PA School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Geoff

Mzungu
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDNers,
Hello, I just have a few questions about PA school because I am really unfamiliar with it. I know quite a lot about the medical school process and was just wondering the comparisons.

I am going to graduate from my school with a BS in Biology. Do I then apply to a PA school to recieve my masters? Does that take just 2 years or more? I know after Medical School there is internship and residency. Is there something equivilant for a PA to do?

- Geoff

Members don't see this ad.

see the thread" difference between pa and np" on this forum. it includes a brief discussion of each

Most PA programs require a B.S. degree, and some also require that you work for 1+ years in a job of direct patient care before applying. I think they all prefer that you have some sort of patient contact first so that you know what you're getting into. Anyway, once you get your B.S. degree, the PA program then awards you a Master's after two years.

...OR there are a few programs out there that you can get into without having a degree first. Mine and some others condense your premedical training into the first 2-3 years of the program and then give you 2 years of a professional phase. These programs can award either a B.S. or an M.S. Either degree will enable you to take the PANCE (certifying exam) and be certified to practice as a PA. Most employers don't care whether you have a bachelor's or master's degree, as long as you're competent.

I hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops -- I forgot to answer part of your question. Residencies are not required for PAs, but they do exist. PA residencies are [relatively rare and] one year long, designed to give you in-depth experience in any given specialty. I hear that they're very intense; but at any rate, they are optional.