***Oversupply of Pharmacists***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muksyed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will the pharmacist will still be in demand in the future while compared to other professions like medical doctors etc. I was in the amid of considering should i go for pharmacy or choose any other medical field.

Insights are appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thats a good question. My guess will be that the demand will evenutally decrease and stop. There are only so many Walgreens, CVS, Target, Walmart, Rite Aid...these stores can only hired X amount of people (however large X is its a finite number a number that will eventually be reached and peaked) However pharmacy school graduates an INFINITE amount of people year by year...meaning the school KEEPS on graduating people non stop...and there are a surplus of pharmacy schools. Using logic and basic math it is obvious that there will eventually be a surplus of pharmacists. I just hope its not going to happen in my lifetime or for the next 25 years! :laugh:
I think we should be okay for the next 5-10 years at least. ;)

As long as people keep getting sick and we keep finding chronic illnesses to treat, we're gold! :) There is also a trend toward "pharmaceutical care" beginning which will slightly change the role of pharmacists from just a drug expert to a drug expert that serves a larger role in the treatment of patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats a good question. My guess will be that the demand will evenutally decrease and stop. There are only so many Walgreens, CVS, Target, Walmart, Rite Aid...these stores can only hired X amount of people (however large X is its a finite number a number that will eventually be reached and peaked) However pharmacy school graduates an INFINITE amount of people year by year...meaning the school KEEPS on graduating people non stop...and there are a surplus of pharmacy schools. Using logic and basic math it is obvious that there will eventually be a surplus of pharmacists. I just hope its not going to happen in my lifetime or for the next 25 years! :laugh:

What about the pharmacists that are retiring from retail stores? Even if the worst scanero happens and that the retail gets full, there are so many other opportunities in the pharmacy field like nuclear or you can work for a large pharmacuetical company and so on....

Also, I saw only one other person that is also planning on going to pharmacy school in the school freshmen orientation back in summer time...so it is rare for a pharmacy student to finish school and get their license in my state. And some might go to other states and work for the government (FDA).

As long as people keep getting sick and we keep finding chronic illnesses to treat, we're gold! :) There is also a trend toward "pharmaceutical care" beginning which will slightly change the role of pharmacists from just a drug expert to a drug expert that serves a larger role in the treatment of patients.

I hope they don't change it to making a pharmacist touch patients and see anything unpleasant. I rather do retail. I think there will always be retail. Its just the positions available are decreasing and it will become more competitive to get a retail position. But I applied to South University for 2009. If I get in I will graduate 2012, by then retail pharmacies should still be hiring! :D

well, don't forget to factor in the fairly large influx of baby boomers reaching their retirement age. they will definitely rely on pharms for their rx and counseling. however, after the baby boomers die out:eek: , then perhaps this surplus will be all too apparent.

muksyed, just think about what fields out there "floats your boat." if it's pharmacy, then go for it. even if landing a job will be more difficult when you graduate, surely your love for the profession will show to potential employers. They'll be like: "hey this kid is really passionate about this"

well, don't forget to factor in the fairly large influx of baby boomers reaching their retirement age. they will definitely rely on pharms for their rx and counseling. however, after the baby boomers die out:eek: , then perhaps this surplus will be all too apparent.

muksyed, just think about what fields out there "floats your boat." if it's pharmacy, then go for it. even if landing a job will be more difficult when you graduate, surely your love for the profession will show to potential employers. They'll be like: "hey this kid is really passionate about this"

that's not completely true, some of the younger generation is more reliant on meds now too.

Human body is always changing, meds always reacting differently, and pharmacist will pretty much always be along side the doctor who won't stop prescribing his 10 year old drugs when it's not as effective as the rest. :/

Unfortunately, for the boomers a thing called the recession of 2008 came along and pretty wiped a good portion of their retirement funds. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if people go into semi-retirement, working part-time to cover some of their expenses.

