Overseas Observership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handsome88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love traveling (especially since I've got origins from all over the world), and I also really need to do some observerships. Can I combine the two and shadow doctors from other countries (third world, non-English speaking ones, if that matters)? Or would that seem too strange, not relevant? Or do you think it's a plus? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

There are loads of opportunities like that. Your school may offer some of these, and if not, plenty of third party organizations do.

This is one of the programs that my medical school recommends:
http://www.cfhi.org/web/index.php

They have loads of opportunities in Latin America, Africa and Asia.

EDIT: Also, to answer your question about whether it's worthwhile. I definitely think so. I imagine residencies are more interested in seeing that you were committed and engaged during your breaks rather than looking for a particular activity in your resume. Who knows, it may even be refreshing compared to the hordes of students who opted for safe, dull research projects for their summer. :p

There are loads of opportunities like that. Your school may offer some of these, and if not, plenty of third party organizations do.

This is one of the programs that my medical school recommends:
http://www.cfhi.org/web/index.php

They have loads of opportunities in Latin America, Africa and Asia.

EDIT: Also, to answer your question about whether it's worthwhile. I definitely think so. I imagine residencies are more interested in seeing that you were committed and engaged during your breaks rather than looking for a particular activity in your resume. Who knows, it may even be refreshing compared to the hordes of students who opted for safe, dull research projects for their summer. :p

Wow thanks that was helpful :)

Members don't see this ad :)
IF you're looking at South America I can set you up with a great organization. I would recommend avoiding "volunteer abroad" programs due to the fact that they often charge you "un ojo de la cara."

Check out Idealist.org. IF you don't need to be paid while you volunteer/observe, you should be able to find multiple opportunities in a given place.

PM me with follow-up questions (about Latin America, as that's what I've been doing as of late). I'm not following this thread.

-C.J.

Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned that. The program I linked you does come with a price tag. For me, it was worth it because my school is paying for the program costs minus the airfare. If you're paying completely out of pocket, it may be better to find cheaper alternatives. The nice thing about these programs though, despite the cost, is that they take care of the more nerve-wracking aspects of organizing your trip (room/board, transport, schedule, etc.).