PA vs DO vs DPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jwolfe5

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to my quarter life crisis.
I have always thought I wanted to be a MD in the ED. After some scribing, I’ve noticed that they do less procedures than I originally thought. I like the hands on stuff. Now I dont know what I want and its stressing me out. I could try for DO, but the MCAT and I are not friends. I could try for podiatry because I like wound care. The third option is PA. More procedures than the MDs, was less responsibility and schooling. I am 26 so I want to this higher education ball rolling.

which one would you choose?
The goal is lots of hands on, and LOTS of time off. I want to be in medicine, but I dont want to work 80 hr weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Look... you really have no idea what you’re talking about.

My advise is to research each of these options, in depth. Shadow each of these options. There’s more to medicine than EM.

You’re 26 and biting at the bit to “do something”. Take the time now to figure out what’s best for you in the long run. Each of these paths have plenty of MCAT-esque exams along the way. You need to find your fit.

Reactions: 1 users
Can't tell if you're serious or not. None of what you said made sense or have anything to do with reality.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I must have not explained myself very well.

I’m just looking for feedback on which of the 3 will give me the best work/life balance based on personal opinions. I have researched all options extensively, but posted in hopes of getting a different perspective.

I’m just looking for feedback on which of the 3 will give me the best work/life balance based on personal opinions. I have researched all options extensively, but posted in hopes of getting a different perspective.
The research you did is not extensive enough. Try harder.

If your goal is to do procedures, MD or DO will give you the most flexibility. There are plenty of specialties and subspecialties that would give you the chance to do all the procedures you want.

I'm sure as a PA you would be able to, but again, you would be limited. PAs do not have the same practice rights as MDs or DOs.

DPM might not be a bad option, since all podiatry residencies are surgical now. You just need to be sure you want to focus on the foot and ankle for the rest of your career. But if you are struggling with the MCAT, DPM schools are a little more forgiving in that aspect.

Good luck with your decision.

Definitely not MD or DO based on your original post.

PA would be your best bet but you likely won't get a lot of procedures (or if you do they will be small things like joint injections or skin shave biopsies).

Sounds like you want to be a PA. They have a better work-life balance, still do some procedures, still be in medicine, and make good money. PA school is short and you can specialize in nearly every field of medicine (and change it through out your career)

If you end up hating PA, I know LECOM has a PA to DO bridge program you can apply to.

If you're into wound care then podiatry can def give you that. It's a very procedural field. You will be surgically trained but you don't have to practice surgery, a lot don't. Diabetic Limb Salvage is a pretty big part of podiatry. I recommend finding a pod and shadowing. If you don't like the thought of being limited to the foot and ankle then podiatry will surely disappoint. Good luck.

Podiatry sounds like a real option for you. I'm not sure what that scene is like, but I'll bet it's very refreshing for them to actually get applicants who express a sincere interest in podiatry. My podiatrist is a nice guy who freely admits he didn't get into medical school, but he seems happy. I wish I was only 26...you'll be fine. Shadow a podiatrist and go DPM. Average MCAT is like 497 or something! You have to crack 500 at least even for DO, so if the MCAT is not your friend, that might not be the best route. PA school isn't actually that easy to get into. In my region you need upwards of 3000 clinical hours to get in. That's a lot of time if you're feeling crunched for time!

OP, while it might be easier to get into a Podiatry program, you need to have an interest in the field and be okay with specializing in the lower extremities only. Like I say in the pod forum, getting in is easy, but making out is another story.

We have had students in the past that got accepted but lost interest in the field after 2nd year and left, and I think now they're re-taking the MCAT/additional classes to try for another field. Then there are those that can't handle the curriculum and fail out after the first term. This is all a waste of their time and money.

That said, you need to shadow each field you are interested in. Don't just listen to what we say here on SDN or what your friends/relatives are saying; get out to the real world, shadow multiple people in each field from young to old, from a recent grad to someone who's been in practice for a while, then make a decision.

After all that, if you're still interested in podiatry and got a question then come to the pod forum and ask away; we are happy to help.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

PA based on the lifestyle you want. Do not underestimate the competitiveness of PA school either though.

PA based on the lifestyle you want. Do not underestimate the competitiveness of PA school either though.
So true. A couple of my former students are doing PA, one had 6000 clinical hours, and the other, frankly I’m shocked she didn’t go MD. I only TA upper level classes that are pretty hard, and I could have used her exams as the grading key she was so meticulous!

I think you should go PA based on what you have said, shorter turn around time from school to paycheck, less time working and more flexibility. You will have a lessened scope, but if you want to do some minor procedures in an ED, that shouldn't be a problem. If you can't stand the thought of less authority, go MD/DO. The MCAT sucks sure, but I wouldn't let that one thing be what what deters you, a few months of dedicated study to it and it will be a distant memory.

You may get minor procedures in the ED, but be prepared to deal with the minor illness in the ED too. All ED’s triage, many strictly put PAs on the lower level acuity stuff, think urgent care. I’m sure you could find a good fit as a PA though. That’s the main benefit of the career field, you’re not tied to residency trained field. Also don’t expect getting into PA school to be easy just because it’s less schooling than MD/DO. It is highly competitive.

Please don’t pursue becoming a physician. You are not ready for the commitment and lifestyle.

It sounds like you might be suited to midlevel to do the grunt work and tickle your itch for procedures.

I don’t understand your interest in DO but not MD while they are essentially different routes to the same destination. You need more information and education; read up and shadow.

Hello and welcome to my quarter life crisis.
I have always thought I wanted to be a MD in the ED. After some scribing, I’ve noticed that they do less procedures than I originally thought. I like the hands on stuff. Now I dont know what I want and its stressing me out. I could try for DO, but the MCAT and I are not friends. I could try for podiatry because I like wound care. The third option is PA. More procedures than the MDs, was less responsibility and schooling. I am 26 so I want to this higher education ball rolling.

which one would you choose?
The goal is lots of hands on, and LOTS of time off. I want to be in medicine, but I dont want to work 80 hr weeks.
This post is stink of ignorance

This post is stink of ignorance
Also, I shadowed an ED doc before I applied and felt like he did a ton of procedures, much more procedures than the hospitalists that I work with do. He also only worked 3-4 8 hours shifts. I'm not sure how typical a schedule that is for an ED doc as I'm sure it varies where you work, but it didn't seem too bad other than the fact that the shift times were all over the place. I've also never seen a Doc be cussed at so much/disrespected so regularly that I wonder how that affects your overall morale after many years.