I hope they don't change it to making a pharmacist touch patients and see anything unpleasant. I rather do retail. I think there will always be retail. Its just the positions available are decreasing and it will become more competitive to get a retail position. But I applied to South University for 2009. If I get in I will graduate 2012, by then retail pharmacies should still be hiring! :D
If pharmacist start touching patients you really will go into optometry;). I doubt it will ever really g much farther than shots though.

Infinite? I thought it was closer to 9500 new grads ever year. How many new stores open up every year? How many pharmacists retire every year? Pharmacy will be fine for much, much longer than 10 years, I'll bet you $5.

Infinite? I thought it was closer to 9500 new grads ever year. How many new stores open up every year? How many pharmacists retire every year? Pharmacy will be fine for much, much longer than 10 years, I'll bet you $5.

Yeah, the infinite number caught my eye, too. Plus, bear in mind that most of the current pharmacists out there are baby boomers, too. They plan to retire someday soon too, assuming anyone CAN retire by the time the bottom stops falling out of the economy.

I think the profession is pretty solid in terms of reliability and being able to find a job. Healthcare will always be recession proof. The problem that we are starting to experience is that, although the country as a whole has a shortage of pharmacists, many markets are saturated. So that just means that you may have a better chance of finding a job in rural towns than big cities. As more pharmacy schools open, I think what will happen is that students will need to specialize more (residencies, dual degrees) to guarantee competitiveness.

Not to mention the fact that roughly 70% of pharmacy students are female...I know of several people in my class that plan only to work part-time and have lots of babies.

Members don't see this ad :)
The idea that ANY medical profession will not be in demand is totally absurd. There are approximately 300 million people in the United States. The birth rate exceeds the death rate. More people, more need for drug therapy. There will never be a halt in the demand for the Pharm.D.

Fact: By the year 2020, there will be an increase in demand for retail pharmicists by more than 12% (could even be up to 15%).

Reason:
- Constant dramatic increase in the population of senior/retired citizens, who consist of the highest percentage of prescription patients/clients.
- Increase in the construction/opening of new drug stores each year.
- Retired and "deserted" pharmacists will need to be replaced as well. By deserted, I mean those who leave the profession for something else for one reason or the other. I know a female pharmacist that quit the job just 6 months after graduating for medicine (no kidding).

Of course, it doesn't affect only retail pharmacists. Just singled out the most popular branch that I happen to have such detailed info on.

(Source = A 25-year experienced retail pharmacist. Currently working at a CVS location.)

9500+9500+9500+9500+.......will never stop which is the defination of infinite. Thats a lot of pharmacists. How many new stores open up each year? Not sure...but there are only so much land and places to open stores up...again the earth doesn't have unlimited amount of land there is limited space to open up pharmacies.
Not to mention POWER, something I read about happening in Florida...a ton of pharmacists are being lay off there...The point is there will eventually be a surplus of pharmacists...I am just not sure when it will happen.

If pharmacist start touching patients you really will go into optometry;). I doubt it will ever really g much farther than shots though.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I hope so! I don't even like looking at sick people much less touch them...I just want to type and verify scripts....oh and filling is also not too bad either. :p

9500+9500+9500+9500+.......will never stop which is the defination of infinite. Thats a lot of pharmacists. How many new stores open up each year? Not sure...but there are only so much land and places to open stores up...again the earth doesn't have unlimited amount of land there is limited space to open up pharmacies.
Not to mention POWER, something I read about happening in Florida...a ton of pharmacists are being lay off there...The point is there will eventually be a surplus of pharmacists...I am just not sure when it will happen.

People have been preaching the "sky is falling there's going to be a surplus of pharmacists" since the early 90's. It hasn't happened yet so keep preaching if you want, I think you're wasting your time and there won't be a noticeable difference in supply and demand for a long time to come.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I hope so! I don't even like looking at sick people much less touch them...I just want to type and verify scripts....oh and filling is also not too bad either. :p
Just touch sick people like this:poke:.

