SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

'Overcoming Problems' essays.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by GregiG, Jul 18, 2001.

1. GregiG

GregiG Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 17, 2001
    Chicago
    Hey

As some of you may already know a bunch of secondaries ask you to answer a question sort of like this:

'Recall a significant problem, and describe how you dealt with it. List any coping skills or people you turned to, bla bla bla'

I am just a regular guy who luckily did not have to live in the inner city and face violence, or have a life threatening illness. What kind of problem are they looking for here? What would even be appropriate?

Thanks for all your input.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. freshity

freshity Senior Member 7+ Year Member

May 20, 2001
    hi, gregi. i think you should broaden your thinking on this one. frankly, if you've never overcome any problems in your life, you're alone. (in which case, there's a problem right there) the question doesn't imply any sort of problem, so think back over your academic life, your professional environments (if you've had a job--depends on your personal exp), your friendships, your interactions with strangers, etc. think about it all--they're not looking for any one sort of response. it doesn't have to be a tear-jerker, but rather more of an honest assessment of how you've worked thru a difficult, if breif, issue. appropriate in my opinion: difficulties with a professor (i used this one), moral/ethical dilemmas (such as giving money to homeless people--most people really grapple with this), not meeting your own or someone else's expectations on a project, trying something for the first time and failing (or nearly so). good luck!