Paid Externships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takkat198

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that there are a variety of paid and unpaid 4th year audiology externships out there, but does anyone have more specific information about how likely it is to get a paid externship?

Are they usually extremely competitive? Can you usually find one if you're willing to move?

Any insight would be helpful; I have no idea what to expect. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Check the externship site on Audiology online and also check the externship listings on hearcareers. You can access the externship registry from the American Academy of Audiology website.

It's very easy to get a paid externship if you are not bound to a small geographical area.

The VA hospitals often have many paid externship sites (amazing gig if you can get it, but competitive) and they often aren't posted on the externship sites. So if you are interested in this amazing opportunity then I'd recommend you contact different audiologists at different VA hospitals. They usually start the search process in late fall and many don't know if they get a student or students until about March, so it can be a little worrisome if you a type A personality who likes to get their ducks in a row.

Also check with you school they often have a list of externship sites that students from your program have went to and often it will list if they were paid or not.