Just touch sick people like this:poke:.

:laugh: but seriously the worst part of retail is when people come up to you and tell you the nasties stories about their body parts or body fluids! Makes me want to :barf:
I am either going to work at a LOW volume store (I am thinking about Target) or as a mail order pharmacist. I just want to be left alone at my computer to type in, verified and fill my prescriptions!!!
Is that really too much to ask for???

Were u serious when u posted this? Wouldnt this happen to ALL professions, therefore no one could get jobs.

There are retired pharmacists, who actually outnumber the graduates.

:laugh: but seriously the worst part of retail is when people come up to you and tell you the nasties stories about their body parts or body fluids! Makes me want to :barf:
I am either going to work at a LOW volume store (I am thinking about Target) or as a mail order pharmacist. I just want to be left alone at my computer to type in, verified and fill my prescriptions!!!

I'm curious, why do you want to go into pharmacy if you're not interested in talking to patients, and just want to type in scripts?

I happen to work in a mail order pharmacy. Even though I work in one, I despise the lazy azz pharmacists who just sit by their computer and vrfy prescriptions that we technicians type and then send it back to us for the simplest mistake that they could fix themselves. I especially despise the pharmacists who think it's a waste of their time if they have to answer your questions. They come to work everyday with a "leave me alone, i'm better than you" attitude.

I happen to work in a mail order pharmacy. Even though I work in one, I despise the lazy azz pharmacists who just sit by their computer and vrfy prescriptions that we technicians type and then send it back to us for the simplest mistake that they could fix themselves. I especially despise the pharmacists who think it's a waste of their time if they have to answer your questions. They come to work everyday with a "leave me alone, i'm better than you" attitude.

I like talking to people....I just hate to be interrupted while I have a million things to do. If I am typing or filling or whatever...I hate to stop everything that I am doing to go out and talk to someone. I prefer finishing one thing and then do another.
So the worst part about retail pharmacy is when people come up to you and bug you when are you busy.

I'm curious, why do you want to go into pharmacy if you're not interested in talking to patients, and just want to type in scripts?

Just because I don't like one aspect of the profession doesn't mean I won't be good at all the other aspects of pharmacy. Every career has its pros and cons and pharmacy only has one con and I will take that over most other careers.

I like talking to people....I just hate to be interrupted while I have a million things to do. If I am typing or filling or whatever...I hate to stop everything that I am doing to go out and talk to someone. I prefer finishing one thing and then do another.
So the worst part about retail pharmacy is when people come up to you and bug you when are you busy.

I can understand your preference. Life would be so much easier if one can finish one thing and then do another. The reality is this seldom happens at most pharmacies. Pharmacists often prioritize their tasks and often do stop everything he or she is doing to give a consultation or take a copy/transfer prescription.

I'm not saying pharmacists are the only ones who do this. Techs and Clerks do the same. If a pharmacy is busy and the order comes in, clerks or techs put away the medication order when the rush dies down. It takes team work to run a successful pharmacy.

So my question is if the pharmacists wants me to go to the pick up window or finish a chem compound medication stat; why can't the pharmacist stop what he or she is doing for a minute to do a chemo post check?

My point is instead of looking at a post check as someone coming" up to you and bug you when are you busy," look at it as the tech is working and cooperating with you (the pharmacist) to provide the best care for your patients. (Always remember why you are working in a health care profession. You're here for the patients).

I believe the good pharmacists don't mind stopping what he or she is doing for a minute to help a fellow pharmacist or pharmacy tech.

:)

Last edited:

Nothing personal but I would say that you are going into the wrong profession. ANY health care professional should be more than willing to stop anything that they are doing in order to assist a patient, customer, etc. Having the mindset that you are above doing that sort of thing or feeling as though you are being 'bothered' is totally wrong.

Having said that, I don't know you from Joe... I don't know if you have applied to any colleges but I would hope that you would be forthcoming with your personal views on helping others with the faculty and practitioners conducting the interview. My guess is that you would be rejected because that is not the type of person they want in their program. Let someone who has the desire to help anyone who needs be a pharmacist.

