pa to md

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA transition

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,

i am 22 yrs old, recent graduate from college w a bachelors of science and certificate in physician assistant studies (gpa 3.7). I have been practicing as a physician assistant for the past 7 months, in surgery.

my goal now is to apply to medical school but within the ny/nj area. my dream school= suny downstate. i recently began prepping for the mcat, and i am taking a kaplan course that runs from now til august. mcats are august 18th. my diagnostic score was discouraging and i am finding the chem/physics material to be difficult. my last 2 years of college were based on learning medicine.

if i score less than a 30 on the mcat, do u guys advise to defer my med school apps n try for next year? or should i apply anyway n hope that my experience in the medical field will shine above all else.
let me know your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

hello all,

i am 22 yrs old, recent graduate from college w a bachelors of science and certificate in physician assistant studies (gpa 3.7). I have been practicing as a physician assistant for the past 7 months, in surgery.

my goal now is to apply to medical school but within the ny/nj area. my dream school= suny downstate. i recently began prepping for the mcat, and i am taking a kaplan course that runs from now til august. mcats are august 18th. my diagnostic score was discouraging and i am finding the chem/physics material to be difficult. my last 2 years of college were based on learning medicine.

if i score less than a 30 on the mcat, do u guys advise to defer my med school apps n try for next year? or should i apply anyway n hope that my experience in the medical field will shine above all else.

To be honest, I would wait a year. Right now you are in a huge transition (college to real world). You have a great profession. Since you are 22, you have plenty of time.

hello all,

If you think you might not do well on the mcat, consider DO school as well. They are very friendy to PA.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the advice guys. im just dead set on going to medical school. it all came to me within the last few months. i feel like if i dont try now then i may regret it in the future. initially i was only considering US-md schools. but it seems like i may have to broaden my options,

thanks for the advice guys. im just dead set on going to medical school. it all came to me within the last few months. i feel like if i dont try now then i may regret it in the future. initially i was only considering US-md schools. but it seems like i may have to broaden my options,
Not necessarily true. I've heard that Kaplan isn't that great for learning the material, EK and TBR are better sources, but these are the things that I've read off of SDN.

Also, nothing against foreign medical school graduates, but if your goal is to practice medicine in the U.S., you will want to attend a school here in the States.

Check out the MCAT Discussion forum as well to see if that can help you understand the test itself and/or the content better. Good luck!:)