Quantcast

PA vs MD in terms of academics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notsosureanymore

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I know this is asked a lot but I'm generally more curious about the actual coursework/rotations. I am an undergrad student deciding which path to take and I want to know how the depth of knowledge varies. Many PA schools will do 15 months of didactic work. A lot of medical schools are thinning down their didactic years and becoming ~16 months of lecture and more time to study for the USMLE and do research etc. If they are so similar in the timing of lecture coursework, how much more in-depth is the med school knowledge compared to what PAs learn? I know for rotations the med students have more time for electives and research/interviews, but when on the rotations, how do the roles vary? Are there many things that med students can do that PAs cannot?

I'm not making a final decision based on this post but I am curious to hear people's opinions. Some PA schools are becoming as long as 3 years (USC) and at that point, it would just make sense to go to medical school.
Also, if you want to add why you chose one over the other i am curious to hear your thoughts!