This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted830324

I graduated high school not too long ago and I go to a community college. My CC has a really good nursing program but I also am really interested in becoming an X Ray Tech. I do want to be a provider someday but at the same time my parents want me to get out and start working a professional job in the near future. I have been leaning towards going the PA route because a local four year university that I live by has a really good PA program. Also if I were to become an X Ray Tech, I could work on my B.S. in Biology while working (I would do this by going to college part time) and all of the pre reqs needed for PA school. It would take several years to complete my bachelors but I would be able to apply to the program in my early 30’s! I also have thought about going the NP route which I would have to become a nurse first and earn my ADN (Associates degree in nursing). If I did this I would then transfer to my local four year university (same university with the PA program) and get my BSN. The closest NP program is about an hour away at another four year university. I have heard that PA’s tend to make more money and are more respected especially in the hospital. I also have thought about working as an X Ray Tech and then working on my B.S. in Biology and then applying to several medical schools (D.O. and M.D.). I would be in my early 30’s when I would apply and graduate in my mid 30’s, which would allow me to enter residency and complete it probably by 40. Which really is the best route? I’m not really the strongest in math and science. I’ve had to take remedial math courses at my CC, starting with Algebra 1 but i’ve made A’s in those courses. Should I go PA, NP, or M.D./D.O.?

Members don't see this ad.