overqualified-ish and applying late - wait or just do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luaylu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
removed to prevent trolls from trollin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
my fiance just got a job in SF, so i'm only applying to CSPM. and if i don't get in, then i'm applying again...

UG GPA from a sub ivy level school: 2.56 (i know...)
post bacc GPA w/ all the science prereqs and then some other science: 3.8
(=cGPA 2.94)
MCAT: (going to be, fingers crossed, unless something horrible happened) 30-35

should i just wait til next cycle? it would be awesome to start in september, but it sounds like i've got a snowball's chance in hell this late, even if my mcat is higher than their average.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

edit I: specifically i'm wondering how much classes tend to shift around/have people drop out to open up spots (esp. at a smaller school like this)
also - scholarships. it would be awesome to get one, i assume applying late negatively impacts this as well

edit II: to take out info that i feel weird posting publicly about their current class status that admissions told me via email

It's the middle of May already and a lot of the schools have deadlines and finalization on their decisions on candidates by end of next month. Many have their seats filled already and have candidates waiting in line (waiting-list). Your chances of applying now (and to only one school (CSPM) really cuts it short, in my opinion. I would wait for the next cycle to apply and use the time now to really get the application together and enhance it. Applications can cost quite a bit and I'd use it to apply to more than one schools to increase your chances.

Reactions: 1 users
It's the middle of May already and a lot of the schools have deadlines and finalization on their decisions on candidates by end of next month. Many have their seats filled already and have candidates waiting in line (waiting-list). Your chances of applying now (and to only one school (CSPM) really cuts it short, in my opinion. I would wait for the next cycle to apply and use the time now to really get the application together and enhance it. Applications can cost quite a bit and I'd use it to apply to more than one schools to increase your chances.

thanks, i kinda assumed that's what the consensus would be... bummer, but i guess i can always be an MCAT tutor!!!!

another question for you... i don't want to come off as arrogant (i'm full of self-doubt, actually). i know that there are lots of factors beside my GPA and MCAT that go into admission (like... everything else about a person) but i figured it would be safe to just apply to CSPM since my stats are pretty solid compared to what they have for their 2013 class (assuming they look at my post bac and are impressed). is that not a safe assumption?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay guys, i have come to a conclusion. To attempt to be helpful to anyone else wondering about this:

From what I have gleaned talking to admissions and researching this... pod school is getting more competitive each year, and many of them have full committed classes before April. For someone in my situation (ie good MCAT/stats), applying to a full school with a waitlist won't get you admission or waitlist even if you're great because they don't want to keep doing interviews when they have a full class and a qualified waitlist.

Tldr: sending in your app close to the June 30 deadline is wayyyy too late. Even April is pretty late. Apply early.

Last edited:
thanks, i kinda assumed that's what the consensus would be... bummer, but i guess i can always be an MCAT tutor!!!!

another question for you... i don't want to come off as arrogant (i'm full of self-doubt, actually). i know that there are lots of factors beside my GPA and MCAT that go into admission (like... everything else about a person) but i figured it would be safe to just apply to CSPM since my stats are pretty solid compared to what they have for their 2013 class (assuming they look at my post bac and are impressed). is that not a safe assumption?

Your stats may be solid, but it is not a wise assumption. Admissions committee look for files that are complete and meet the requirements and fill the seats early. Once it's filled, they don't care if a student has a 3.5+ or with a stellar MCAT. It would only be in those student's favor if there's seats still available, but not this late in the cycle. It is getting more competitive every year and schools interview pretty early, seats are filled faster. My suggestion is to apply early, interview, and get scholarships with the high MCAT. You'll definitely get in next cycle if you apply early and to the school of your choice too. Good luck.

I don't think its unreasonable to apply to the 1 school you really want at the beginning of the application period. You'll have plenty of time to apply elsewhere if it doesn't work out. In fact, I would encourage most people to limit their applications to 2-3 schools at the beginning of the cycle to avoid all the complications that come with receiving multiple interviews requests. You'll save on fees, you'll save on travel, you'll avoid any weird "we must hear from you by this date" complications that occurs for people trying to interview everywhere. To anyone who really thinks they'll be happy at any school, I really think you should investigate each school more. Last of all - I'm sorry, but I don't believe that podiatry school has become more competitive. The matriculant statistics are basically stagnant.

PS - Original poster, I don't think I see anything in your post that talks about shadowing. I'd get on that if you haven't already.

