRU will clarify things... Few more days to wait on that though.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a very similar position as you! Have you tried to see if Case will match the financial offer?
Not yet. I haven’t received my initial financial aid package from Case yet. So depending on what that entails I will be seeing if they can match, or at least come closer.

Not yet. I haven’t received my initial financial aid package from Case yet. So depending on what that entails I will be seeing if they can match, or at least come closer.
Best of luck and lmk how it goes!

Also 150k is a lot but it shouldn't stop you from being happy. In the long run, it won't make that big of a difference.

Reactions: 2 users
If you want to leave the Midwest, I don't think Case will hold you back. OUWB is in the midwest and a newer school so you may find it easier to leave the Midwest if you go to Case Western. I've heard good things about their med program!

This week has been gut-wrenching. After being on the WL at Case for the last five months, I received an admission offer a few days ago. I had already been accepted by OUWB and selected PTE prior to April 30th. I spent the last couple days furiously submitting financial aid docs, planning housing, scheduling tours for CWRU as it is easily my top choice. Then just a few minutes ago I received a half-tuition ($115K over four years) scholarship to Oakland... I know this is all good news but I feel very overwhelmed. Looking for any and all advice. I have to answer both CWRU's acceptance offer and OUWB's commit-to-enroll scholarship offer by next Thursday, 5/13. Edit: I should also add that I am going to medical school with considerable undergrad loan debt ($190k). Here are the pros and cons:

Case Western:
Pros:
- Loved the school on interview day, felt like I would be very at home with the curriculum
- True P/F preclinical
- Incredible match list (I am interested in competitive specialties; ophtho, derm)
- Low cost of living

Cons:
- $94k/year cost of attendance ($384k total). I think I have a potential for need-based aid based on family finances, but I have no idea if I will actually receive any. Their fin aid office said in my acceptance email that I would receive my award package before the deadline to accept.

Oakland University:
Pros:
- Partner could stay at their current job, closer to family (not that Cleveland is far from SE Michigan)
- Strong match list for their ranking. Consistently matches students in ophtho/rads

Cons:
- Much lower ranked (unranked USNWR?), maybe that will matter more for my class post Step 1 p/f??
- Limited on housing, due to partner work commitments we would both have ~35min commute each day.
- I would have to complete a mandatory prerequisite psychology course before matriculating (intro psych online, currently 1/3rd of the way finished with it....)
FYI gut-wrenching has a more negative conotation.
You've made a great table. Here is some more food for thought:

When people ask these questions, I usually write a long post comparing pros and cons , but I strongly recommend you go to CWRU and don't look back unless you are sure what you want to do if FM. OUWB is a solid MD school, but it doesn't offer the name/placement that CWRU has.

Turns out my GF wants me to go to Case. I think she was actually looking forward to a move and a fresh start. Should probably change the pros/cons list now lol..

The thing is I'm really not content for the midwest. I really want to go somewhere else in the country (west coast) in a competitive specialty, and you're right, Case would be better for that. And I get the research box-checking thing, you're not wrong. At the end of the day though, I think my residency app would be stronger if I went to Case.

This feels like a stereotypical heart vs. wallet decision and I was not expecting to have this dilemma on my plate after so much silence this cycle. Hopefully my financial aid offer from CWRU will clarify things... Few more days to wait on that though.
OP, the choice is clear. Go to Case. Don't look back. Oakland County >>>>>> Cuyohoga County but Case offers so much more opportunities in the long run.

Also, the wallet decision is to go to Case. The opportunities in the long run are worth that 200K (see I even accounted for interest).

Reactions: 1 users
OP, the choice is clear. Go to Case. Don't look back. Oakland County >>>>>> Cuyohoga County but Case offers so much more opportunities in the long run.

Also, the wallet decision is to go to Case. The opportunities in the long run are worth that 200K (see I even accounted for interest).
I really appreciate you saying this, thank you. I was worried it would be irrational to just disregard such a large amount of money.

Congrats on the A! I was in a similar situation, PTE at Wayne when I was also pulled off the WL at Case on Monday. I know I don’t want to do FM and love research, so the prestige and resources at Case (especially now that Step 1 is P/F) was the clear winner. Even though it’s also much more expensive.
Congrats to you too! I've seen your posts a lot on here, its pretty funny how similar our results are for this cycle

Congrats viralhiker!

Case is an amazing school. I think they’re doing mostly need-based FA now, right? They may offer you a decent package.

I would go with Case.

• Care

Case Western:
Pros:
- True P/F preclinical
- Low cost of living

Cons:

Oakland University:
Pros:

Cons:
If you ask me I’ll say case only if they offer you scholarship. You learnto be a doctor in residency not in the class room. I have never seen any patient asking the doctors I’ve worked with where they went to school. Of note, part of why there are physicians suicide is debt and the amount of burn out from patient care. Pick a place where you will have less debt if all things being equal.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
If you ask me I’ll say case only if they offer you scholarship. You learnto be a doctor in residency not in the class room. I have never seen any patient asking the doctors I’ve worked with where they went to school. Of note, part of why there are physicians suicide is debt and the amount of burn out from patient care. Pick a place where you will have less debt if all things being equal.
Thanks for the input! But isn’t the point that all things aren’t equal? CWRU and OUWB are pretty different in a lot of regards.

From your post you seem to like case and OUWB is just a random bump in the road since you were set on CWRU to initially

Excited update: I received a half-tuition scholarship from Case as well! Although my decision was pretty much made, this certainly made it much easier. Thank you all for your help and advice!

Reactions: 6 users
Excited update: I received a half-tuition scholarship from Case as well! Although my decision was pretty much made, this certainly made it much easier. Thank you all for your help and advice!
Ok now go with case. You still get the money that’s what matters.