'Overcoming Problems' essays.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GregiG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

As some of you may already know a bunch of secondaries ask you to answer a question sort of like this:

'Recall a significant problem, and describe how you dealt with it. List any coping skills or people you turned to, bla bla bla'

I am just a regular guy who luckily did not have to live in the inner city and face violence, or have a life threatening illness. What kind of problem are they looking for here? What would even be appropriate?

Thanks for all your input.

Members don't see this ad.

hi, gregi. i think you should broaden your thinking on this one. frankly, if you've never overcome any problems in your life, you're alone. (in which case, there's a problem right there) the question doesn't imply any sort of problem, so think back over your academic life, your professional environments (if you've had a job--depends on your personal exp), your friendships, your interactions with strangers, etc. think about it all--they're not looking for any one sort of response. it doesn't have to be a tear-jerker, but rather more of an honest assessment of how you've worked thru a difficult, if breif, issue. appropriate in my opinion: difficulties with a professor (i used this one), moral/ethical dilemmas (such as giving money to homeless people--most people really grapple with this), not meeting your own or someone else's expectations on a project, trying something for the first time and failing (or nearly so). good luck!