Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My guess is that there already was a shortage of pca machines and you weren't the only one to be awakened to try and free one up. That or there was a shortage of filled syringes and that was the time a new one was going to be neededFinished ex-lapping the Pt around 7pm. Order PCA then. Big incision, big surgery. Pt does fine in PACU, gets to floor. Keeping him NPO for the night, will need to reassess in the AM.
1am, nurse. "Hello, I was calling to see if we could DC the PCA on Pt Xlap."
Me (super bleary, must have been deep in REM...):"Whaaaa...?"
Nurse: "His pain is well controlled. Could we switch to oral meds?"
Me: "Whaaattt? I don't understand. I ordered a PCA. Why do you want it canceled?"
Nurse:"He hasn't used much. (Snippy, defensive tone). I just thought we should save the PCA pumps for appropriate pain control for someone else who might need it."
Me:"He had a big surgery. It's a PCA. I'm just not understanding....why do you want to cancel it?"
Nurse Snippy: "Well, if you want to keep it, I guess we can, I just want to make sure we have PCA pumps for appropriate pain control for patients who might need it."
Me: "Ok, we'll keep it for now. Thank you."
I still don't know, man. Never had a call like that before. Sometimes people complain that it beeps, but that wasn't the case here. Seems like nurse thought there was going to be a 1AM mad rush for the PCA pumps. I checked my pager in the later AM, and it wasn't just a bad dream...
Oh, and following morning, Pt said his pain was well controlled and the PCA was working great for him...