Paid position in lieu of Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ivfmd

ocpregnancy.com
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am on part-time faculty at a Southern California med school and I have a unique private practice in a very specialized field.

For the past 10 years, I have had thirteen students rotate through, meaning they have worked with us for 12-36 months after graduating college, while preparing for their applications towards medical school, PA school, NP programs, genetic counseling school etc.

The way it has worked is that the students have had a very memorable experience working full time in a very intellectually stimulating environment. After they are ready, I can write a sincere accurate powerful recommendation letter on their behalf. Of note, 12 out of the 13 have gained acceptance into their desired field. In addition, they have reported that their experience with us has given them a lot of solid ammunition for their personal statements and interviews.

We have two new positions to fill. We typically get applicants (about 40 for each available position) through word of mouth or through the university placement programs. I thought that some specific people on this forum might find this information of interest as well.

It does require a full time commitment for at least a year, so if you're planning on going straight through from undergrad to med school, then it wouldn't work for you. But if you are entertaining options of taking a year of research or volunteering, then it would be of benefit to you to at least check it out. It is in Orange County, California.

Message me and I'll send you a link to the official job posting. Good luck.

For those of you for whom this opportunity is geographically inaccessible, I would be glad to share with you how you could perhaps find physicians in your area who could help you create a position for such a win/win situation.

We get brilliant, interested, hard working students to work for us and they get a chance to really delve into the medical field with lots of teaching and lots of opportunity to practice technical skills and clinical "people skills".

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping for the up-and-coming applicants because honestly, if I could do it all again, I might try something like this...

We've received many responses and will start interviewing (nobody from this site). Thanks for your interest.

There were a surprisingly large number of out-of-state respondents from this site asking how to find an opportunity similar to this in their own area. I started responding individually, but it got overwhelming. I will try to post a public answer to that on this forum within the next few weeks.