Overcoming hardship explanations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2th Doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So at the moment I'm preparing an essay about overcoming hardship. It has to do with pregnancy complications, loss of an unborn child, resulting financial burdens, losing our home, short sale, lawyers, all while raising a daughter, working, and attending school. I currently have a 568 word essay that spans the 3 year experience in pretty good detail, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any suggestions given to them while writing about hardships. Is it okay to write it more thoroughly, or do they want it really cut and dry like just a few sentences? Personally I don't think a few sentences could tell the whole story, but I could probably sum up the main points if necessary. There's no instructions relating to character limit or otherwise. It's for Baylor's secondary app. I looked through the TMDSAS thread but didn't find anything conclusive. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!

Also, since I'm basically mentioning that my credit is in jeopardy and may cause issues getting financial aid beyond federal aid, I did mention my intentions of applying for military scholarships. Does this seem appropriate?

Members don't see this ad.

So at the moment I'm preparing an essay about overcoming hardship. It has to do with pregnancy complications, loss of an unborn child, resulting financial burdens, losing our home, short sale, lawyers, all while raising a daughter, working, and attending school. I currently have a 568 word essay that spans the 3 year experience in pretty good detail, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any suggestions given to them while writing about hardships. Is it okay to write it more thoroughly, or do they want it really cut and dry like just a few sentences? Personally I don't think a few sentences could tell the whole story, but I could probably sum up the main points if necessary. There's no instructions relating to character limit or otherwise. It's for Baylor's secondary app. I looked through the TMDSAS thread but didn't find anything conclusive. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!

Also, since I'm basically mentioning that my credit is in jeopardy and may cause issues getting financial aid beyond federal aid, I did mention my intentions of applying for military scholarships. Does this seem appropriate?

I just attended an interview/personal statement session with the admissions director for LSU (medicine, not dentistry..but I think they have similar mentalities). He said that your personal statement is NOT somewhere to depress the committee or look for pity; do your best to highlight your positive attibutes, and not to focus on your flaws. If you mention anything negative, you "darn well better add a positive spin to this and show us how you've grown, matured, benefitted" from the situation."

Your letter should reflect your aspirations of becoming a dentist. We've all had hardships in one way or another, the question is, how did this lead you to want to become a dentist and how will it make you a better dentist than the next person. If I was on the adcoms, I want to be uplifted by your story, not depressed. good luck

Members don't see this ad :)

Did you write anything about dentistry? Maybe jumping the gun on the credit unless you are pretty sure you will have an acceptance in hand.

Let me just clarify that this is not for the personal statement, but for a single secondary app essay titled : "Overcame or is experiencing extreme hardship. Explain:"

Maybe jumping the gun on the credit unless you are pretty sure you will have an acceptance in hand.

I kind of agree. I'm just trying to decide if it would be better to not address the issue, which may lead them to contrive their own assumptions of my inability to finance dental school (perhaps this is not part of initial considerations?), or to address it and give them reason why they needn't worry. I think I remember reading somewhere that creditworthiness only becomes a factor after they've decided to accept you, but has no bearing on whether or not they'll give you an interview and a chance at acceptance...?

Last edited:
The personal statement is where you describe your story of how/why you found dentistry. Its good to include a strong paragraph of your hardships and how you overcame, but, it shouldn't be the basis of your essay.

Simple question "Why do you want to be a dentist?".... put that theme in the back of your mind when you write.

all the best

Let me just clarify that this is not for the personal statement, but for a single secondary app essay titled : "Overcame or is experiencing extreme hardship. Explain:"

You may want to call someone at Baylor and ask them how detailed they want you to be. I would explain the situation but stress what you have learned, how it has helped you grow/mature, how this struggle will help you be an empathetic dentist.

So at the moment I'm preparing an essay about overcoming hardship. It has to do with pregnancy complications, loss of an unborn child, resulting financial burdens, losing our home, short sale, lawyers, all while raising a daughter, working, and attending school. I currently have a 568 word essay that spans the 3 year experience in pretty good detail

Dang your good :D

This sounds a bit depressing you should try and maybe throw in something positive, and maybe briefly describe (try and group them into one large theme) some of the hardships you faced and how you became a better person because of those hardships, or what you learned from all this, I really think you should focus on a few points and focus on how you overcame these hardships.

The personal statement is where you describe your story of how/why you found dentistry. Its good to include a strong paragraph of your hardships and how you overcame, but, it shouldn't be the basis of your essay.

Simple question "Why do you want to be a dentist?".... put that theme in the back of your mind when you write.

all the best

They already mentioned that this is a specific question for the secondary.

I honestly didn't even answer that optional essay and left it blank. As others have said, I would sum it up in a few (3-4 sentences) and take the opportunity to show some strengths that you may have developed in the process. Give them a taste of the story along with the lessons you learned.

They already mentioned that this is a specific question for the secondary.

I honestly didn't even answer that optional essay and left it blank. As others have said, I would sum it up in a few (3-4 sentences) and take the opportunity to show some strengths that you may have developed in the process. Give them a taste of the story along with the lessons you learned.

oops

Thanks all for your input. It has been a great help and I feel that I have a better idea now of what would be most appropriate.

Please do tell them in the secondary about your situation. You have gone through a heck of a lot and it deserves to be shown to the adcoms. It shows your perseverence to getting a higher education and that makes you a very valuable applicant.
Like the others mentioned, don't make it sappy and sad although I am sure a lot of it is. Make it more of a powerful statement of who you are as a person. What happened and what happens is what MAKES you YOU and you want them to want that :)