As a side note, even being a clinical pharmacist is not without interruptions. I volunteer in an inpatient pharmacy and have shadowed both unit dose and clinical pharmacists. They are constantly interrupted by nurses, doctors or anyone who needs their help in the hospital.

Last edited:

Very very superficial logic you presented here. You should really read into this before you draw out conclusions. From various sources, i have read that the pharmacists/doctors are retiring at a very early age (say like 40-50) which means that they are getting enough pay to retire on and go ahead to establish their own chain or maybe venture into something else. I haven't really noticed much old pharmacist in front of a CVS counter or even institutions. All being said, we will continue to have shortage because right now there is only about 300,000 pharmacist currently employed which is disastrous to the healthcare system. so pls read read and read before making decisions.

Nothing personal but I would say that you are going into the wrong profession. ANY health care professional should be more than willing to stop anything that they are doing in order to assist a patient, customer, etc. Having the mindset that you are above doing that sort of thing or feeling as though you are being 'bothered' is totally wrong.

Having said that, I don't know you from Joe... I don't know if you have applied to any colleges but I would hope that you would be forthcoming with your personal views on helping others with the faculty and practitioners conducting the interview. My guess is that you would be rejected because that is not the type of person they want in their program. Let someone who has the desire to help anyone who needs be a pharmacist.

As a side note, even being a clinical pharmacist is not without interruptions. I volunteer in an inpatient pharmacy and have shadowed both unit dose and clinical pharmacists. They are constantly interrupted by nurses, doctors or anyone who needs their help in the hospital.

I did apply to pharmacy schools this year. Not sure if I can get in or not b/c I haven't taken the PCAT yet...however I was accepted to 4 dental schools last year (two of them being Ivy Leagues) so I didn't get accepted into those schools b/c my interview skills "sucks"...:rolleyes:
If anything my interview skills are better than most people I know.

As I pointed out before just because I don't like one aspect of a career doesn't mean I will suck at all aspects of it. Anyone will be lying if they say they have the perfect career with all pros and NO cons...You are kidding yourself if you believe you love everything about pharmacy and will never have a bad day at work.

Nobody is saying that you will suck at anything. I am merely pointing out that customer service and interacting with others is 99.9% of being a pharmacist. The fact that you hate it and don't want to be bothered while you are working on something else simply shows that you would probably not like being a pharmacist. I think some sort of lab job would be more suited to your liking.

You also never addressed when I mentioned being interviewed and mentioning that you hate being bothered by someone. If you had an interview, did you tell the professor or practitioner exactly what you said previously about just wanting to fill scripts?

A major question asked in interviews is, "Why do you want to be a pharmacist?"

Do you tell them:

I am either going to work at a LOW volume store (I am thinking about Target) or as a mail order pharmacist. I just want to be left alone at my computer to type in, verified and fill my prescriptions!!!Is that really too much to ask for???"

I can understand your preference. Life would be so much easier if one can finish one thing and then do another. The reality is this seldom happens at most pharmacies. Pharmacists often prioritize their tasks and often do stop everything he or she is doing to give a consultation or take a copy/transfer prescription.

I'm not saying pharmacists are the only ones who do this. Techs and Clerks do the same. If a pharmacy is busy and the order comes in, clerks or techs put away the medication order when the rush dies down. It takes team work to run a successful pharmacy.

So my question is if the pharmacists wants me to go to the pick up window or finish a chem compound medication stat; why can't the pharmacist stop what he or she is doing for a minute to do a chemo post check?

My point is instead of looking at a post check as someone coming" up to you and bug you when are you busy," look at it as the tech is working and cooperating with you (the pharmacist) to provide the best care for your patients. (Always remember why you are working in a health care profession. You're here for the patients).

I believe the good pharmacists don't mind stopping what he or she is doing for a minute to help a fellow pharmacist or pharmacy tech.