I don't think its unreasonable to apply to the 1 school you really want at the beginning of the application period. You'll have plenty of time to apply elsewhere if it doesn't work out. In fact, I would encourage most people to limit their applications to 2-3 schools at the beginning of the cycle to avoid all the complications that come with receiving multiple interviews requests. You'll save on fees, you'll save on travel, you'll avoid any weird "we must hear from you by this date" complications that occurs for people trying to interview everywhere. To anyone who really thinks they'll be happy at any school, I really think you should investigate each school more. Last of all - I'm sorry, but I don't believe that podiatry school has become more competitive. The matriculant statistics are basically stagnant.

PS - Original poster, I don't think I see anything in your post that talks about shadowing. I'd get on that if you haven't already.

Thank you to everyone, this is all excellent advice which I'm going to heed. And I hope pod is getting more competitive, for a number of reasons, but maybe that rumor is just a reflection adcoms dreams... And Ive done 16 weeks of shadowing 2hr a eek, it's how I got super excited about podiatry and switched from MD track to this. Hope it's enough (I have other ecs too)

I would call up CSPM and ask about their summer program. You get to meet professors and tour the campus. When you apply you will talk to the same people and they will know your name. It will certainly increase your chances for admission.

I would call up CSPM and ask about their summer program. You get to meet professors and tour the campus. When you apply you will talk to the same people and they will know your name. It will certainly increase your chances for admission.

:thumbup: (thank you)

Last edited:
I would recommend taking a "shot". Get your app "completed". MCAT scores ASAP (hope you are over 26). Did you shadow a POD yet? Call that Pod School get to know the PC so you can call frequently to see if a drop out happens. With great post bacc GPA, high MCAT scores, shadowing hours you should be good to go. If you do not gain acceptance this cycle than have your app ready to go on the first day of open season... Good Luck...

How do you manage to get an MCAT score in the 30s if you had a below 2.5 cGPA in undergrad???
How does that happen??? Did you just not care at all?

How do you manage to get an MCAT score in the 30s if you had a below 2.5 cGPA in undergrad???
How does that happen??? Did you just not care at all?
yes, my ug GPA certainly belies I had some issues. I would point out that I clearly "care" now, based on your metric to assess caring - my post bac GPA is great. That's how i got a good MCAT. that and blood, sweat, and tears.

Last edited:
Overqualified w a 2.94 GPA? Knew a few people with that kind of attitude that came into my class in 2010. Needless to say they were on the first train outta school, 30+ MCAT and all. Somebody's got some 'splainin to do!

:biglove:
Overqualified w a 2.94 GPA? Knew a few people with that kind of attitude that came into my class in 2010. Needless to say they were on the first train outta school, 30+ MCAT and all. Somebody's got some 'splainin to do!
so glad to find such nice people in the podiatry community, cant wait 2 be colleages:biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove:

:biglove:
so glad to find such nice people in the podiatry community, cant wait 2 be colleages:biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove:

Sometimes honesty doesn't seem like the nicest thing. Tickler is just pointing out that no one is overqualified when the first year starts. It is a brutal path if you don't have a humble attitude.

this is an anonymous forum. i never said i was "overqualified" or better than anyone else who is accepted, but the cold, hard stats tell me that i'm pretty competitive for admission and was looking for advice on something pretty specific, and that fact was relevant (MCAT, post bac. GPA). IRL i dont go around boasting about my MCAT. the path we're all choosing here isn't an easy one by any means, and it sucks that people aren't more supportive. i don't need someone to tell me that i could fail out first year, that's a d*ck move, and it's not nice or warranted. i know podiatry school is difficult, that fact is pretty clear to anyone who has done basic research.

at least my mom thinks i'm great (hi, mom!)

i got what i came for, i'm leaving now, i hope this thread will be useful to someone in the future

What was your MCAT score anyway? You said expecting "30-35" which means you don't even have one yet.

Let's not head that way. You almost certainly are a competitive applicant. There is a lot of attrition in podiatry. You'll have more questions. Getting in just opens the door. I've got classmates who had below average matriculant stats, struggled first year, and are walking and talking foot and ankle machines right now. Don't let anything on this forum get you down.

My comments were in no way meant to be a personal attack. I apologize if it seemed that way. I was just poking fun at your thread title and sharing some personal experience after seeing many incoming students who felt they were "overqualified-ish." That sort of attitude will likely set one up for more failure throughout their 4 years than will help. As for your original question, assuming you did indeed get the MCAT score you wanted, I would certainly give it a shot.

this is an anonymous forum. i never said i was "overqualified" or better than anyone else

TITLE: "overqualified-ish"

Sometimes I dislike these forums because when students come on here they don't expect constructive criticism, but when someone gives their basic opinion people just get mad. If you are willing to ask a question, you better understand that you will get some constructive criticism.
My opinion is that you should fully understand that the first question they will ask is something about your undergrad grades and comparing them to your post baac grades.