oversupply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jefguth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
See for yourself, courtesy of the AOA and AOA statistics. This chart shows that OD supply already exceeds demand.

The entire presentation can be found here

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• chart1.JPG
    chart1.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 128
See for yourself, courtesy of the AOA and AOA statistics. This chart shows that OD supply already exceeds demand.

The entire presentation can be found here

The presentation states there is 'relative' need for optometrists, therefore there is a shortage?

Was this study conducted in 1999?

I read all the time about the oversupply of optometrists on here. But then I read stuff like this:

Optometry is rated "excellent" in a guide to careers that appeared in the March 19, 2007 edition of U.S. News and World Report. Optometry is one of 10 careers that will be in growing demand as "baby boomers age, the Internet becomes ubiquitous and Americans seek richer, simpler lives." The link to the article is http://www.usnews.com/careers.

Also, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook it says that optometry will "grow faster than average."
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos073.htm

Who is right?

Members don't see this ad :)
'Need' represents what the demand for services would be if in an ideal world patients followed recommended exam frequency. 'Need' is a false economy, 'need' does not pay the bills, demand (the real patients, that actually utilize and pay for your services) does.

Yes, the data is from 1999... How many new optometry school are in the works? One for sure, at least two more proposed.

Graphically, does it not seem that their will be a demand for optometrist, say by the year 2030 ?

It seems as if supply and demand functions will intersect and therafter the demand function will overlap the supply function.

I read all the time about the oversupply of optometrists on here. But then I read stuff like this:

Optometry is rated "excellent" in a guide to careers that appeared in the March 19, 2007 edition of U.S. News and World Report. Optometry is one of 10 careers that will be in growing demand as "baby boomers age, the Internet becomes ubiquitous and Americans seek richer, simpler lives." The link to the article is http://www.usnews.com/careers.

Also, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook it says that optometry will "grow faster than average."
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos073.htm

Who is right?

The older population looks to benefit more Ophthalmologists than Optometrists in my opinion. Now if the OD is able to keep the patient in his practice rather than the OMD keeping the patient after say a Cat Sx, or Diabetic Exam....than Optometry has a chance.

If you are not onto a medical plan application when you graduate, that should be your first priority. First get Medicare, and then go after as many medical plans as you can. Vision plans try to avoid them if possible esp. Davis and Eyemed which SUCK in reimbursement. Did you go to school to do a $30 dollar eye exam?

I'm a little confused. Can you get on the medical plan even if you're not presently working? I would expect graduate to have some downtime before he/she gets a job. How do you get on the Medicare panel? Isn't it like Medi-cal?

Oops, yeah it was a typo sentence. I meant to say you should try to get the medicare application process rolling by the time you start your first job. The day you get your license you should be sending those applications off in the mail.

I don't know anyting about Medi-Cal, sorry.

Thanks for the clarification! How do you get on the Medicare panel?

Look up your local medicare branch. All I did was enter in my state and medicare into yahoo search engine it brought up my local center. You will be enrolling into Medicare part B, since your a physician.

Tips with Medicare:
1) Don't make mistakes, they are picky when it comes to claims
2) Submit claims electronically, they get processed a lot quicker, usually around 30 days. Whatever Medicare doesn't cover will be sent to the secondary insurance (if the patient has one) which is another 30 days.
3) If the patient has Humana GoldChoice, do not submit the claim to Medicare, they'll just deny it and till you to submit it to Humana GoldChoice (hence you wasted thirty days to get paid).
4) Do not set your fees higher to Medicare or another insurance company, hence insurance fraud.
5) If the patient doesn't have a secondary insurance, they are responsible for whatever will not cover. Medicare will pay me around $52.00 for a 92004.