:)

I work at a pharmacy with only me and the pharmacist. I don't get bothered by the people that I work with. (I don't mind working...I am not the type to just sit down and do nothing...)
I just hate annoying interruptions like when people call me to refill a prescription when they can just dial 3 to get it automatically refill themselves or do auto refill...Or when someone complains about their insurance copay being too high (its just 20 dollars thats nothing...:rolleyes:) or just stupid stuff like can you show me where the pregancy tests are at in the store...(how am I suppose to know that??? do I look like someone who stock shelves??) Or when people just want to talk and talk and talk when I have things to do and don't have time.
But all that could just be in retail. I might just get an MBA/PharmD and get a management position instead.

SHC1984 said:
I might just get an MBA/PharmD and get a management position instead.

:laugh: Oh my. If you truly believe that you will have LESS to deal with in terms of interruptions as a manager, you are sadly mistaken.

Nobody is saying that you will suck at anything. I am merely pointing out that customer service and interacting with others is 99.9% of being a pharmacist. The fact that you hate it and don't want to be bothered while you are working on something else simply shows that you would probably not like being a pharmacist. I think some sort of lab job would be more suited to your liking.

You also never addressed when I mentioned being interviewed and mentioning that you hate being bothered by someone. If you had an interview, did you tell the professor or practitioner exactly what you said previously about just wanting to fill scripts?

A major question asked in interviews is, "Why do you want to be a pharmacist?"

Do you tell them:

Fair enough, I hated dentistry and got into dental school b/c I am good at making people like me in person. I can read people and usually know what people are looking for and so I tell them what they want to hear.

For the most part I can handle retail pharmacy...maybe if I just get better and faster at dealing with insurance and know how to navigate the computer systems better then maybe I will be faster at what I am doing and therefore have more time to chat with customers.

Or I was hoping to get an MBA/PharmD and work in a office...(not sure what my options are but aren't there some pharmacist that don't deal with patients??? )

I hate to work with someone like you

I work at a pharmacy with only me and the pharmacist. I don't get bothered by the people that I work with. (I don't mind working...I am not the type to just sit down and do nothing...)
I just hate annoying interruptions like when people call me to refill a prescription when they can just dial 3 to get it automatically refill themselves or do auto refill...Or when someone complains about their insurance copay being too high (its just 20 dollars thats nothing...:rolleyes:) or just stupid stuff like can you show me where the pregancy tests are at in the store...(how am I suppose to know that??? do I look like someone who stock shelves??) Or when people just want to talk and talk and talk when I have things to do and don't have time.
But all that could just be in retail. I might just get an MBA/PharmD and get a management position instead.

:laugh: Oh my. If you truly believe that you will have LESS to deal with in terms of interruptions as a manager, you are sadly mistaken.

Mail order then?

I hate to work with someone like you

and you are any better? :rolleyes::thumbdown: I am a brand new tech with no certifications and its just me and one pharmacist and we fill anywhere between 200-300 scripts a day.

....I am good at making people like me in person. I can read people and usually know what people are looking for and so I tell them what they want to hear.

Just to add my two cents. I am a firm believer that a person is defined by their actions when it does not matter. Like running a red light when you know no one is on the road and no cops are around. This will lead to laziness and poor decision making when it counts. The reason I am saying this is if you are bothered by your work and a patient wants a consultation about adverse reactions of their medications, are you going to take the time to help them or are you going to tell them what they want to hear to get them out of your hair, since when they leave your sight they are no longer your problem, even if they die (As long as it is not in the store).

I understand the pros and cons of life and of jobs, but what you are failing to realize is this ( I am going to use a sports analogy)... Football,
Pros for: Money, Fame, Women, etc
Cons against: Getting hit by 300lbs guys, working out, travel.

If you are this person the cons are what football is about, if you dislike the main focus of a profession you are not going to have a good career (usually).

