Packing for Away Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swlabr1980

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'll be spending most of my fourth year living in student housing at various rotation sites. Since I've never been technically homeless for 11 months straight, I was wondering if any students out there had suggestions for living efficiently on the road. One good tip I've received is getting a clothes hanging bar for your car. What other ideas have you heard?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not there yet, but I was thinking of doing similar things in the future. How much do the student housings go for? I know not every place has it, but if you can give me ball park figures of the cost I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

So I'll be spending most of my fourth year living in student housing at various rotation sites. Since I've never been technically homeless for 11 months straight, I was wondering if any students out there had suggestions for living efficiently on the road. One good tip I've received is getting a clothes hanging bar for your car. What other ideas have you heard?

Condoms.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'd like some advice on this topic too.

i think an important thing to remember is that on any given week, you'll be in dress clothes more than in casual clothes. so pack accordingly.

try to pack away some gym clothes and running shoes/trainers so you can get at least a little exercise while you're away.

also think its important to pack a lot of neutrals so that you can mix and match all your stuff together.

for the gents, you can get cheap plastic shoe trees at target/kmart that will keep your dress shoes in nice shape without making your bag heavy like cedar shoe trees will.

I'm in this boat too, for 3rd year. My migrant status doesn't start til next week, but here's my own plan combined with some of the suggestions I've gotten from others:

"Kitchen/ Cleaning": a pair of plastic/microwave safe plates/bowls/cups + some silverware with a couple of mugs, along with a can opener/measuring cup, also I have this little microwave pot from pampered chef that can make pasta, roll of paper towels just in case. I also got a mini Keurig for the coffee fix. Some cleaning items like a small thing of dish soap + a couple sponges, a container of clorox wipes. Laundry detergent/ dryer sheets and stain remover.

"Bathroom": 3 sets of towels, soap/shampoo/toiletries you use often, flip flops (in case the shower is nasty), shower caddy, a few rolls of toilet paper just in case. I also have a candle and some scented sachets for dresser drawers and some jelly airfresheners for bathroom, again- just in case the place is gross.

"Bedroom": a set of twin sheets and a set of full sheets in case the bed is a different size and there's no store nearby (personally I bought a set of twin sheets that I like more, and a set of full sheets that I intend to keep in packaging and return later if I get no full size beds, sounds like twin is more likely). Pillows x2, Blanket. Other bedroom items as you see fit :luck:

"Tools/Equipment/Misc": any books you need for rotations or school supplies you use often (I'm bringing my laptop/speakers/mouse/hard drive... things like scissors, tape, hole punch, and stapler, and some basic office supplies like a binder, paper, post-its. Small desk lamp, alarm clock, hammer and screw driver, some command-hooks. Miniature ironing board + iron. Flashlight. Roll of quarters for laundry. I have a small (like 1 foot by 6 inches) lock safe for important documents. Power strip. Fan/space heater depending on the season.

Clothes depending on the season; more dress clothes than casual clothes, probably. 1 nice outfit in case you have to do something more formal; 3-5 workout outfits + shoes. I have the benefit of having my parents within a couple hours so I will leave anything off-season at their place.

As for where I will put all this stuff, I'm getting a sterilite tub to keep in my trunk to store things that won't always be used. I have 1 large suitcase and 1 smaller carry-on sized suitcase for my clothes + taking hangers. I have a couple smaller plastic containers for things that will be used more often like toiletries and kitchen/bath supplies.

Some other suggestions I've gotten and probably won't be doing: a wifi hotspot, AAA auto coverage, netflix subscription.

I'm in this boat too, for 3rd year. My migrant status doesn't start til next week, but here's my own plan combined with some of the suggestions I've gotten from others:

"Kitchen/ Cleaning": a pair of plastic/microwave safe plates/bowls/cups + some silverware with a couple of mugs, along with a can opener/measuring cup, also I have this little microwave pot from pampered chef that can make pasta, roll of paper towels just in case. I also got a mini Keurig for the coffee fix. Some cleaning items like a small thing of dish soap + a couple sponges, a container of clorox wipes. Laundry detergent/ dryer sheets and stain remover.

"Bathroom": 3 sets of towels, soap/shampoo/toiletries you use often, flip flops (in case the shower is nasty), shower caddy, a few rolls of toilet paper just in case. I also have a candle and some scented sachets for dresser drawers and some jelly airfresheners for bathroom, again- just in case the place is gross.

"Bedroom": a set of twin sheets and a set of full sheets in case the bed is a different size and there's no store nearby (personally I bought a set of twin sheets that I like more, and a set of full sheets that I intend to keep in packaging and return later if I get no full size beds, sounds like twin is more likely). Pillows x2, Blanket. Other bedroom items as you see fit :luck:

"Tools/Equipment/Misc": any books you need for rotations or school supplies you use often (I'm bringing my laptop/speakers/mouse/hard drive... things like scissors, tape, hole punch, and stapler, and some basic office supplies like a binder, paper, post-its. Small desk lamp, alarm clock, hammer and screw driver, some command-hooks. Miniature ironing board + iron. Flashlight. Roll of quarters for laundry. I have a small (like 1 foot by 6 inches) lock safe for important documents. Power strip. Fan/space heater depending on the season.

Clothes depending on the season; more dress clothes than casual clothes, probably. 1 nice outfit in case you have to do something more formal; 3-5 workout outfits + shoes. I have the benefit of having my parents within a couple hours so I will leave anything off-season at their place.

As for where I will put all this stuff, I'm getting a sterilite tub to keep in my trunk to store things that won't always be used. I have 1 large suitcase and 1 smaller carry-on sized suitcase for my clothes + taking hangers. I have a couple smaller plastic containers for things that will be used more often like toiletries and kitchen/bath supplies.

Some other suggestions I've gotten and probably won't be doing: a wifi hotspot, AAA auto coverage, netflix subscription.

Damn. That is a lot of crap.

Damn. That is a lot of crap.

Eh, not really. If you eliminate the explanations, it's like 30 items, which is entirely reasonable for someone who is moving from place to place every month for a year, and in my case, 2 years. Then again, I am a notorious over-packer and I was a girl scout long long ago... :oops: