PA or DO ????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modernFamily

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:

I always wanted to be a Doctor, but life got in the way.....
Fast forward.....
Now at 42 divorced, remarried, with twelve year old son (Manny).
I am a full time student at a state college in my Junior year as Biology major and have managed to keep a 3.7 GPA. My original plan was PA school because of
1) my age
2) not wanting to do the extra 3 years of residency after med school
3) not wanting to take on such big debt so late in my life.
But now after a friend of mine who was a PA for 7 years decided to go back to school and do the few pre-reqs she needed for med school, took the MCAT and got ACCEPTED at 38 (I'm so jealous:love:
......am starting to ask my self why not ??

Members don't see this ad.

Fast forward.....
I am a full time student at a state college in my Junior year as Biology major and have managed to keep a 3.7 GPA. My original plan was PA school because of
1) my age
But now after a friend of mine who was a PA for 7 years decided to go back to school and do the few pre-reqs she needed for med school, took the MCAT and got ACCEPTED at 38 (I'm so jealous:love:

I would say study hard and do good in your prerequisite classes, since they are all usually part of the bio degree, and apply to MD and DO schools. 42 is not too old to apply and you might as well do what you always wanted instead of what you think you need to, I think you will be much happier doing what you always wanted.

I would also say to go ahead and shadow some Physicians and PA's, at least that would give you a perspective of what both fields are like and you can see which one you would probably prefer.

Good luck and best wishes

Fast forward.....
1) my age

I started my 1st year of medical school @ 52. The question is not age, but desire and determination.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd go for DO. For PA, I think for most PA schools you have to have 2-3 yrs of real on the job clinical experience. So, I think in the long run DO won't take much longer. You don't want to be a PA and look back later in life and wish could go back to be a physician. If your passionate about becoming a doc, I say go for it!

I think you need to decide if you want to be a PA or a physician. Don't let one PA make the decision for you... If you've wanted to be a doc your whole life, being a PA is probably going to feel like settling or compromising, and you have to decide if it is or not... If you are going into this feeling like many roles in healthcare would be fine, look into them, as it may be a better option than med school... But you have to decide... For the record, I myself chose DO because I have always wanted to be a doctor, not a PA/NP or RN...

I second the posts above me. PA's and physicians have different roles and responsibilities, and you're better off choosing to be what you want to be, not what is more convenient.

Fast forward.....
1) my age

Just make your rich husband Jay pay for it, Gloria.

Gloria-Jay-gloria-and-jay-modern-family-24791231-427-485.jpg

Curvy Colombian with a thick accent :thumbup:

Remarried to a Gringo :thumbup:

Has a 12 year old Boy going on 30 :thumbup:

New husband is loaded :thumbdown: FAIL

............so close and yet so far.........:laugh:

The physician wields a double edged sword. One of total commitment.

I'm preparing for end of 2nd year board exams. There's just no way to short cut any of this. It's a steep climb the whole way. Any sane person will wonder many times over about the easier path they could have taken--ie. PA or NP.

I don't see any glory awaiting either. So to make a decent decision you have to be grounded in the realities of medicine as best you can.

You need proximity to do this. If you get splattered with spit and blood when the the fighters get right-crossed then you're in the right spot. If not...then you roll the dice big. Really big.

I'm content with my choice. Couldn't have gone the shorter route to end up at the middle position. And by that I mean in the middle position in the clinical process. Self-directed practice for the mid level is more attainable in the rural and underserved areas or by the good fortune of your working relationships. Neither proposition being appealing to me.

But to be certain. What I would not have not know before. Is that there is absolutely no equivalence between these two careers. Despite what the public thinks. Despite what the policy makers think. If you haven't paid the enormous sacrifice to become a doctor than you just haven't. And you're in no position to evaluate the difference.

That is the double edge--sacrifice. It's not that fun. It's years of very hard work. That could be spent frolicking in your interests outside of work.

So the question is internal. And must be investigated intuitively with clinical experience. And in the end will be a bit of a gamble. If you don't find a field that interests you. Then you will have done one of the stupidest things you could have ever done.

Last edited:

Fast forward.....
1) my age

First off figure out which path you want...they're very different. Then go Nike on it and Just Do It. <-- please vote for me for corniest line in SDN history.

Don't let age deter you from anything. If you start med school next year at 43 you'll be 47 when you graduate. Soooo much older than your classmates, right? But guess what? You're going to be 47 some day....might as well be 47 and a doctor. You'd finish IM @ 50. You can still knock out a 20 year career! Do it man....if it's the right fit.

And for the record, we've got a guy in his 50's in our class and his perspective on things is awesome...it really adds to the education of everyone around us. Seriously. His maturity is a breath of fresh air sometimes.