You seem like a very intelligent individual and I feel that you will be very successful at whatever you do. I hope you realize that I am not responding to this thread because I feel you will not make a good Pharmacist, I just want to emphasis that healthcare is not an easy profession and demands a lot of dedication and sacrifice, because it is about (well should be about) other people and not yourself.

1) Not everyone know there is Number 3 option automatically refill.
2) $20 is countable. Maby people are struggling with this economic recession. With an extra $20, they can buy milk and food for thier children. There is nothing you can do you give them back $20, but at least explain to them why they are charged extra.
3) A customer seems to ask anything to anyone that they encounter with. In stead of getting angry, show some affection, care, and professional. This will make your career go far more than anyone who acts in the opposite manner.

To no one in particular:
Seriously, some of you have to get over your self righteous attitude, and stop attacking other people because they don't share the same views as you. Everybody has their own ideas of what an ideal pharmacist should be, and I highly doubt bashing each other over the internet will change someone's opinion. Anyhow, none of you (including me) are in a position to tell someone who should or shouldn't go into pharmacy, and seriously, don't tell me that you have 1 billion years experience as a technician, that it gives you some super power to tell who will become good pharmacists and who will become bad pharmacists. Do us all a favor, and worry about your own future, and hope that the training you receive in pharmacy school will prepare you to become the ideal pharmacist you strive to be.

Back to the OP's question: There has always been a shortage of pharmacists. Back in the great depression and every recession since then, pharmacists always had jobs, and there are many factors that account for this, and I'm in no mood to discuss this (since its already been discussed in the previous posts) Now, that doesn't mean you are guaranteed a job one block from your home, it just means you might have to look at less desirable locations for a job. If you don't believe me, then um........don't go into the pharmacy profession (more jobs for me when I graduate :laugh:).

Anyhow, if you don't agree with any part of my post, feel free to send me a bunch of PM's, or flame away. Seriously, it makes for good entertainment.

To no one in particular:
Seriously, some of you have to get over your self righteous attitude, and stop attacking other people because they don't share the same views as you. Everybody has their own ideas of what an ideal pharmacist should be, and I highly doubt bashing each other over the internet will change someone's opinion. Anyhow, none of you (including me) are in a position to tell someone who should or shouldn't go into pharmacy, and seriously, don't tell me that you have 1 billion years experience as a technician, that it gives you some super power to tell who will become good pharmacists and who will become bad pharmacists. Do us all a favor, and worry about your own future, and hope that the training you receive in pharmacy school will prepare you to become the ideal pharmacist you strive to be.

Back to the OP's question: There has always been a shortage of pharmacists. Back in the great depression and every recession since then, pharmacists always had jobs, and there are many factors that account for this, and I'm in no mood to discuss this (since its already been discussed in the previous posts) Now, that doesn't mean you are guaranteed a job one block from your home, it just means you might have to look at less desirable locations for a job. If you don't believe me, then um........don't go into the pharmacy profession (more jobs for me when I graduate :laugh:).

Anyhow, if you don't agree with any part of my post, feel free to send me a bunch of PM's, or flame away. Seriously, it makes for good entertainment.

Hence why I suggested to him to tell the faculty members and practitioners that are interviewing him that he does not wish to be bothered by patients and all he wants to do is fill scripts. Let them decide whether or not he should be accepted. But with his previous statement of telling people what they want to hear to get them out of his hair... well I guess they won't be getting the truth out of him, will they?

To no one in particular,

The reason there is going to be, and is a shortage is the growing population of the elderly and of patients with chronic illnesses. Pharmacy is expected to have a large increase in scripts per day with more patients having multiple scripts and the number of consultations they will need with an increase in scripts. The job and idea of the pharmacist is changing in healthcare. Pharmacists are expected to be more involved in the patient's progress and not just a pill or medicine dispenser, as seen in the past. This means more hands on time and contact with the patients. You know taking time out to talk to people to make sure that their health is your top priority.

