P1 Looking to the future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DuqPharm10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so before I entered the professional phase I decided I wanted to take steps to gain a residency after graduation. I just wanted to informally list some things I'm doing and see what you guys think I can do to better my chances.

As I said I'm a PY1 I finished my first semester with a 3.0

Jobs wise
I'm an intern at a hospital in the UPMC system, I've been working there for 7 months now

Im also an intern at an MTM pharmacy, and I mostly deal with adherence issue cases for star ratings.

Research.
I have started undergrad research in one of my professors labs, and will likely be a middle author on a published research paper within the next year.

Organizations
I'm a member of ASHP, PPA and Kappa Psi.

Leadership positions.

I am my class' representative to the Curriculum sub committee ( this is an elected position.)

I am also likely to ascend to an executive position with Kappa Psi by the end of the semester.

Besides some improvement in my GPA what else should I be doing. I am currently building relationships to help boost my anticipated letters of recommendation.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys so before I entered the professional phase I decided I wanted to take steps to gain a residency after graduation. I just wanted to informally list some things I'm doing and see what you guys think I can do to better my chances.

As I said I'm a PY1 I finished my first semester with a 3.0

Jobs wise
I'm an intern at a hospital in the UPMC system, I've been working there for 7 months now

Im also an intern at an MTM pharmacy, and I mostly deal with adherence issue cases for star ratings.

Research.
I have started undergrad research in one of my professors labs, and will likely be a middle author on a published research paper within the next year.

Organizations
I'm a member of ASHP, PPA and Kappa Psi.

Leadership positions.

I am my class' representative to the Curriculum sub committee ( this is an elected position.)

I am also likely to ascend to an executive position with Kappa Psi by the end of the semester.

Besides some improvement in my GPA what else should I be doing. I am currently building relationships to help boost my anticipated letters of recommendation.

To me it sounds like you're definitely on the right track! As you already noted, keep an eye on your grades. Be sure you don't take so much on that your grades suffer (balance is the key :)) you definitely want to keep your GPA above a 3.0, if not higher!

Congrats on setting yourself up for success!

Look for a preceptor to do an MUE or other research project with at UPMC. Try to obtain a leadership position (president, VP) at one of the health-system organizations. Sounds like you're doing just fine for a P1, just keep that GPA > 3.0 and you'll be a good well-rounded candidate!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep yourself well-rounded! You have a lot of pharmacy heavy things going on right now, including school. Many residency interviews will ask what your other passions are besides pharmacy. Make sure to keep up with those as well. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Don't spread yourself too thin. P1 is the easiest year academically...3.0 is a bit precarious in that respect. Your extracurricular activites will suit you well if they train you in pharmacy and leadership skills and patient interaction. Research may not necessarily be a good time investment unless you have a specific goal in mind you are trying to meet with the research - for example, if you think you may want to do research in the future. Residency differs from a fellowship, however...for a clinical pharmacist, lab work is not very relevant. Most pharmacists that are involved in research are doing clinical research, not lab work.

You may want to see what kind of projects you can get involved at your hospital job. Learn how to collect data and learn about quantifying hospital performance as it's relevant to the pharmacy department. Your daily duties will be the most important, because that's what you are being paid to do, but if you show interest in the big picture and how pharmacists fit into the big picture of the hospital and the health care system, that will be noticed.

Pad that GPA for future Bs (just in case). Although it may be variable based on school, Pathophysiology and Therapeutics in years 2-3 will test you.