Here are some links to articles and stories about the expected shortage.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/521115
http://www.uspharmacist.com/index.asp?show=article&page=8_1008.htm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9956386/
http://www.pharmacytimes.com/issues/articles/2008-02_016.asp

Last edited:
To no one in particular,

The reason there is going to be, and is a shortage is the growing population of the elderly and of patients with chronic illnesses. Pharmacy is expected to have a large increase in scripts per day with more patients having multiple scripts and the number of consultations they will need with an increase in scripts. The job and idea of the pharmacist is changing in healthcare. Pharmacists are expected to be more involved in the patient's progress and not just a pill or medicine dispenser, as seen in the past. This means more hands on time and contact with the patients. You know taking time out to talk to people to make sure that their health is your top priority.

Here are some links to articles and stories about the expected shortage.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/521115
http://www.uspharmacist.com/index.asp?show=article&page=8_1008.htm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9956386/
http://www.pharmacytimes.com/issues/articles/2008-02_016.asp

you know. . . when you provide information in a field where you have to relearn most things every year and keep up at least on a weekly if not daily basis, providing links to articles dating back to 2002 and beyond is not such a good idea. A lot of things have changed since then. Mandatory mail order on chronic medications (60-70 percent of most pharmacy fill rates), higher wages, less drugs in pipeline, technology allowing slower stores to check busier store's script, central fill, and so on have popped up since then. Retirees are working longer due to the economy. One 24 hour pharmacy store in a metropolitan area can easily cut at least 48 hours of pharmacy hours by opening stores later and closing them up earlier.

There is no shortage, but there is no surplus either. The major threat to your jobs are new schools producing more graduates. I cannot STRESS this enough. Read up on law schools and business schools to see what this could do to you! If this keeps on, you can be coming out of school with 150k in debt and no jobs!!! For major metropolitan areas, most companies are cutting back hours if not laying off people. For rural areas, job opportunities should be good.

A lot of pre-pharmacy students and pharmacy students dont get what is paying their salaries. You do not get paid for PATIENT CONTACT. You are not worth 120k to CVS if you spend all of your time talking to a patient. If you fill one script a minute that has a net profit of a dollar, CVS loses money if you spend 2-3 minutes talking to the patient. Patient contact is only good for bringing them back to the store which equates to a few dollar coupons that CVS gives them for using their extracare card. Heck, sometimes filling the script 5 minutes faster will do more for business than patient contact.

Last edited:
you know. . . when you provide information in a field where you have to relearn most things every year and keep up at least on a weekly if not daily basis, providing links to articles dating back to 2002 and beyond is not such a good idea. A lot of things have changed since then. Mandatory mail order on chronic medications (60-70 percent of most pharmacy fill rates), higher wages, less drugs in pipeline, technology allowing slower stores to check busier store's script, central fill, and so on have popped up since then. Retirees are working longer due to the economy. One 24 hour pharmacy store in a metropolitan area can easily cut at least 48 hours of pharmacy hours by opening stores later and closing them up earlier.

There is no shortage, but there is no surplus either. The major threat to your jobs are new schools producing more graduates. I cannot STRESS this enough. Read up on law schools and business schools to see what this could do to you! If this keeps on, you can be coming out of school with 150k in debt and no jobs!!! For major metropolitan areas, most companies are cutting back hours if not laying off people. For rural areas, job opportunities should be good.

A lot of pre-pharmacy students and pharmacy students dont get what is paying their salaries. You do not get paid for PATIENT CONTACT. You are not worth 120k to CVS if you spend all of your time talking to a patient. If you fill one script a minute that has a net profit of a dollar, CVS loses money if you spend 2-3 minutes talking to the patient. Patient contact is only good for bringing them back to the store which equates to a few dollar coupons that CVS gives them for using their extracare card. Heck, sometimes filling the script 5 minutes faster will do more for business than patient contact.

Thank you, I agree with everything you are saying here. You are already a pharmacist so you should know the most. :thumbup: I didn't mean to sound so mean in my previous posts (I am really not a mean person) I am just STRESS OUT by retail these couple of weeks! :laugh:
I also heard there is no such thing as a sign on bonus anymore...there use to be sign on bonuses back in the day when there was a shortage of pharmacists. In my hometown (Charlotte, NC) there is a waitling list of pharmacists trying to get into Target! (so I guess I know what company is the best to work for now! :laugh:)

you know. . . when you provide information in a field where you have to relearn most things every year and keep up at least on a weekly if not daily basis, providing links to articles dating back to 2002 and beyond is not such a good idea.
If you read all of them, one was from 2002, one was from 2005, one from 2006 and one from February 2008 http://www.pharmacytimes.com/issues/...008-02_016.asp .
"When you provide information in a field where you have to relearn most things every year and keep up at least on a weekly if not a daily basis" You should know to read everything before you make a conclusion, which is not a good idea.

Geez i was not aware of this thread turning into such a slam fest. To the OP listen to aznfarmerboi, other than that block out the rest of the static.

quoted for truth.

ValeUC: Before I became a p1, I thought that there were people that didn't deserve to be in pharmacy, but I've learned to give people the benefit of the doubt. I don't think I deserve to be in pharmacy school and many of the other p1's at my school feel the same way about themselves but we are all here. Everyone has their reasons and motives for going into pharmacy school. I've known people who've lied their way into other pharmacy school, but you know what, they actually turned out to be good pharmacists. I'm not saying people should lie, but I also don't have the right to judge them either. I sat on one admissions/interview panel this year, and have 2 more dates I have to sit on, and to be honest, it sucks, because you can't verify someone's information, your decisions are based on your gut feelings, and how you score the applicant can potentially ruin their future. So as of now, I congratulate those that got in, and hope adcom got it right in evaluating the applicants.

Last edited:
If you read all of them, one was from 2002, one was from 2005, one from 2006 and one from February 2008 http://www.pharmacytimes.com/issues/...008-02_016.asp .
"When you provide information in a field where you have to relearn most things every year and keep up at least on a weekly if not a daily basis" You should know to read everything before you make a conclusion, which is not a good idea.

I have read all of them. The article from 08 is a guy who wrote this data based on your other articles which once again is dating back from 02+. Refer to his reference in the bottom of page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaOD
Pharmacy and nursing are in a shortage situation no doubt and that has significantly increased incomes. I think pharmacy will level out in a bit once the new schools come online.
From my understanding the pharmacist shortage came from requiring a PharmD instead of a master's level degree. We need to bump optometry up to 6 years!
I think Optometry is in significant oversupply and just about to get MUCH worse. This is the main reason I would not recommend the profession. Otherwise its a pretty decent gig. I actually think both ODs and OMDs are in oversupply. Close a couple OD schools and eliminate general OMDs and we would be in good balance.]

The pharmacist shortage from a pharmacy perspective comes from an increased usage of prescriptions, baby boomers, retail practice, and expanded roles of pharmacy management.

http://www.kansas.com/business/healt...ry/428041.html

When I entered pharmacy school a while back, the wages were around 80k. Starting salaries are now ~120k! Most career outlooks (salary.com, Bls Occupational outlook) estimates pharmacy to expand at least 18 - 23 percent with new jobs outpacing graduates far and large. The funny thing was we had a couple of pharmacists claiming surplus (I believed them) due to technology a few years back. It turned out 8 years later. . this only increased demand for pharmacists even more due to pharmacy informatics, increased profitability (think 4 dollar generics), etc.

To aznfarmerboi,

I found a post (don't go to optometry) from 06/13/08 where you contradict what you have said in this post. Why the change in opinion if you do not mind me asking.

To aznfarmerboi,

I found a post (don't go to optometry) from 06/13/08 where you contradict what you have said in this post. Why the change in opinion if you do not mind me asking.
Why are you trolling?